Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£10.39

on 10 November 2013
This is the latest greatest hits triumph for The (true) King, tying in with the TV show broadcast on 8th Nov 2013.

It is worth getting the deluxe edition for the second CD to make a more comprehensive collection. Disc 1 concentrates on the 20 songs identified in the ITV poll that claim to be the 20 favourite songs from Elvis. Disc 2 adds another 24 tracks made up in the main of other great Elvis hits, plus the live versions of "Suspicious Minds", "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" and Elvis's own version of "O Come All Ye Faithful". The latter is a a pre-cursor to the forthcoming Christmas single which will be released as a duet with Susan Boyle.O Come All Ye Faithfull

Now in watching the TV special I probably would have put some of the songs from Disc 2 ahead of some from Disc 1. For example, the two time No.1, "One Night (With You)" ahead of "King Creole" and one of my most favourites is "Burning Love". "Always On My Mind" is a slightly surprising No.1 favourite song although it has charted as much as any other Elvis single over the years (1970's, 1980's, 1990's and 2000's) so why not, it's undoubtedly a fine song. I'm not necessarily surprised that it's a 70's song that topped the poll though. Whilst songs from this era are often under rated by critics in comparison to the material from the 1950's, a lot of fans do love the 1970's material. It is during these years that Elvis was the most complete as an entertainer.

Why do these songs still sell in such quantity? It's hard to define but simply they mean so much to so many people.

When I was about 5 to 10 years old between 1975 and 1980, Sunday morning was dedicated to playing the 40 Greatest Hits album, singing and dancing along.

When I picked this latest compilation up I did exactly the same at 43.

People don't just like this music, they love it, when you love it it's part of your heart and soul.
22 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 November 2013
All the die hard fans will have this but hey I bought it for the great value of having 40 great masters by the king of music Elvis Presley and it comes with a nice set of picture cards, this is a great car CD set and that's where it will stay for me as I have 1000's of Elvis cd's already.
This cd that will introduce the younger kids to Elvis when they have seen the show this Friday night, Elvis is bigger in death than he was in life, apart from already having 156 albums to his name that charted ,this will be the first greatest hits since Elvis No.1 in 2002 which sold over 11 million copies.
on 10 November 2013
A collection of the hits that touched the world when Elvis exploded onto the music scene. Every one a classic. Listening to the hits, it's easy to understand why he's called The King. A fine legacy to the man who undoubtedly was the original superstar.
on 13 November 2013
Of course many El fans already have all these great hits - many more than featured in the TV programme - indeed a lot of these I bought the 45s, Even so it is nice to have this good value package with them all in one place - this is for the car - nicely presented in a box with a few separate photos. And for those who are new to Elvis then this is a must. Buy it - play it and then look further into the many other great El recordings.

Elvis you've been gone so long and we still miss you. But the music is always there. TCE.
The world fell silent when the unbelievable news came through that 'Elvis'
had died, August 16th 1977, now, over 36 years have passed, however his
'Legacy' his 'Music, ....Lives On.
Year after year his music is discovered for the first time by music lovers
that weren't around when 'Elvis' lived........truth is for those of us
that have followed 'The King' and his contemporary's from the early years
of 'Rock and Pop' probably have like myself a long list of favourite artists
the memories of whom we treasure........however the truth is, if you mention
some of those to many of todays music-lovers, they ask ..who ?....but, if
you mention the likes of 'Elvis' and The Beatles' they seem to know nearly
as much as we do.
Great music never dies.
I suspect each of us that followed the 'King' during his career would and
could list a very different 'Favourite' list than appears on-board, the all-time
'Elvis' favourite released on disc one, is as a result of a survey.
I myself think it a shame the CD's track list isn't in the Number '20' to
number '1' count down as presented to us on 'TV' -kind of feel that would have
been the logical thing to do......maybe that's just me ?
There are several numbers i'd liked to have seen on board and at least on
disc 2's play-list, one or two of which would almost certainly have been in
my personal 'all-time-favourite top 20 Elvis songs.
My all time favourite 'Elvis' track was actually released as the 'B-Side to
his 1960 hit 'Mess of Blues' that being 'Girl of my best Friend' as they
both charted in the UK they are now considered as a double 'A' release.
Some of the other numbers i'd like to have seen on the 2-Disc release are
'Little Sister' 'Old Shep' 'Don't Cry Daddy' 'My Boy' and 'One Broken Heart
for Sale' .......in truth of course 'The King' recorded so much material,
the wish-list could be a lot longer.
'Elvis' was as comfortable singing 'Ballads' and 'Love Songs' as was he shakin'
out 'Rock'n'Roll........which is what has made his music so easy to admire
down the years.......doesn't matter what music you love , you'll probably
find an 'Elvis' track that gives you what you want to listen to.
I remember when 'Elvis' after doing his two-year army stint released the
song 'It's Now or Never' ....many wondered why their 'Rock' icon had
changed his style, in truth, he hadn't, if you look back to his 50's
recordings he had recorded and charted with Love and ballad songs then,
a prime example being his smash hit 'Love me Tender'
(I can still remember the shop where I bought 'It's Now or Never' in
back then, of course it's not there anymore, the shop that is)
Like many of you, I have quite an extensive collection of 'Elvis' CD's
and in fact 'Vinyl' which again like so many of you includes every song
on this 2-Disc deluxe set (with a couple of 'Elvis' picture cards included)
So why buy this ? .....well, even if not in the correct play order it is
a collection( on disc 1 ) of the Uk's all time favourite list....so, it's
'Elvis' memorabilia in some ways.
Either way, nice to see 'The King' back in the album charts, plus, I suspect
like myself many of you sit down and have 'Elvis' time on either your CD
player or even, and, your Record Player.....it's always nice to listen
to favourite sounds presented with different track order than perhaps
you normally listen too.
If you are deciding whether to buy the one disc version or the deluxe, i'd
say, if you can, buy the 2-Disc version.....a great collectors item.
At the end of the day......IT'S 'ELVIS'
55 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2013
So many words have been written about this Icon of the Rock world.
This collection , although not really original, is a fine tribute to Elvis.
on 9 November 2013
This is the best for a while but please if your buying it get the extended version its a cracker, happy listening
on 21 December 2013
So pleased I decided to go for the double album. Fantastic. Can't pick a favourite, which ever one I am listening to at that moment. Waited years to get the laughing version of "Are You Lonesome Tonight" and "Oh Come All Ye Faithfully" is my new Christmas fav. recording.

From his early recordings to the later ones Elvis is fantastic. The one. The ONLY King.
on 7 December 2013
I'm a huge Elvis fan, and it was great to have a TV show based on Elvis, there's not enough of Elvis on TV.
There's no new songs on the discs, but if you are a huge fan, it doesn't matter, it's Elvis, pure and simple, it has quite a few of my many fave's for example If I can Dream, Way Down, to name a few.
My discs are getting played over and over again, and the range of voice that Elvis had is amazing, he didn't get enough recognition for that when he was alive, and for the way he arranged some of the songs he covered.
The discs for me are a must, fantastic
on 17 December 2013
this very succesful compilation proves that the king still rules , even so long after his death. Essential for all musiclovers young and older. I recommend the 2 cd-version above the sinlgle disc. It just costs you a very little bit more in comparison with the other and you get 24 of his great songs extra!Long live the king!