4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet-Natured Family Fun
Published 10 months ago by William Mason

A funny and colourful animation, with strong morals of staying true to yourself and not to judge things at face value. One particularly shallow character is made to look foolish, gullible and even winds up in danger for taking appearances for granted value.

Published 2 months ago by Blaise Amy Bensley

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet-Natured Family Fun, 22 July 2014
William Mason (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Justin is a teenage boy who dreams of becoming a knight, like his grandfather, rather than a lawyer, like his father (sensible boy). Justin has a crush on a good-looking "posh bird", the teenage Lara, which blinds him to the charms of the equally attractive but more down to earth local barmaid, Talia. Justin sets out on a quest to learn the battle code of warriors, in an effort to persuade Lara of his worth as a suitor. Whilst he is absent from his father's home, a banished and disgraced former knight, Sir Heraclio, returns to threaten to take over their lands. Justin, having been schooled in the arts of armoured warriors, returns home to come to the aid of his people. The movie has a largely British cast for the voiceovers, and it is made by a Spanish production company, rather than the usual Pixar or DreamWorks. Rupert Everett gives the standout vocal performance, as Sir Heraclio's obsequious man-servant Sota. I watched this movie at the cinema with my 11 year old daughter, and then purchased the DVD soon afterwards. It is a solid and good-natured family film, with decent 2D or 3D animation, one which is best for kids aged 7 to 13, but with enough going on to keep the attention of an adult. The quality of the Blu-Ray is good, and I think that this film is worthy of at least one sequel.
Thank you for taking the time to read this review.
P.S. If you haven't yet watched the wonderful Boxtrolls and Big Hero 6, I can highly recommend both of those family films too - The Boxtrolls (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + UV Copy),Big Hero 6 [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray].

4.0 out of 5 stars THE SWORD IS MIGHTIER THAN THE PEN, 26 Jan. 2014
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The movie is political and critical of the legal system. After the bad guys were defeated, Knights who protected the kingdom were outlawed, and written laws became abundant as the film ironically states, "The World is too complex without laws." Justin's grandfather was a famous knight and his dad is a lawyer. Justin has set out on a quest to become a knight, find his grandfather's lost sword, and court the shallow Lara...whose family invented money. Along the way he meets interesting characters including a wannabe wizard who looks like a stereotypical guy you might meet at a comic book convention.

Then there is the plucky waitress. When Justin tells her he wants a wizard, she replies, "Would you like fries with that?" She is the female role model.

There is a side kick who is interested in gossip and fashion, dresses rather nice and prances around.

There are also lines that come from other films or rather spoofs them, such as when a huge man grabs a plank and does his Crocodile Dundee, "That's not a stick. This is a stick."

A film the kids will enjoy, but most likely not the one they want to watch multiple times.

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it !, 8 Jan. 2014
mummy spoon (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Justin and the knights of valour is a great film, it's not on the same level as Toy Story or Shrek but it's fun, has a good story and script,likeable characters and the animation is as good as Dreamworks and the like.
I think these types of films are often judged too harshly but at the end of the day, they are aimed at children, mine loved it and I quite liked it too which is a bonus, we are definitely ordering the Blu-ray, I look forward to watching it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good time with another dragon and knight related fantasy adventure, 19 Mar. 2015
Blaise Amy Bensley (Bangor, North Wales) - See all my reviews

While most of the characters are stereotypical in some ways, the plot contains strong role models in the rags to knighthood character Justin, and the tough and sassy Talia who's always ready to back up her combat skill with witty retorts.

The animation may lack the polish of big budget animations, but I thought the character designs of Talia and the magician Melquiades were quite original, and each character's personal style is clearly reflected in their costumes.

Recommended for fans of animated fantasy adventure, though you've probably seen a dozen movies like it, Justin is still an entertaining view if you'd like to see one more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Your Average Unicorns & Princesses Animation, 25 Sept. 2014
Lovely & Funny. Both children and adults would enjoy this. Refreshingly not your typical Disney prince and princess. Lots of funny (and spot on) political and popular culture satire. Also a good message that you don't need to be the 'perfect' size triple zero surgically enhanced looking Barbie, or 6' male-model Casanova to be a success... A few reviewers have mentioned Toy Story. I am very familiar with all the Toy Story films and although they are nice, I think this quite a bit better. I like the slightly softer, style and the story is better (similar to Enchanted) Also a cheeky reference to Goblet of Fire... I'm not familiar with the studio (or at least I can't recall other films they've produced), but I'd say it's a Disney meets Pixar as far as visual style. I'm stingey with my 5 star ratings, but would have given a 4+ if possible... There's a hero in all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good family entertainment!, 24 April 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed by 9 year old son, 6 year old daughter and myself to pass away a rainy Easter holiday afternoon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grandchildrens review, 16 July 2014
Grandchildren just loved this film so the remarks are from them:

Charlie (6) Thank you granddad I cant watch it in 3D 'cos it hurts my eyes. I thought it was funny.
Bradley (11) Can I watch it again when Charlie is not about so I can see it in 3D I thought it was quite a good film it did get boring in places but soon livened up.

Well there you have it, two remarks from my two grandsons.
Not had a chance to sit and watch it my self, will have to wait for a rainy day when I cannot get into the garden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film!, 28 April 2014
My boys and I thoroughly enjoyed it ! We would watch again and may even concider buying it, we thought it was that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, 26 Feb. 2014
My son and I laughed our socks off we really enjoyed the film it cheered us up on a very wet cold sunday afternoon thanks

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new story wise, 3D is not very impressive ..., 14 Oct. 2014
Nothing new story wise,3D is not very impressive,my grandson watched only once.