5.0 out of 5 stars More than a comedian..
I love this man, seriously! Ever since seeing the Paxman interview, I made it my mission to read/watch all of Russel Brands material. I'm so glad I did, it was such a revelation..
Published 5 months ago by Andal

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I was expecting much more after the hype Russell created on his promotion tour in UK and US. In his interviews he was going into areas of social and spiritual revolution which was insanely interesting. Especially in the one with Jeremy Paxman. Watch it you'll know what I mean.

Published 7 months ago by Cinek

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a comedian.., 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: Russell Brand - Messiah Complex [DVD] (DVD)
The Messiah Complex is a fantastic piece of work by Russell, I'm trying to encourage everyone to watch it! Like I say, more than a comedian.. This dvd did have me crying with laughter, but It gave me so much more than that. Whoever you are, if you are reading this, buy it and watch it, you will see what I mean! I could turn this in to a long review full of all sorts of praise for Russell, but I really feel like I wouldn't do him justice - it's something that the individual should connect with and decide for themself.
Brief summary - Very funny, and intelligent with it. That is the genius that is Russel Brand - to deliver comedy, but in such a unique, satisfying way. I wish there were more like him in the public eye!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Dec 2013
Ke Donn "Dr Mac's hanky" (godalming, u.k) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Brand - Messiah Complex [DVD] (DVD)
Ok I may be biased, I went to 6 warm up shows for this tour and watched it develop over as many months to what it finally became which is a brilliant, funny and educational show. Russell Brand is doing a revolution

5.0 out of 5 stars Vote brand, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Russell Brand - Messiah Complex [DVD] (DVD)
I love Russell brand and he is spot on when talking politics, he's funny witty and often crude, and I agree with him when he says if aliens landed on the earth and we had to take them to our leader, it would be quite embarrassing taking them to meet a half wit like david Cameron. Buy this DVD it's an eye opener but hilarious also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hilarious., 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Russell Brand - Messiah Complex [DVD] (DVD)
This man is a genius. I was at the show at the Hammersmith Apollo. Came out with a face ache because I laughed so much. having seen the actual show I didn't think I would find the DVD as funny. I needn't have worried, it had me laughing out loud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny gig, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Russell Brand - Messiah Complex [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent, very entertaining recording of the Hammersmith Apollo gig from Autumn 2013. That Russell first milked the culture of celebrity for all it was worth before bemoaning it in a very funny show makes the DVD all the more amusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant DVD!, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: Russell Brand - Messiah Complex [DVD] (DVD)
I'd already seen this show before I ordered the DVD but the DVD did not fail to disappoint in any way, in fact it was even funnier watching the show second time round! Well worth buying especially if you are a Russell Brand fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Russell Brand - Messiah Complex [DVD] (DVD)
Let me start off by saying I am completely biased. I would watch Russell Brand reading the phonebook. Normally that's just an expression, but in Russell's case I am sure he would make it funny.

As I have heard many say before me, I think he is at his best when he is riffing and performing freestyle, versus his prepared material. I found his prepared material more thought-provoking than funny; however, I do not consider that a drawback.

I love how this man's mind works and I relish any opportunity, regardless of venue, to see it in action.

Do yourself a favor and see this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brand for President!, 22 Jan 2014
Scottie (North East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Brand - Messiah Complex [DVD] (DVD)
The evolution (or revolution?) of Russell Brand continues with this latest stand-up set following in the political and cultural vein of his recent Brand-X TV series on Sky Atlantic/FX. In this performance Russell explores the concept of the 'Messiah Complex', a condition by which the afflicted believe they are in some way god like or at least born to lead humankind down a path of their devising. He uses some of the most influential leaders from history, Gandhi, Jesus, Che Guevara, Malcolm X and even Hitler to examine the theory.

In the absence of strong spiritual leadership in western culture, it becomes evident that our society has become disjointed and heavily steered by advertising, marketing and media driven stereotypes and also that we are not properly represented by our politicians. Spotting this gap in the market, Russell steps forward to part the sea of materialism and greed to guide us on to the promised land (and probably try to sleep with the fairer among us).

Sounds a bit heavy, but when woven together with the self deprecating and deliciously vulgar humor that fans have come to love, this study becomes light and very enjoyable without betraying it's strong message. I would expect fans will love this. It is delivered in the same way as his 'Ponderland' series and, as mentioned earlier, the subject matter is in keeping with his 'Brand-X' material. Even if you are not familiar with these series, so long as you are aware of, and enjoy Russell Brand's comedy then this shouldn't disappoint. If you have somehow never heard of Mr Brand (which, to be fair, must mean you have been in captivity) or you have only really seen him on chat shows then be prepared for some strong sexual content here and there.

Russell's material, and personality for that matter, continue to develop and intrigue. Not many entertainers have the power to be this thought provoking whilst being incredibly funny. Whilst examining the Messiah Complex it is clear that Brand is also examining himself and his own beliefs and encouraging us to do the same. To quote another comedy phenomenon, Monty Python, "He's {probably} not the Messiah - He's a very naughty boy!".

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Russell Brand - Messiah Complex [DVD] (DVD)

On his DVD he touches above subjects only briefly spending half of stage time repeatedly aping about sex cliches like an teenager who just discovered it.

Drop cheap sex jokes and focus on intellectual bits and this could have been amazing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts off inspiring but spirals into disappointment, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Russell Brand - Messiah Complex [DVD] (DVD)
I watched my first Russell Brand standup show having seen him in movies, a bit of his Brand X show (which intrigued me enough to give this a try) and other tv appearances, which gave me a general awareness of his style and humour but I did not expect this. Brand's intelligent, articulate and thought provoking set surprised me as I used to see him as a bit of a shallow hedonist. As a big fan of stand up and also a bit of a socialist, I relished at the thought of a comedy show mixed with political humour. The set was built up in such a climatic way that I expected a meaningful ending,not without a punchline but instead it ended in an almost psychotic rant about anus licking and the wonders of the female anatomy. I understand that its meant to be a comedy show and I'm fine with sex jokes if they're done well but here it only serves to turn Russell brand from a global minded revolutionary into a bit of a crazed nymphomaniac. Others may enjoy this show immensely but the shallow ending just about ruined it for me as it had so much promise for a large majority of it. It's just a shame that as much as I agree with the points Russell made so wittily, I can't stand his obsessive sexual humour and this is coming from a young person with a fairly open mind.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Russell Brand - Messiah Complex [DVD]
Russell Brand - Messiah Complex [DVD] by Russell Brand (DVD - 2013)
4.99