Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£10.49

There are a few oldies here going even as far back as 1940 (When you wish upon a star, from Pinocchio), but the vast majority are of more recent origin. While I tend to buy mostly older music, I've got plenty of older movie songs and I wanted this collection because there are plenty of more recent movie songs that I like too, and which can be found here. Before getting on to those, I'll just say that among the oldies, I was particularly pleased to find You never can tell (Chuck Berry), which although not difficult to find on a Chuck Berry compilation, rarely if ever appears on any multi-artist compilation. I wasn't aware that it even qualified for a compilation of movie songs, but I'm just a music fan.

Not being a committed fan of the big screen, I have seen very few of the films in which the songs here formed part of the soundtreack, those being Rocky (the original, but not the sequels), 9 to 5 and Back to the future. It matters not, because the music stands on its own merit. The set opens with Everything I do (Bryan Adams) from Robin Hood, Prince of thieves. I am old enough to remember another Robin Hood song from my childhood in the fifties, but that isn't here. Elsewhere on the first CD, there are plenty of classics including my favorite among them, Take my breath away (Berlin). I will always love you (Whitney Houston) is great too, but I will always prefer the original, although I'm glad that Whitney recorded the song. It gave a further boost to the career and reputation of my favorite singer, herself represented here on CD 3.

I was surprised and pleased to find Jamie O'Neal on CD 2, with a cover of Eric Carmen's All by myself. Jamie is a country singer from Australia who recorded some albums for Mercury around the time she recorded All by myself, but those albums were not commercially successful. It's not my fault because I bought her debut album Shiver :-) I felt I needed to double-check the facts to be sure this was the same Jamie O'Neal, but it is. Elsewhere on CD 2, there are plenty of other great songs including When you say nothing at all (Ronan Keating), the two Jennifer Warnes tracks (one being a duet with Bill Medley, previusly a member of the Righteous brothers, themselves also on this CD with the perennial Unchained melody), I believe I can fly (R Kelly), and ending with Chuck Berry.

CD 3 opens with Eye of the tiger (Survivor) and again includes plenty of great music, including The power of love (Huey Lewis and the News), which is a song that is easily overlooked, as it shares a title with a Jennifer Rush song that has since been covered by Laura Branigan, Celine Dione and countless others, as well as a Frankie Goes To Hollywood song since covered by Gabrielle Aplin. Irene Cara sings two songs (Fame, Flashdance. This CD has several oldies from before the eighties including Mamma Mia (Abba), You sexy thing (Hot Chocolate), Oh pretty woman (Roy Orbison), I get around (Beach Boys) and Stuck in the middle with you (Stealer's Wheel), which rounds of an excellent collection of songs used in movie soundtracks.

