Format: DVD|Change

on 28 January 2014
I love this man, seriously! Ever since seeing the Paxman interview, I made it my mission to read/watch all of Russel Brands material. I'm so glad I did, it was such a revelation..
The Messiah Complex is a fantastic piece of work by Russell, I'm trying to encourage everyone to watch it! Like I say, more than a comedian.. This dvd did have me crying with laughter, but It gave me so much more than that. Whoever you are, if you are reading this, buy it and watch it, you will see what I mean! I could turn this in to a long review full of all sorts of praise for Russell, but I really feel like I wouldn't do him justice - it's something that the individual should connect with and decide for themself.
Brief summary - Very funny, and intelligent with it. That is the genius that is Russel Brand - to deliver comedy, but in such a unique, satisfying way. I wish there were more like him in the public eye!
on 28 December 2013
Ok I may be biased, I went to 6 warm up shows for this tour and watched it develop over as many months to what it finally became which is a brilliant, funny and educational show. Russell Brand is doing a revolution
on 13 December 2013
This man is a genius. I was at the show at the Hammersmith Apollo. Came out with a face ache because I laughed so much. having seen the actual show I didn't think I would find the DVD as funny. I needn't have worried, it had me laughing out loud.
on 26 February 2014
I love Russell brand and he is spot on when talking politics, he's funny witty and often crude, and I agree with him when he says if aliens landed on the earth and we had to take them to our leader, it would be quite embarrassing taking them to meet a half wit like david Cameron. Buy this DVD it's an eye opener but hilarious also.
on 7 February 2014
love love love everything about this DVD funny intellegent and great entertainment. choose full stars as im a big fan
on 14 March 2014
Was worth the money and a excellent DVD, would be the perfect gift or present for yourself, postage was cheap aswell
on 5 August 2015
This is the work of a clever, funny, rather loud and extrovert man, it is a lot of fun!!!!! The subject matter, that of "Messiahs" or heroes by any other name, is incisive, and of course the parallels of the way that celebrities are treated in our culture of today. The only man I find as funny is Ricky Gervais, but there's not a lot of room between them as they are both nutters that are extremely smart! Hilarious stuff.
on 8 January 2014
well worth a watch if you are a fan, made a great present. a great stand up dvd with some entertaining subjects.
on 22 January 2014
The evolution (or revolution?) of Russell Brand continues with this latest stand-up set following in the political and cultural vein of his recent Brand-X TV series on Sky Atlantic/FX. In this performance Russell explores the concept of the 'Messiah Complex', a condition by which the afflicted believe they are in some way god like or at least born to lead humankind down a path of their devising. He uses some of the most influential leaders from history, Gandhi, Jesus, Che Guevara, Malcolm X and even Hitler to examine the theory.

In the absence of strong spiritual leadership in western culture, it becomes evident that our society has become disjointed and heavily steered by advertising, marketing and media driven stereotypes and also that we are not properly represented by our politicians. Spotting this gap in the market, Russell steps forward to part the sea of materialism and greed to guide us on to the promised land (and probably try to sleep with the fairer among us).

Sounds a bit heavy, but when woven together with the self deprecating and deliciously vulgar humor that fans have come to love, this study becomes light and very enjoyable without betraying it's strong message. I would expect fans will love this. It is delivered in the same way as his 'Ponderland' series and, as mentioned earlier, the subject matter is in keeping with his 'Brand-X' material. Even if you are not familiar with these series, so long as you are aware of, and enjoy Russell Brand's comedy then this shouldn't disappoint. If you have somehow never heard of Mr Brand (which, to be fair, must mean you have been in captivity) or you have only really seen him on chat shows then be prepared for some strong sexual content here and there.

Russell's material, and personality for that matter, continue to develop and intrigue. Not many entertainers have the power to be this thought provoking whilst being incredibly funny. Whilst examining the Messiah Complex it is clear that Brand is also examining himself and his own beliefs and encouraging us to do the same. To quote another comedy phenomenon, Monty Python, "He's {probably} not the Messiah - He's a very naughty boy!".
on 18 October 2014
Russell being Russell and more. Brilliant show. I bought a couple for friends too and they loved them.