on 29 December 2013
I've given this book 5 stars, because it's one of those little gems you can only find on kindle, but which should be in print.
The story is set during the war of the roses which seems to be the new Rome for historical fiction.
Both books are entertaining and yet provide the flavour of the desperate times they are set in.
You can give the first book Feud a try for less than a quid and you won't be disappointed.
on 15 June 2015
The Elders are a dangerous family to know, especially when you are on their side. I must confess my ignorance of the period making up the Wars of the Roses, and discovering these books has coincided with my purchase of Conn Iggulden's second Wars of the Roses book- Trinity. Birks' book has a much faster pace than Igguldens book but without as much of the historical context. This is a good work of fiction, very readable and it has got me through a good few sessions at the gym- I have even spent longer on the cross trainer in order to keep reading. I have enjoyed the series so far and I am rapidly approaching the end of book three. I look forward to finding out what else Derek Birks has in the works (I'm not even a poet)
on 25 November 2014
This is the second of the series, after reading the fist I immediately downloaded this book and was not disappointed. The storyline is gripping, it brings this violent period of history to life and doesn't pull any punches. The characters are well described and I found myself being occasionally surprised when they get killed off, good old Ned (who must be covered in scars) keeps on going against all the odds. I really enjoyed the interaction between the females and their differing characters. Really looking forward to reading the next instalment.
on 14 May 2014
This is the second book in the series up to now, and should be read in that order. The plot is spun around the war of the roses, which is interesting in itself, and would probably be, unless interested, most readers only insight into this time. The writers style at first seems unusually descriptive about conversations by the characters, and at times has a likeable cheekiness added to them. I recommend this book, and look forward to the next hopefully asap.
on 3 August 2014
Having read Feud - the first book in this series - I was expecting great things from this book - and it did not disappoint. The story is told in great detail, the action is fast-paced and the characters elicit a great deal of sympathy and empathy. A Traitor's Fate is one of those increasingly rare stories which are impossible to put down - and yet, at the same time as you can't wait to get to the end, you don't want it to finish.
on 25 January 2014
Derek Birks an Author to look out for he brings his pages alive, history my favourite genre. This author can stand alongside Cornwell, Whyte, Scarrow and many more historical action writers. The story is historically correct, fast paced and bloody. Tarentino would love this, tons of battles and killings. eagerly await for the next episode
on 8 February 2014
An excellent second novel about the trials and tribulations are Ned Elder,his family and his loyal band of sworn men. Once again the many twists and turns of the story keeps you reluctant to stop reading. I look forward to the next instalment.
Thank you again Derek Birks.
on 6 June 2014
I have just finished the two novels in this series to date, and greatly enjoyed them. The complex plot is at all times well handled, and the stories give a sometimes shocking but probably very realistic flavour of this period in history. I look forward to the next instalment.
on 4 August 2015
Derek Birks has researched his subject in depth and portrayed the twists of the story brilliantly against the background of murder, mayhem and lust for power that was England of that era. I loved this galloping story which carries the reader forward at breakneck speed!
on 4 March 2015
I have just finished reading the second book, Both books have kept me with enthralled, a very believable character in Ned Elder, I have bought the 3rd book and can't wait to read it, you must give these books a read you will not regret it.Thanks Stewart Pearson