on 15 December 2013
For the gamer who likes a bargain, the Wii U is the best console you can buy. It has great games, cool hardware and is a fun experience for all ages.

Firstly the reason I say the best console is, I have a gaming PC. Xbox One and PS4 are nice machines, however they are limited in their functions, graphics and precise controls compared to a PC. The software is expensive, compared to a PC too!
Also I did not purchase a Wii console, so having that back catalogue of Wii games was a major factor in the purchase of the Wii U.

Pros for me:
Price.
Wii U Game Pad.
Small quiet console.
Easy to use.
Games and apps look great at 1080p 60 fps.
Solid games that work when launched.
Happy, fun online community.
Compatible with existing wii controllers and accessories.
Fun for the whole family, from casual to hardcore gamers.
Club Nintendo (gets points for your Nintendo software/ hardware purchases, in exchange for games and fun items)
Free online play and online services.
You can play Wii games and a hole host of older SNES, N64 and GameCube titles as well as indie games which you can download from Nintendo.
Nintendo offer the best exclusive content.(Mario, Zelda, Wii sports, Nintendo Land, Pikmin, etc)
Use services like Netflix, You tube, surf the internet, Love film and loads more on the TV or the WII U game pad.
Nintendo products keep their value.

Cons for me:
Future Third party support and titles.

Conclusion:
Having just bought the Wii U and playing Mario 3d world, Zelda HD has bought the fun aspect of gaming back.
my Mum at 65 plays on the Wii U and seeing the joy on her face is great. Netflix and YouTube are easy to use, and the Wii u game pad is so cool.
I can play a lot of games with friends and family in co-op mode which is so much fun.
I have the ultimate gaming experience which is a PC, what I get from the Wii U is great exclusive games, a novel game pad and a device which Mum and me use.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I finally decided to buy a Wii U after sitting on the fence since it's release, with the latest launch of Mario Kart 8 I thought the special edition would make a perfect addition to my collection of Nintendo consoles. This price drop makes it £110 cheaper than the PS4 and a whopping £160 lower than the XB1. Almost 2 years on from it's initial release I think it's time to share my opinions

The console is small in stature and only slightly larger than the Wii, the premium version has a glossy black finish while the basic version is a glossy white. It is considerably smaller than the other next gen systems at about 20% volume of the XB1 + Kinect. Both the Wii U tablet and pro pad are also very well designed, both are built to a very high glossy quality.

You also have to take into consideration that both the PS4 and XB1 are not backward compatible, and the input/output lag of the XB1 obliterates any possibility of using the 'HDMI IN' function for anything other that viewing video. The Wii U however is fully compatible with every Wii game and console accessory which opens it's software library up to well over a thousand games, many of which are considered the best of all time such as Mario Galaxy 1+2, Twilight Princess, Smash Bros Brawl and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I paid £475 for my XB1 at launch with a bundled Fifa 14 and a separate copy of Forza 5, in the months since I've never felt so mugged off in all my life... While the PS4 and XB1 are more powerful their game libraries are very poor, even almost 1 year after their releases neither have a game worth buying the console for.

The criticisms of the Wii U always centre on two things:

The lower processing power in relation to XB1/PS4, and it's library (or lack of) games. Both of these points I've since discovered are actually false...

The Wii U has less processing power yes, but not a single game has even came close to pushing the hardware. Assassin's Creed 4 is the classic example. The Wii U has a completely different architecture to other systems, this isn't showcasing lower power but rather a lazy conversion which is evident in all the cross format games. Next is the library of games, the Wii U currently has 9 exclusive full release games scoring more than 80% on Metacritic compared to the PS4's 2 (inFamous + The Last of Us) and the XB1's 1 (Titanfall, which is hugely overated).

Next is the online play, Sony and Microsoft has been infested with American, racist, rage kids for the past 10 years and it sours the online experience, you can't go into a pre-game lobby without having some obnoxious child shout abuse at you down the mic. There's entire Youtube channels devoted to abusing gamers and provoking a reaction, such is gaming on MS and Sony machines.

