on 20 February 2014
See video review.

Summary -

1. Exceptional sound.
2. Superb build quality with a kevlar reinforced wire.
3. Microphone is excellent, including when used outdoors.
4. In-line clicker remote works great with Android and can control volume! (An app is required for this, and an explanation and tutorial is in the video).
5. They look great.
6. The earphone wood, box and carry bag are made from recycled materials.
7. They come with free sweets. Nice touch!
11 comment|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2015
First of all I would like to start with by saying that many of these low ratings will now be irrelevant. This is due to the fact that MediaDevil has taken notice of these issues and corrected them with their 2nd generation earphones.

My original purchase lasted around 7 months and then an earpiece fell out of the wooden housing. Upon contacting Mediadevil they responded to me within less than a day and stated that they would be sending me a 2nd gen replacement.

These are the issues that were prevalent with the 1st gen earphones:

- Horrible noise feedback through the wires due to the braided fabric material (any rubbing against the wires would be heard in-ear).
- Many people reported that silver base of the earphone comes away from the wooden housing which is what happened to me.

I am happy to say that both these issues have been rectified.

The braided material is only up to the point where the earphone cables split to left and right, the rest of the way is now the standard rubber material you get on most earphones. This has completely removed that annoying noise that you used to get when rubbing the 1st gen cables against anything.

In the email response I received from MediaDevil they confirmed the weak glue holding the silver and wood pieces together and said the 2nd gen version has a much stronger hold.

I am happy to say that MediaDevil have one of the best customer service teams as they were understanding and also take notes about their customers feedback which can't be said for most companies these days. I will gladly purchase from them again and would highly recommend others to try this brilliant company out.

In terms of quality I can confirm that my £90 Sennheisers perform around the same as these. Now this is value for money!
on 19 June 2014
You only have to read the many other reviews on Amazon UK to get a feeling for how good these MediaDevil EB-01 earphones are. I'm very pleased with mine and often use them for serious music sessions through a dedicated DAC headphone amp when I can't be bothered to get out my Sen HD650 headphones. The EB-01s sound remarkably good on my Nexus 5 too. They are ideal for listening to audio ebooks too- none of the wisping and boom you get with some buds. I was a bit dubious about the wood body but it is well finished, high quality hard wood- no two phones are the same- and doesn't get grimy. In fact, the wood adds just a subtle touch of class to the phones.

Like many audio transducers, these earphones need running in. Out of the box the EB-01 are quite bass heavy and lacking in top end, but after a about 50 hours (loud) they settle down and become more coherent. They are remarkably forgiving too. While they make a good source sound good they also make the best of a bad source. All round they are nice.

The almost not good points:

1) The connector looks a bit weird- to me anyway. Don't get me wrong- it's robust, fits snugly, doesn't fall out, and is easy to use.
2) You get a choice of three diameter rubber sleeves which you fit to suit your ear, but I would like one just a smidgin smaller diameter than the standard size but not as small as the next size down. Perhaps MediaDevil would consider including a further two sleeves, one slightly smaller than normal and one slightly bigger.
3) The high frequencies are slightly subdued. Once again I'm being super critical.
4) They lack the degree of detail, definition, and wide sound stage of high-end phones. The fact that they can even be compared to high-end phones, costing £300 upwards, tells you something!

I love my EB-01s. They sound nice form all sources- quite simply there is nothing anywhere as good in this price range. You can buy them with confidence

PS: Great to see another British company making a well designed product. They also seem to care about their customers. And you get a free sweet in the box too!

Update 05 October 2015

I'm still happy with the sound and general design of EB-01 ear buds, although after about a year the wooden covers came off a few times when I took the buds out of my ears . It was a simple matter to push the covers back on, but in the end I put a very thin layer (don't over do it) of Super Glue around the metal flange that the covers fit to. Within a couple of minutes of pushing the covers back on, they were solidly attached. If anything, the phones now sound better too, especially the bass which is slightly tighter.

Update 11 January 2016

The right earbud is now distorting badly. This is especially disappointing as the MediaDevils have had an easy life- mostly listening in my front room and they havent been used that often either. As a result I would not recommend these ear buds and have downgraded the star rating from 5 to 3.
on 16 January 2014
For those thinking about buying these earphones, i thought i'd fill in a few gaps in the product info as well as giving an opinion on the product.

Mediadevil are a great company to purchase from (i've bought plenty of stuff from them now) but their info on this product was scant. This is what you get for your money:

Package Contents:
the earphones
a small drawstring carry bag (big enough to fit an ipod nano plus 'phones)
three sets of silicone earbuds to fit different ear sizes
A totally inadequate set of instructions on a small sheet of paper - no more than a few paragrpahs.
No info regarding the guarantee (it is 1 year i think). No care instructions.

having had a pair of Jays earphones previously (which came with 2 - year guarantee, lots of different earbuds including foam ones, filters, cable splitters for use on planes and a better carry case, i regard the package as fairly miserly

Practicality:
The cable is a braided fabric (or possibly kevlar) one and is easy to untangle. Mediadevil's claims that it is "anti-tangle" are wishful thinking however.
The cable is too long for many situations (1.2 m) and leaves a lot of excess flapping around when on the move. this creates some noise from cable rub though it is not too intrusive.
The built in control button will let you take phone calls and skip/fast forward tracks. It does not include volume control which is a shame.
I got a good fit with the earbuds provided but it's not guaranteed for everybody - more sizes shoudl be supplied in my opinion. Noise isolation is very good with the correct fit.

