on 20 January 2014
I waited avidly for this next instalment in the Sensor Series hoping that I wouldn't be disappointed particularly as it is not very long. Amazingly, despite the short length of this book it packs a particularly huge punch. I absolutely loved it and would give it 6 stars if I could which is unusual for me as I have to consider a book near perfect to give it 5 stars.

Chained by Darkness tell the story from Lucas' point of view rather than Melena as in the first two full length novels since it covers the period Lucas is taken away. I won't say more as I don't want to spoil it for those of you who may not have yet read Darkness Haunts and Darkness Taunts - books 1 and 2 but this is not a book to skip as Chained by Darkness moves the story along significantly. All I can say is please go out and get them all. If a well written, plot driven, urban fantasy with a strong female lead as well as a charismatic male protagonist, an unrushed romance, well-developed secondary characters all wrapped up in an intriguing storyline with excellent world-building is your thing, then stop reading this now and go buy all three and start reading straight away. They are that good.

Susan Illene is right at the top of my favourite authors list. At this point, I would probably buy any book with her name on it before even bothering to read the summary and that is saying a lot for me. Next book pleeeeeeeease Ms Illene!
on 13 March 2014
Oh my word, this book should come with a warning, do no read in a public place! My heart feels like its been through a clothes wringer! What a ride for Lucas in purgatory, on one hand it was a difficult read as he goes through so much but we also learn a lot about him and his past. Without giving anything away this book was key in the sensor series to how things are going to move forward, we got a lot of information in a short space of time. If you didn't like Lucas before now you certainly will after you've read this, but only after the other 2 books in the series. I am now also very intrigued by the Angels and their individual characters and motivations. I also liked that whilst it features heaven, hell and purgatory we aren't overloaded on the religious elements at all. An absolutely must read.
As a really intriguing insight into Lucas's mind, this is a very good novella. Before I read it I was moaning about another shirtless hero on the cover of urban fantasy book, but this cover suits Lucas and this story to a tee. It was pretty great, especially the ending with Melena, which made me really look forward to the next book. Also, loved Sons of Anarchy mention. *thumbs up*
on 1 March 2014
Thought oh great, I bought by accident but read it anyway. Wasn't at all what I expected and certainly not as bad as I was expecting. Angles & Demons and a Demon trying to be the good guy. Not as good as others I have read but certainly not the worse. Will probably try to read another. Probably best to read in order as well as I wasn't sure at first what was going on with the characters.
on 7 July 2014
I've never been the biggest fan of Lucas but I certainly did feel for him in 'Chained by Darkness'. He goes through an ordeal in this book and you really get a feel for his love for Melena. This really is a must read for this series and despite my misgivings about Lucas he certainly earned my respect and ensured my enjoyment of this novella.
on 14 February 2014
Good to see a part of this story from Lucas's point of view. Seemed a little rushed in places as it could have been a bit longer, but is just enough to whet your appetite for the third instalment.
on 6 April 2014
Love, love, love these books and cant wait for the next one.

Not seen on Amazon yet :( looking forward to it.
on 17 May 2014
Great companion piece for the sensor book series and would highly recommend this book and all others by this author.
on 17 November 2013
Really enjoyed the three books in this series so far. Cannot wait until April for the next one to be released.
on 18 February 2014
I read this book and then re-read it several times, will just have to be patient and wait for the next one.