If your not being abused verbally then there's the cheaters using lag switches and aim bots and making it pointless even trying to play online as you have no chance. The absolute worse thing about this is Sony and Microsoft's complete inaction against this even though you're PAYING for online access, chances are if you've played COD online for these systems then you've came across cheaters. This really annoys me as a 12 month XB Live subscription is £40 but MS don't even police their own servers, I stopped my XB Live last year shortly after the XB1 release.

Online access for the Wii U is free, and there is no difference in the speed or availability of servers. In fact when I've been online with Mario Kart 8 I'm almost always instantly put into a pre game lobby.

I bought COD: Ghosts when it was £15 on the Wii U and it was a revelation, first of all you're playing against Nintendo gamers and not rage kids. Pre game lobbies were always filled with mature, like minded gamers who you could chat to and have a joke with, not the typical MS or Sony rage kid.

Second is the cheats, I've put about 20 hours into this and I haven't came across a single cheater, no lag switches or aim bots. The Wii U has restored my faith in online gaming.

At this moment in time the Wii U is the best choice for next gen gaming, it has the better exclusive games currently out and coming in the future, is cheaper and has far better online community which is free.
on 26 April 2014
As someone who has had all three models of the PS3(the mark one 60 gig Foreman, the mark two 160 gig slim and the mark three 500 gig super slim) and also a 320 gig Xbox 360 I didn't ever envisage myself buying a Wii U. What Microsoft announced they planned to implement at E3 last year was enough for me to go with Sony only this time round so that's what I've done, well kind of..........

I finally joined this current generation about a month ago when I bought the PS4 Infamous bundle and I'm very happy with it, but there's no point denying that we have a fair old wait till The Order 1886, Arkham Knight and the like arrive. So having done a real shift on research, including loads of youtube videos which played a big part, it convinced me to get a Wii U too!

Let me start by applauding UK Amazon for getting this out to the far east of Austria in less than 4 days, shipped Monday night and arrived a thousand miles away Thursday lunchtime with regular shipping service. Admittedly I've only had it a couple of days and thus it's still very early days, I've only got round to playing Lego City Undercover so far but oh brother I'm loving it! I'm the first person to admit I didn't think I'd get on with the game pad but instantly I have taken to it and seeing this specific game was developed around the thing it really compliments the experience all the more. Of course the draw of Mario Kart 8 in little over a month's time was way too much to ignore too so though I've not had a Nintendo since the GameCube I already know 100% I've made a very worthwhile purchase here.

Bit of advice to anyone thinking of doing the same though, it is a right liberty you should fork this out extra but as I've already discovered the high capacity battery is a necessity for the game pad as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully it's going to get here from amazon.de on Monday morning. Unfortunately a frustrating weekend of gaming beckons as the supplied battery runs out after only around 4 hours or so use. Also I know the IT experts among you will say the console supports/runs a certain kind of superior wifi wavelength or whatever but I'm old school and prefer a wired connection full stop. So the fact it does not have an ethernet port built in and you need to buy that LAN adaptor thing to get a wired connection is also a tad disappointing.

All said and done I don't want to end my quid's worth on a downer here because as I keep reading all over the place the Wii U is the logical choice as any home's second console. I can't just agree with that sentiment but I can already totally confirm it's going to be the first console of choice in this household for the foreseeable future. I can say that in such a short space of time of owning it because put simply it does have the games in the bank already. And then don't forget there's some more real gems(MK8, Super Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2 to name a few) coming out soon, no noubt before any of the next must have current gen exclusive PS4 titles get released, in the case of Mario Kart 8 long long before.

What's not to love about this massively underrated and most unfairly much maligned console? So my message is simple, Viva Nintendo!
on 23 March 2014
The Wii U is a bit of an odd beast, even by Nintendo's standards. In terms of raw power it's barely faster than the 360 or PS3 making it vastly outclassed by the new generation of PC's in console clothing that have just hit the market. It's probably facing a fairly short life span too as third party support is patchy at best and you suspect Nintendo are hard at work on something in the XB1 or PS4 ballpark. And yet...

