5.0 out of 5 stars These Boots Were Made For Talking
Published 8 months ago by Ant Preston

3.0 out of 5 stars Fly ride
Adventure? I think not, more of a tale of a sponsored journo and friend circumnavigating the world with brief bike rides between jumping on planes and air freighting expensive bikes around what would probably have been the adventurous bits.

Published 5 months ago by Crystal Vision

5.0 out of 5 stars These Boots Were Made For Talking, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: In Clancy's Boots (Paperback)
Hill's latest combines all the ingredients of the best of good reads: something to snuggle up with before a log fire in the festive season, to be transported away from the mundane by following in the footsteps or, in truth, tyre tracks of two gifted adventurers. Clancy, an inspired American, demonstrates true British grit in facing adversity undaunted. One hundred years later Hill, in his inimitable style, pays tribute to Clancy by re-enacting the American's courageous ride on a Henderson motorcycle. Both are blessed with the power of observation and an ability to describe, which, in Hill's reliable hands, carries the reader along through vivid, technicolor scenery. We ride as pillion, share the saddle.
By observing Clancy, reflecting on the man's superhuman resolve, Hill finds the opportunity to add to his own well known wit, evocative observation and outright humour, heartfelt reflection reminiscent of Robert Pirsig. It is not surprising that Zen accompanies him. Hill faced other adversities, less physical than Clancy's, along the way. Unlike earlier travel books this starts in more pensive mood. Much of the pleasure in the reading is found as the journey progresses and his rapture in Sri Lanka and Japan overcome him and infect us deeply. This is a book that will be read and kept on a prominent shelf for frequent revisits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take us with you on the next trip!, 19 Jan 2014
J. P. WRIGHT "Peter" (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Clancy's Boots (Paperback)
I have read every one of Geoff Hill's books and enjoyed them all. He has a tremendous ability to take one as a 'virtual pillion' and I have felt every mile of his trips - warm, cold, wet, dry...

I bought this latest book just before Christmas and I added it to my reading pile. Didn't start reading it until New Year, then couldn't put it down! Like Geoff, I ride an Enduro bike and I've toured a great deal from my home in the middle of France, but also at the back of my garage is a Honda C90 step-through (36,000,000 of us can't be wrong!). It produces 7.5 BHp, about the same as Clancy's Henderson, but I guess at half the weight. Geoff Hill's story about Clancy makes me realise that I could ride the wee Honda round the world too!

The great thing about reading Geoff's story and having the resources myself to emulate him is how liberating the whole notion becomes. I too could ride round the world. Maybe not next week, maybe not next year, maybe never, but at least I could...

Thank you Geoff for a wonderful story, brilliantly written, and for taking us all with you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical!, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: In Clancy's Boots (Paperback)
The best book yet from my favourite travel writer. Wise, sympathetic and irreverent, it is little wonder that funny things happen when he's around. He could talk a dog down from a butcher's cart, and is that rarest of things - a humanist with humour.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Geoff's usual quality writing., 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: In Clancy's Boots: The Greatest Ever Round-The-World Adventure (Kindle Edition)
Good read you, feel your in Clancy 's boots following his tyre tracks & it puts the the name of Henderson motorcycles up there with the best of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars My shortest review ever, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: In Clancy's Boots (Paperback)
It's a fabulous tale told delightfully well. 100 years of overlanding and most people have no idea. Everyone can know now. Buy it, you'll not regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Geoff Hill at his usual best!, 21 Jan 2014
Raimo K (Uusikaupunki, Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Clancy's Boots (Paperback)
This is the 4th book by Hill that I have. Obviously I like them and this latest book of his did not disappoint, Very good read in these snowy winter days when motorbike is not an option - but I'm waiting for the end of biking hibernation, of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 25 Jun 2014
D. Perry - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Clancy's Boots (Paperback)
Probably Geoff's best book to date, in my opinion. A little less of the unfunny 'pint of frog spawn' comments in this one which made some of his other books a little annoying to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 15 Jun 2014
Very well written and good description of a challenging journey. Makes me want to take a year out and do something similar

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Yet!, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: In Clancy's Boots (Paperback)
Geoff's books just keep getting better. I don't get much time for reading lately but with this book I was trying to make time whenever I could. This is a superbly told tale of old and new adventure served up with a generous helping of Geoff's brilliant wit. I have read all of Geoff's adventure books and would not hesitate to recommend them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fly ride, 26 Mar 2014

The actual riding sections and facts about where they stop are interesting but don't expect any 'daring do' or the slightest whiff of mild peril. I don't think 'roughing it' is in Mr Hill's vocabulary. He describes the hardships of his predecessor's 1914 trip well, so saves you reading that story but I decided half way though I would rather have read the original details of Clancy's trip than this.

Clancy's journey probably ranks as a truly great round the world adventure but this book's title is somewhat misleading as this follow up trip is definitely lacking in any adventure. I think the climber Chris Bonnington once said that to be an adventure there has to be an element of personal danger/risk. I don't think Mr Hill was in the slightest danger at any time. Perhaps he should have got in the spirit and done the ride on something 'pre-war'. Now that would have been worth reading and I would have forgiven the frequent flying.