5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Good
Published 8 months ago by cpes31

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made
I've had my MediaDevil headphones for just over 2 months now. Whilst the audio quality is great, they've already broken. The right ear plug detached completey from the wooden base, also tearing the wires. I looked after them carefully, and was delicate with them, so it's terrible to see this happen. My advice is get better quality headphones that actually last.
Published 7 months ago by Iain Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Good, 19 Jun. 2014
cpes31 (North Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MediaDevil Artisanphonics EB-01 premium wood earphones with built-in microphone (Electronics)
You only have to read the many other reviews on Amazon UK to get a feeling for how good these MediaDevil EB-01 earphones are. I'm very pleased with mine and often use them for serious music sessions through a dedicated DAC headphone amp when I can't be bothered to get out my Sen HD650 headphones. The EB-01s sound remarkably good on my Nexus 5 too. They are ideal for listening to audio ebooks too- none of the wisping and boom you get with some buds. I was a bit dubious about the wood body but it is well finished, high quality hard wood- no two phones are the same- and doesn't get grimy. In fact, the wood adds just a subtle touch of class to the phones.

Like many audio transducers, these earphones need running in. Out of the box the EB-01 are quite bass heavy and lacking in top end, but after a about 50 hours (loud) they settle down and become more coherent. They are remarkably forgiving too. While they make a good source sound good they also make the best of a bad source. All round they are nice.

The almost not good points:

1) The connector looks a bit weird- to me anyway. Don't get me wrong- it's robust, fits snugly, doesn't fall out, and is easy to use.
2) You get a choice of three diameter rubber sleeves which you fit to suit your ear, but I would like one just a smidgin smaller diameter than the standard size but not as small as the next size down. Perhaps MediaDevil would consider including a further two sleeves, one slightly smaller than normal and one slightly bigger.
3) The high frequencies are slightly subdued. Once again I'm being super critical.
4) They lack the degree of detail, definition, and wide sound stage of high-end phones. The fact that they can even be compared to high-end phones, costing £300 upwards, tells you something!

I love my EB-01s. They sound nice form all sources- quite simply there is nothing anywhere as good in this price range. You can buy them with confidence

PS: Great to see another British company making a well designed product. They also seem to care about their customers. And you get a free sweet in the box too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! (Android users see video), 20 Feb. 2014
Length:: 8:48 Mins

See video review.

Summary -

1. Exceptional sound.
2. Superb build quality with a kevlar reinforced wire.
3. Microphone is excellent, including when used outdoors.
4. In-line clicker remote works great with Android and can control volume! (An app is required for this, and an explanation and tutorial is in the video).
5. They look great.
6. The earphone wood, box and carry bag are made from recycled materials.
7. They come with free sweets. Nice touch!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best in their class, 15 Feb. 2014
Truly a quality product.

I have been through a lot of in-ear cans on my old Samsung Galaxy S3. Shures, Sennheisers, Sonys and JVCs. They all sounded good too, but this is the only pair that sound right. When I first got them them they sounded a bit woolly on the bass frequencies, but now that they have 'run-in' they are gorgeous. Even with my equaliser app set to 'flat', these phones have that 'impossible' high-end combination of detail and clarity combined with effortless, relaxed warmth and depth; I can listen to them for hours without any ear fatigue at all.

Highly recommended, and at this price they leave the competition breathing dust, and they allow you to take calls too and pause the music while you do, well cool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound, great build quality, minor flaws. Not the best value at full price. Amazing at the sale price., 16 Jan. 2014
For those thinking about buying these earphones, i thought i'd fill in a few gaps in the product info as well as giving an opinion on the product.

Mediadevil are a great company to purchase from (i've bought plenty of stuff from them now) but their info on this product was scant. This is what you get for your money:

Package Contents:
the earphones
a small drawstring carry bag (big enough to fit an ipod nano plus 'phones)
three sets of silicone earbuds to fit different ear sizes
A totally inadequate set of instructions on a small sheet of paper - no more than a few paragrpahs.
No info regarding the guarantee (it is 1 year i think). No care instructions.

having had a pair of Jays earphones previously (which came with 2 - year guarantee, lots of different earbuds including foam ones, filters, cable splitters for use on planes and a better carry case, i regard the package as fairly miserly

Practicality:
The cable is a braided fabric (or possibly kevlar) one and is easy to untangle. Mediadevil's claims that it is "anti-tangle" are wishful thinking however.
The cable is too long for many situations (1.2 m) and leaves a lot of excess flapping around when on the move. this creates some noise from cable rub though it is not too intrusive.
The built in control button will let you take phone calls and skip/fast forward tracks. It does not include volume control which is a shame.
I got a good fit with the earbuds provided but it's not guaranteed for everybody - more sizes shoudl be supplied in my opinion. Noise isolation is very good with the correct fit.