When it first came out the Wii U was overpriced, no doubt about it. With a £300 price tag it was just too expensive for its position in the console lifecycle. Now though it's a much better value and there's even some games out for it! The gamepad is an interesting addition and as it happens Lego City Undercover makes superb use of it. To start off with it's just a static display and you can't help but feel a bit disappointed that a flagship title couldn't figure out something cool to do with the hardware. That lasts for about twenty minutes tops until your character gets his very own Lego version of the pad. The moment he does your screen jumps into life and acts just as the pad in the game does. Maps, scanners, even phone calls come through the speaker on the pad with the TV speaker used for your character's lines. I've been playing games for over thirty years and that moment, when you realised just how well this setup could work to immerse you in the game, was one of the best gaming experiences I've had for years.

There is, of course, the option of running your game on the gamepad screen itself and letting someone else use the TV. How much you use this in practice will, I suspect, depend on how much demand your TV is in and what other gaming options you have. Frankly I'd rather grab the Vita (or a DS variant) and play on that but it's a nice option to have. Two things to bear in mind though are 1) not all games support this functionality, especially those that use the gamepad for core mechanics and 2) range is limited and it works from the console rather than your wifi network. This is especially problematic if you have the Wii U in an enclosed - or worse, metal - TV stand so think ahead.

The hardware itself is pretty good, as you'd expect from Nintendo. It's not, perhaps, as quiet as it could be but everything runs reasonably well and the interface is... acceptable. It's not going to win any speed demon awards but it's at least bearable in daily use. It's a fairly inoffensive design and is easy enough to slide into a home setup. The box is fairly generous with a dedicated charging stand for the gamepad and - amazingly - a HDMI cable included! Well done Nintendo, that's something that both Sony and Microsoft both overlook in their 360 and PS3 packages. There's a 'stand' if you want to place the console vertically which is perhaps more accurately described as two plastic feet but they do the job well enough and are very secure once in place.

The software library is, let's face it, primarily driven by first party titles. You're not going to get the latest next-gen titles on the U but if you're careful with your purchases there's some incredible games on offer. I'm not going to go through them here but even with a small library to chose from there's a remarkable breadth and depth available. There's some interesting stuff coming up too but, again, do your homework before buying. If there's games that interest you it's well worth the investment, if not don't assume that something will come along shortly as options are going to be limited. That said if it was my money I'd actually rather buy a Wii U now than a PS4 or XB1. Get one of these, grab a handful of games and play for a year. By the time you're looking for something new there's likely to be a price drop on the next gen stuff and a decent library of games available as well.
on 6 June 2014
Bought this for my son who is 5 and since opening it we have played Lego City Undercover all day, the console is excellent with the Tablet controller opening up functions such as x-ray scanner and sat-nav for negotiating the city. We played Lego Marvell Superheros on the PS3 that became boring fast for both of us. Surprised at how excellent the WII U is, visuals, sound and interface are all top quality compared with our PS3 and no regret in purchasing this.
on 2 December 2013
Both games are fantastic to play and the Wii U is a terrific piece of tech hardware. Nintendo ihas built and designed their consoles and software beautifally.
on 6 January 2014
I eventually decided to take the plunge and buy a WiiU for my son (9 years old) for Christmas. And I have to say how happy I am that I did. Despite what seems like a luke warm reception, this console is terrific. What it does really well is appeal to the family gamer. Not that you should underestimate its credentials as modern console, it has extremely good full HD graphics, but it has that wide appeal that it's predecessor, the Wii, had for a family audience. The gamepad controller, which is the hand held mini console, works well and allows the gamer to continue playing some (but not all) titles, if the TV is wanted for other things. The 'LEGO CITY' game is a pure delight, and uses the unique game pad controller well. The amazing thing about this game (like many of the other Lego games) is it's great sense of humour. My kids are forever quoting snappy one liners from the game just like they would from some of their favourite films. You can tell a huge amount of thought has gone into producing this excellent game, and the characters really come to life. The eponymous 'Lego City' is an absolute joy to travel around and spend time in, and it is graet family entertainment. Too many youngsters these days seem to be getting dragged in to games that really aren't suitable for their age group, such as Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto. I'm not saying these aren't great games, but early and pre- teens should not be playing this stuff. The WiiU offers a genuine and more wholesome alternative, which is every bit as satisfying and a lot more fun!
on 29 December 2013
I always wait a year before buying any console. Last year this console was £300 on it's own, no games.
This year, you have a back catalogue, second hand games, and a nice price reduction and the inclusion of two great games.