Build quality:
In a word - fantastic.
The wood and metal finish is really classy, seems durable and every set should be unique. The cable looks tough and is attached robustly to the earphones and the gold - plated plug (which is angled, rather than sticking straight out of your device - nice touch)

Sound quality:
Absolutely superb.

There is ample bass with really crystal clear mid and treble that altogether makes the music sound sensational. The sound quality overall is phenomenal unlike some (such as my old Jays that i now realised sounded muddy and almost cramped by comparison, if that makes sense - and they were pretty good) and i've noticed that i can hear lots of detail in my music that i could not before.

Overall: If you want great sound quality and something different / unique and are prepared to forgive the minor shortcomings then these are for you..... but i can only really recommend them at the offer price of £30 (or less if you buy a screenprotector as well).

At £60 these would not be great value in my opinion as there are lots of great 'phones at this price that offer more for the money.
on 11 June 2014
Only two things matter when it comes to buying earphones; build quality and sound quality. On both, these earphones are well above their price range!

The cable is made of reinforced kevlar and feels far sturdier than any other wiring I've had on any other cable. The earphone casings themselves are made of recycled wood where each casing is different, including my own with the right coming as a lighter wood grain while the left is far darker. After having various metallic looking/plastic casings on my earphones, I've noticed that a lot of them still look quite tacky or or even scratch and subsequently lose their premium finish. The material used here oozes class rather than flash, which is something I currently love about them!

As for Sound Quality what can I say, you won't find better quality without spending hundreds of pounds. I'm not an audiophile but after owning various headphones and equipment I've found that downgrading in this department is impossible and once I'd upgraded my main enjoyment purpose set I couldn't go back to my old earphones. That being said, after using this, I can tell you that they produce clarity and bass that rivals my £250 set and outshine any other on the go set I've ever owned and at a fraction of the price! £29 is an absolute steal on these earphones!

Comes with a one year warranty which I doubt will be needed anyway due to the sheer quality in the materials used, a microphone/remote on the left cable that has full iDevice capabilities and play/pause on Android, so same as always. These also came with a small recycled bag which won't provide too much security for the earphones themselves, but then again I have my own little case, and had Maoam sweets included within the packaging which was a nice surprise. Definitely worth the money, wish I'd bought them sooner!

21/10/2014 EDIT----------------------------------------------

Had a sudden issue with the right earpiece not working anymore and failing to produce any form of sound even though sounds have not exceeded 50%. I do understand that these occurrences are infrequent and mine are probably an unlucky set in a good batch, nevertheless, after informing Media Devil they were extremely helpful as well as catering to what I needed. After asking them their policy on claiming on manufacturer's warranty, they had replied with an email stating that they'd sent me a new pair of their second generation headphones with new interior mechanics in the earpieces for better music optimisation as well as alterations to some of the cabling (jack to headphone split made from kevlar with the rest up to the ear piece made of a more familiar plastic).

If you're unsure over the quality of the headphones, let me assure you they are stupendous, and if that's not enough, the customer services are fantastic to boot, if you still haven't bought them, I suggest you make it your next luxury purchase at a great price!
on 5 March 2014
I was so torn between these or the obvious Sound Magics but decided to go for these (due to the fact i keep hearing peoples E10s breaking). What made it harder was that Amazon seemed to be the only place that has reviews for these earphones!

I've bought countless pairs of earphones and the late Sennheiser X300 were always my favorites, however they always broke after around 4months of usage... The EB-01 replaced my very mediocre JVC HA-FX1X (i got them due to the low price) and i can tell you the MediaDevil blows those earphones out of the water but thats obvious.

Its a shame i never got my hands on the E-10s so i cant do a direct comparison. But i can confidently say these earphones are a real treat and will not disappoint you for a £30 product, i would even say these are worth the £60, these are better than a pair of Denon earphones i had. As people said already, the sound is well balanced, clear and crisp. The bass is not overpowering but still strong - i really dont get the hype of overpowering bass and i listen to some 'bassy' tracks too - It sounded muffled out the box but all i had to do was re-adjust my equalizer (i use a Sony NWZE474 mp3 player) and i can hear difference already. Highly recommended, i even sent a message to What Hi Fi to consider these.

I will longer be dwelling on the X300s or the E10s. This IS A good product and i will buy another pair anyday, as long as it stays £30 ;)

Oh and thanks for the sweets haha..

