5.0 out of 5 stars POSSESSED
One hell of a debut from Leeds Eagulls
Every song carries gnarling hints of anguish, despair and pure anger via frontman George Mitchell's brute northern accent.
This is punk at its very best start to finish. All tracks carry a similar turbid flow making it impossible to single out one. May well be the finest record we see this year!
Published 6 months ago by Oliver

Published 4 months ago by A. Sweeney

5.0 out of 5 stars POSSESSED, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Eagulls [VINYL] (Vinyl)
One hell of a debut from Leeds Eagulls

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice smack of nostalgia, 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: Eagulls (Audio CD)
This is fabulously 1980s indie/goth. After 3 tracks I start to feel like I don't like the singers singing. By the last track I'm disappointed that an obviously talented band are fronted by a very limited vocal style/range. I saw these guys at Reading festival 2014 and they sounded just like the CD... which was a shame because, by the third song, I was starting to feel like I really didn't like the singer.
However, as anyone old enough will tell you, there was a lot of tat out there in the 80's, and plenty of it much worse than this. If you want a big smack of reminiscence from a band who are touring and looking like they mean it, if you like a bit of Bauhaus, Clash, JAMC - give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eagulls First Album, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Eagulls (MP3 Download)
We all know that the first album by a band is usually the best one, and THIS album is truly GREAT - Am trying really hard Not to play it continuously - Lets hope they bring out another in years to come that equals this one.
I STRONGLY recommend buying this album, Even if you are a Disco nut, It WILL convert you and save your soul;
Thanks Lads, Great Album,,.

5.0 out of 5 stars My initial thoughts were this is the best debut album since the Clash's self titled debut album ..., 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: Eagulls (Audio CD)
My initial thoughts were this is the best debut album since the Clash's self titled debut album in 1977. On reflection this is the best album since the Clash's first effort. Essential listening for anyone into punk, post-punk, indie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some people need to check their spelling!!, 15 April 2014
W. G. Hopkins (Dorset England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eagulls (Audio CD)
This is NOT The Eagles of Hotel California fame. This is a British Punk/Indie band of note. Different spelling, different sound, different band. Good first effort.

1.0 out of 5 stars I have difficulty expressing, in words, how much I dislike this album..., 16 May 2014
A. Sweeney "I don't care what you call me" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Eagulls (MP3 Download)
I have had the misfortune to see Eagulls not once but twice in the last few months. First, they supported Franz Ferdinand back in March and then Suede at the Royal Albert Hall for the Teenage Cancer Trust gig. They are, without doubt, one of the worst bands I have ever seen in my entire life (and I've seen hundreds). Every single song sounded the same, a sludge of guitars with some barely comprehensible lyrics mumbled over the top. At one point I actually wondered if this was a joke, but it appears that these guys are for real. Amazing.

If some people like this kind of tuneless, repetitive dirge, then that's up to them, but Eagulls have one sound and they use it a lot. I checked out this album, not to be purposefully mean and scathing, but to see if they were any different on record to their live performances, to see if there was any better clarity of sound... to see how they have come this far, if I'm honest. Apart from being able to hear the vocalist a little better (I didn't even know that the word on their arguably best track was "Possessed", it was so muffled), it has become clear that they sound pretty much the same live as they do in the studio. One positive, because I don't like to just slate a band of musicians who are working hard to get their music out there - I can see how, if you hear one song of theirs, such as "Possessed" in isolation, in a mix of other music, it could be listenable and moderately enjoyable. In amongst all their other songs, however, which all maddeningly sound the same, a song like that gets lost.

I'm fascinated and baffled by this band. I have a very wide, eclectic taste in music from the pretty to the nasty, but how can something so dull and tuneless which relies on nothing other than a wall of guitar noise, a driving beat and not much else gain such a following, when there is a world of music out there with so much more to offer? After a few tracks, Eagulls make me want to disable my eardrums with the help of a couple of knitting needles. They're probably one of those love them or hate them bands. Sadly, I'm firmly in the latter camp, sorry - they're so much not my cup of tea, they're practically iced decaf coffee, with that vanilla syrup in it I hate. The album cover is terrific, though. Congrats to whoever designed that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Soft rock legends ruin their legacy, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Eagulls (MP3 Download)
I, like most of the civilised world adore the Eagles. Smooth rockin', freeway drivin' classics which capture the redneck heart of the good ol' US of A. Recent reform tours have been a timely reminder of their soaring genius so you can image how ecstatic I was upon finding this new CD in my local supermarket. In hindsight it's obvious to see that whoever was responsible for the artwork was clearly having a laugh at the bands expense - a burnt-out car next to some old doss house. Hardly the gleaming Chevrolet parked outside a Californian hotel that we have come to expect.

What Glen Frey and Don Henley have come up with here defies belief. The idea that singing in some faux English accent over some 2 bob riffs that even Cast (remember them?) would reject is deeply saddening. They are clearly conscious of creating a new audience but have missed their target spectacularly . If it wasn't for their timeless back catalogue they'd would been found dead in the desert on this evidence.

Only on track 'Tough Luck' do they come anywhere close to their previous majesty, although lyrically it leaves a lot to be desired, shouting 'tough luck' over and over and over again is hardly going to endear them to the Ivor Norvello Awards panel.

One more for the road? ...NO THANKS!

5.0 out of 5 stars As amazing on record as they are live., 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Eagulls (MP3 Download)
As essential as a visit to Leeds. Fresh, exciting and real. If you like listening to new Foo Fighters material on Radio 2 then move on. If you love independent new music, get this.

Eagulls
Eagulls by Eagulls (Audio CD - 2014)