Rayman Legends is a cracking little game. Even I joined in on the fun on that one.

Lego City is the kids version of grand theft auto, without the prostitutes, drugs, swearing, killing and other things that any decent responsible parent would never allow an under 18 to play.

The console itself is well made, and runs silently. It's small, so it won't take up too much room.

You'll hear many a story of why the Wii U isn't the console to get, mainly from early teens putting pressure on their parents so they can play GTA and Call of Duty.

Ultimately, it's your call. If you want a console that has a selection of games that are suited to under 18's then buy this one.

The graphics are great, rayman looks amazing, and if you buy the new Mario, that too is great.
I don't want my children watching prostitutes getting their heads blown off in high definition whilst some horrid little spoiled brat screams homophobic, racist and sexist abuse over the microphone as you get on Xbox Live.

Bottom line, I enjoyed playing on the console. I really did.

The menu is confusing at first, it will take a while to get to grips with this. Work does need to be carried on it. But then, the PS3 menu is confusing, and from what I read, so is the PS4 XboX One.

Battery life on the gamepad isn't too great. But if you switch on battery saving mode and lower the brightness to level 2 it lasts 5 hours (my experience!). I was going to get an extended battery pack, but after doing this I don't need to.

It comes with a charging cradle, so you can simply put the gamepad into it, and it charges it up.

You can play all your old Wii Games on it as well, and they look great.

It has it's flaws, but then all consoles do.

If you have kids under 16, then get one of these. Even if it's just to tide you over till next year, when it's worthwhile actually buying an XBOX or PS. But I reckon, by then you'll probably not bother, unless you can get one on a cracking deal, for yourself.
on 9 January 2014
I used to be an avid gamer growing up but the last 10 years or so I had decided that my time was better spent doing other stuff so I missed out on the wii, ps3 and xb360. apart from a small bout on Guitar Hero I had never played any of them.

But as the winter was coming on I decided I wanted something to brighten up the dull evenings. I was definitely going to get a next gen system but apart from that I had no bias, I have enjoyed gaming on all platforms in the past. So I checked out all the systems on line and ended up choosing the Wii U. Mostly because I wanted something to brighten up the evenings not make them bleaker!

It was a tough call having to miss out on GTA V, that does look like a lot of fun, but at the same time its all about the violence and depravity and all the other games on those systems look really grim and violent as well.

The Wii U has turned out to be totally awesome. I made a mistake going for the Lego City bundle. It's a great game, funny and the graphics are beautiful but it is far too easy for an old timer like myself. Perfect for the young-uns.

Everything I have played since then though has been amazing - Rayman Legends, Mario 3D, Monster Hunter... All truly great games. And it plays all the original Wii games that I missed out on first time around (Once I bought a Wii-mote that is)

On top of that there is the whole Nintendo eco-system, the e-store with the virtual consoles let me play some old classics from the NES and SNES as well as buy exclusive games and download demos. The Miiverse social network lets me chat with fellow Nintendo fans about the games we are playing. I also have Netflix, WiiStreet U (an interactive google maps app)and an awesome Web browser.

And that brings me to the web browser! It is really good, it is let down slightly by the gamepad's screen resolution but navigating the web with the buttons and analogue sticks is surprisingly comfortable, you wouldn't expect it to feel so good but it really does! I have since sold my Samsung galaxy tablet because surfing on the couch is much more enjoyable with the Wii U.

The Wii U seems to get a lot of bad press saying there aren't any games for it and no-one is buying it. I think it's all rubbish. The quality of the games I have played so far are some of the best I have ever played and they look fantastic. On top of that the whole Wii U experience is a real pleasure. I love it and recommend it as a brilliant console for all ages.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 August 2014
Nintendo Wii U has got me hooked into gaming once again.Great value as well with Lego City Undercover and Rayman : Legends physical copies.Lego City Undercover is one of the best Lego games ever made.It's been about two months with my Wii U and I've finished a ridiculous amount of games,that would be14 Games :p One of my favourite console ever.I just love it.