Build quality:
In a word - fantastic.
The wood and metal finish is really classy, seems durable and every set should be unique. The cable looks tough and is attached robustly to the earphones and the gold - plated plug (which is angled, rather than sticking straight out of your device - nice touch)

Sound quality:
Absolutely superb.

There is ample bass with really crystal clear mid and treble that altogether makes the music sound sensational. The sound quality overall is phenomenal unlike some (such as my old Jays that i now realised sounded muddy and almost cramped by comparison, if that makes sense - and they were pretty good) and i've noticed that i can hear lots of detail in my music that i could not before.

Overall: If you want great sound quality and something different / unique and are prepared to forgive the minor shortcomings then these are for you..... but i can only really recommend them at the offer price of £30 (or less if you buy a screenprotector as well).

At £60 these would not be great value in my opinion as there are lots of great 'phones at this price that offer more for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 2 Dec. 2013
Another great product from MediaDevil!

The wrapped cable, for me, is one of the best bits. I get so tired of trying to untangle headphones. Tonight, for example, I took these out of the storage bag (where I'd hastily just shoved them a few days ago) and I didn't have to spend two or three minutes untangling them, I just gave them a bit of a shake and they were ready to go. The cable is also a good length and feels really solid. I don't feel like I'm going to wreck the fine wires in the earpieces if I have to yank them out of my ears quickly (or, as is more likely, one of the cats crawls into my lap and takes the wire with him when he jumps back down). The cable-mounted pause-restart-skip button (which is also the mic) is very useful, too, especially when I'm using them at work and someone pops into my office. It works great on both my iPhone 5 and iPod Nano (6th Gen). I don't often listen to music, but with spoken word (audiobooks) they're fantastic. Also, and I'm sure this is just me, but... I have REALLY small ear canals. I always have to use the smallest earpieces and, with most other in-ear headphones, even then they're usually a bit uncomfortable after about an hour. I've been wearing these with the smallest earpieces for nearly four hours tonight (new Terry Pratchett audiobook!) and so far, no discomfort. They're worth the price for that alone, in my opinion!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 15 May 2014
I've always had problems with this earbud-type earphone sliding out of my ear, no matter how good the seal was and the size of the bud I used. I've reverted to using other types of earphones, such as the Bose IE2, which sounds great, but upon receiving and testing these I realised what I'd been missing.

Because they're directly in your ear canal, (although it may not be the greatest for the health of your inner ear) the bass is as powerful as I've heard. I know that's not all to a set of headphones, but it really is. There's sub-bass in some songs which I'm only fully experiencing now, having owned sets of RHA's, full-size Sony headphones etc, and it's more punchy and with more impact than I expected. Significantly impressed.

If you're not a great fan of bass you might want to look elsewhere, because these do lean toward it. They're also pretty warm-sounding, which I think may have something to do with the wooden construction. If you value bass at all you'll love them; electronic music sounds incredible. Aside from the bass, the overall sound is great. For the price, you won't be disappointed. Sadly, I can't comment on the microphone because, tragically, no one calls me.

The isolation is great, absolutely no issues there, and as I've said they're the most comfortable in-ear pair I've had; they barely budge unless the wire is tugged on. Speaking of the wire, that's the only significant problem I can pick up on. There are microphonics (cable noise) as you'd expect with the braided cable, but it doesn't really distract from the experience at all unless you're walking or running, in which case it might irritate you. It's not that much of a problem that I felt it should be four stars - the value and build quality of these earphones are amazing. Some people also might have liked to have seen a volume remote on the cable.

Also worth mentioning is the customer service. Contacted me before and after I received the product and they value after-sales service highly, which is great to see. Oh, and you also get sweets in the package, which is always a bonus!

Thoroughly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not being funny, but these mediadevil earphones actually outstaged the shure, 10 Jan. 2015
I purchased these earphones to replace my shure se530's, which were exposing wires at the ear piece. I just needed a quick fix, so bought these. I, however, didn't expect these earphones to come anywhere close to the shure. shure had 3 seperate drivers to individually concentrate on mids and bass, however, they severely lacked any bass at all! Not being funny, but these mediadevil earphones actually outstaged the shure. Seriously, I paid about £200 for the shure. With a good amp, they did sound decent, but that's another £100. These are the first earphones designed by this company. It took them 18 months to ensure that they were satisfactory for release. They sound incredible, and they reintroduced me to bass. Not in your face bass, but that warm low frequency that defines the heartbeat of every song. The foundation on which melodies can be built. Man, I missed bass. Mediadevil have my standing ovation, and I'm shouting 'encore!' Can't wait to see what you guys have next. Their customer service is second to none as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was gutted because I loved them. I had to wait until I was ..., 21 Jan. 2015
I don't usually write review but I was so impressed with their customer service that I thought I owe it to them.