---EDIT---

Okay, i forgot to edit my review. I had these replaced twice because they kept breaking within 1-2months. The first pair a wire ended up poking out of the cord, the second pair the in-ear headphones part ended up breaking apart. I cant say I am the most gentle person with these but I am also certainly not abusing them. Since then i kinda gave up with these and switched to a pair of Nakamichi MV7s (really good) and im also tempted to give the Boom Earwear BEOne a try for 'budget earphones'. One thing for sure tho, i cannot fault the service, really quick and responsive, i received the replacements even before i sent off my faulty ones!!
on 12 February 2014
Let's cut to the chase, these headphones are amazing.

I've owned headphones that sell for way more than these and to be absolutely frank, these Artisanphonics make them sound like they were made in a cave.

When you put them in they are like ear plugs, they isolate sound really well, to the point that I can be walking down a busy road listening to perfectly clear sound and barely hear the cars with the volume on about 10%. Not only that, the bass isn't too strong, on a lot of headphones the bass can overwhelm the vocals and ruin the sound quality for some songs and as my music taste is very eclectic it can get really frustrating. This doesn't happen here, it is perfectly balanced, whether I am listening to Heavy Metal, Folk or Classical these headphones deliver clear sound and beautiful levels. In fact, I listened to one of my favourite albums on these and noticed layers I never knew existed because the sound quality is so good.

Comfort wise these are great too, and they come with various tip sizes which is brilliant for me as I need to wear a medium in my left ear and a small in my right. The headphone shape seems to lock into your ear too and they don't fall out unless you catch the wire on something.

Speaking of the wire, it is braided thread, giving it a really awesome unique look, coupled with the wood and the little media devil logo in the metal these headphones are beautiful lookers, great for anyone who thinks of themselves as a little eccentric.

The wood casing is great, really unique and because you don't know what colour they are it's like opening a present to see what you got when they arrive.

They come in totally eco friendly packaging with no plastic, which, coupled with the reclaimed wood, makes them great for the eco warrior in all of us.

Buying them here is a great idea too, you get a great price and the seller is very courteous, they contacted me informing me of dispatch times and other important information and when they arrived they were extremely well packaged.
on 8 July 2014
Purchased the EB-01 which arrived quickly, well packaged. Been using for about 2 weeks now and am very impressed. I have paid more for headphones before and got less. For the price bracket they fall into they are very good.

Update 09/09/2014 dropped to 2 stars due to issues. I agree with others that the sound quality is excellent but there are issues. Regarding the cable noise I did experience this but it was by no means a deal breaker. Mine have been replaced now with a different make as like others one earpiece is no longer working. My guess is that this may be due to the material the cable is constructed of. Maybe the material has some properties that help protect during normal wear as it does look and feel more robust than most

However even with careful wrapping it seemed to have an unusually high tendency to bunch up in tight knots that would fold over themselves. I have had many headphones/earphones over the years and have not changed my daily use habits but I've never seen any get quite as tangled as these. I believe this was the cause of damage to the wire leading up to one of the earpieces.

So to those owners/perspective buyers out there my suggestion is don't just put them in your pocket or the main compartment of your bag and I think you would get many years of excellent use.
on 3 March 2014
I was bought these headphones last week by my wife (after some prompting) and I have to say I am very very impressed. I am something of an audiophile (I have a degree in acoustics for my sins) and I like to get the sort of reproduction quality from my headphones that I get from my B&W loudspeakers at home. I am also something of a headphone addict owning at least half a dozen pairs.

These headphones are so very impressive at the price. The sound is clear and bright, but with a rounded quality (you could say warmth) that means the reproduced sound is not harsh. The low frequencies (bass) are full and tight without distortion. The only negative is that they are picking out distortion in the low frequencies in one or two recordings and highlighting that. Like all earbud type phones a good seal is imperative for good reproduction, but once I had found the right set of the 3 sizes of supplied bud, I was presented with a clarity and quality that I would consider impressive for a pair of headphones at £100 a pair from the likes of the mainstream manufacturers.

These are replacing a pair of Sennheiser i300 in ear units, which they completely outstrip and will be fighting for pride of place with my AKG over ear units. They may well win. Well done MediaDevil, well done.
on 2 December 2013
Another great product from MediaDevil!

The wrapped cable, for me, is one of the best bits. I get so tired of trying to untangle headphones. Tonight, for example, I took these out of the storage bag (where I'd hastily just shoved them a few days ago) and I didn't have to spend two or three minutes untangling them, I just gave them a bit of a shake and they were ready to go. The cable is also a good length and feels really solid. I don't feel like I'm going to wreck the fine wires in the earpieces if I have to yank them out of my ears quickly (or, as is more likely, one of the cats crawls into my lap and takes the wire with him when he jumps back down). The cable-mounted pause-restart-skip button (which is also the mic) is very useful, too, especially when I'm using them at work and someone pops into my office. It works great on both my iPhone 5 and iPod Nano (6th Gen). I don't often listen to music, but with spoken word (audiobooks) they're fantastic. Also, and I'm sure this is just me, but... I have REALLY small ear canals. I always have to use the smallest earpieces and, with most other in-ear headphones, even then they're usually a bit uncomfortable after about an hour. I've been wearing these with the smallest earpieces for nearly four hours tonight (new Terry Pratchett audiobook!) and so far, no discomfort. They're worth the price for that alone, in my opinion!