You don't have to be a fan of the movies to enjoy this wonderful collection.
WHAT A SUPER COLLECTION WE HAVE ON BOARD, we are served up with memories
of many 'all time favourite movies' couple with the songs most associated
with them.
You could say it's a 'Win' 'Win' thing.
The 'NOW' series have certainly pulled off a brilliant theme that will
almost certainly appeal to many i'm sure.
I'll list one or two examples of the quality on offer on this 3-CD
compilation, for example, on disc one....'Bryan Adams' --'Everything I do'
(Robin Hood Prince of thieves)...'Whitney Houston' --'I will always Love You'
(The Bodyguard)...'Berlin' --'Take my Breath Away' (Top Gun)...'Wet Wet Wet'
--'Love is All Around'(Four Weddings and a Funeral)...'Robbie Williams' --
'Have you met Mrs Jones'(Bridget Jones Diary)...and, with a smile perhaps,
'Cliff Edwards' --'If You Wish Upon a Star'(Pinocchio).....just a few of the
gems on disc one, on disc two....'Celine Dion' --'My Heart Will Go On'(Titanic)
...'Anne Hathaway' --'I Dreamed a Dream'(Les Mis'erables)...'Kate Winslet' --
'What If'(Christmas Carol)...'R.Kelly' --'I Believe I Can Fly'(Space Jam)...
'Tears for Fears' --'Mad World'(Donnie Brasco) and 'Chuck Berry' --'You never
Can Tell'(Pulp Fiction)....again just a few of the magical memories on disc two,
on disc three....'Survivor' --'Eye of the Tiger'(Rocky)...'Irene Cara' --
'Fame'(Fame)...'Cher' --'The Shoop Shoop Song'(Mermaids)...'Abba' --'Mama Mia'
(Mama Mia)...'Dolly Parton' --'9-5'(9-5)...'Roy Orbison' --'Oh Pretty Woman'
(Pretty Woman)...and...'Stealers Wheel' --'Stuck in the Middle With You'
(Reservoir Dogs)....again, just a few examples on disc three to enjoy.
The 3-CD compilation gives us the best of both worlds in terms of memories on
offer 'Songs' and Movies' (Great Sound Quality throughout)
I've highlighted perhaps half a dozen or so from each disc, check it out there
is so much more that will almost certainly catch your eye.
For me, this is probably one of the most enjoyable compilations I've listened
too in recent times, it would be fair to say there have been some terrific
compilation releases this year, and this, for me is right up there with the
best of them.
Surely a must for collectors.
22 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2013
This album is a very good mixture of old and new film songs. It features many of the familiar film songs, as well as some more obscure tracks too. I enjoyed listening to this CD and I liked most of the songs, but there were some that I had never heard before and also some films that I was not familiar with. I regard myself as a movie buff, though, but I cannot say that I have seen all of the films featured in this collection, because it would be untrue. I have a couple of minor gripes, though, which prevent me from giving this set the full five stars. First of all, the volume levels on this album were very uneven, noticeably on the more modern songs and it seemed as though I spent a good portion of the time adjusting the volume control on my CD player while this album was playing. This was annoying, but I have noticed this same problem on several other recent compilations too. I also noticed the absence of any Bond themes on this album, which seemed strange for a film songs album and I feel as though it would have benefited from at least a couple of the Bond songs. Most of my other film songs albums have at least one Bond theme on them. Apart from that, this is a very good and very enjoyable album, with something to please most movie fans. I can recommend it and I give it four stars.
I like this box set. It has a good mixture of music from different genres. It brings memories flooding back of films I have seen in the past and inspired me to watch them again!

It is good background music, and easy listening.

Recommended.
on 16 November 2013
Absolutely excellent - brings back memories of all the films you have seen.

Wonderful selections of music - really brightens up your day.
on 20 December 2013
i absolutely love film songs and so was thrilled to hear that you could get this CD! The songs are all brilliant as you get the classics like 'i will always love you' Bodyguard and 'heart will go on' Titanic. You also get ones like 'together in electric dreams' and 'never-ending story' which is awesome. Most the songs i found where fro the 80s but hey, that was a great year for film songs so i'm not complaining.

you get lots of songs and hours of cool music for the price so i highly recommend to all those film lovers out there :)

hope this helps xx
on 22 May 2014
These collections are iconic. Those of us from the 70's remember the Top of the Pops albums, Session singers singing the latest hits, often poorly. Now changed that. I have never bought one though as generally never really been taken by the songs on it. This changes that. For 9 quid, over 50 songs all, hits, all enjoyable, even if a couple or a tad obscure. Love movies, love movie theme songs. This is the album that satisfies that yearning.
on 28 December 2013
I am listening to this as I write and am bopping away to some of my favourite songs of all time. This has everything from all movies you can think of. Some of them just don't do it for me but there are others I just cannot help singing along with. There is the Titanic song, Four Weddings and Funeral, Robin Hood, Ghost etc to mention just some. There is something for everyone on this album and with 3 CD's you can't go wrong.
on 4 December 2013
Hey! This CD is utterly brilliant, great songs from great films, would Definitely recommend it to anyone. Go buy it.
on 4 September 2015
I love rare movie songs so this compilation was disappointing, although, one of the reasons why, is because I have so many of the songs on cd already. Good price but, check out Hmv.ie, and Golden discs prices, before you buy this on Amazon.co.uk. Amazon.co.uk does great spot deals sometimes, so keep comparing sites.