I used to have Sennheiser CX 300 II. I used them regularly for 2 years until I forgot about them and left them in a hotel room and checked out. I was gutted because I loved them. I had to wait until I was back in the UK before looking for some new headphones online. I was going to buy the same ones but I came across these.

Comparing these to the CX 300 II's, I'd say they're pretty much the same in terms of sound quality. And that's definitely a compliment. For the money I don't think you can get much better. I'd say these are slightly better than the CX's because of the superior quality - anti-tangle kevlar cable, mic and wood finish.

I don't mind spending a bit of money for good quality headphones. It's important that I can have music booming in my ears in a crowded train and not have any sound leakage. Also the sound isolation needs to be very good - and these earphones excel in both areas. I could spend another £30 and get even better headphones, or spend another £100 and get phenomenal headphones, but for me the extra money spent isn't worth the slight increase in sound quality. These are a good balance between decent sounding headphones with all the bells and whistles without costing an arm and a leg.

I had a small problem with my headphones so I e-mailed MediaDevil. They replied within a few hours and bent over backwards to sort it out. Absolutely amazing customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended product with great sound quality and premium feel., 7 Jan. 2015
First of all I would like to start with by saying that many of these low ratings will now be irrelevant. This is due to the fact that MediaDevil has taken notice of these issues and corrected them with their 2nd generation earphones.

My original purchase lasted around 7 months and then an earpiece fell out of the wooden housing. Upon contacting Mediadevil they responded to me within less than a day and stated that they would be sending me a 2nd gen replacement.

These are the issues that were prevalent with the 1st gen earphones:

- Horrible noise feedback through the wires due to the braided fabric material (any rubbing against the wires would be heard in-ear).
- Many people reported that silver base of the earphone comes away from the wooden housing which is what happened to me.

I am happy to say that both these issues have been rectified.

The braided material is only up to the point where the earphone cables split to left and right, the rest of the way is now the standard rubber material you get on most earphones. This has completely removed that annoying noise that you used to get when rubbing the 1st gen cables against anything.

In the email response I received from MediaDevil they confirmed the weak glue holding the silver and wood pieces together and said the 2nd gen version has a much stronger hold.

I am happy to say that MediaDevil have one of the best customer service teams as they were understanding and also take notes about their customers feedback which can't be said for most companies these days. I will gladly purchase from them again and would highly recommend others to try this brilliant company out.

In terms of quality I can confirm that my £90 Sennheisers perform around the same as these. Now this is value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best earphones I've ever heard at this price point., 24 May 2014
I go through earbuds pretty quickly. So I hope these last as I love them.
If you're a chin stroking audiophile then you may turn your nose up at these as they are warm not clinical, bassy not thin. If you want to hear all the notes, instruments, voices, rhythms and beats clearly and well seperated then I recommend these very highly. For me these are way better than Sennheiser and Sound Magic buds in the same price range.
The bass is really good. Not that rumbling blurred unresponsive sound that the Dr Dreadfulls give but a fast accurate bass. Great for picking out notes in jazz or death metal, kick drums are individually discernible. The bass goes down deep with power if you want it to.
The mids are clear and warm with a really good sound spread and the stereo separation is awesome. Guitars and vocals excel here.
The highs aren't sibilant or over sharp so no fatigue with prolonged hearing. The highs are very clear and there's very good sound separation up here too.
The way the instruments are separated and the sound is spread is the best I've heard at this price range.
From Kate Bush to death metal, techno to jazz these reproduce a cracking fun and clear sound.

The noise isolation and fit are extremely good, maybe a little too good for road exercise as outside sounds are cut out extremely well. The fit is instantly good and the cables can be worn over the ears if so desired.
My only complaint is the cable does transmit noise from friction, from wind and clothes but worn over the ears alleviates this.
Every set of buds I've used with similar corded cables are like this BUT these do work over the ear exactly as well as dangling.

They did need burning in, the difference was massive in fairness. Without equalization folk will call them a bit bass heavy, they can be as bass heavy or light as you like as they take to equalizing very very well.
Equipment these have been used on: Cowon D20, Cowon D2+DAB, Creative Audigy sound card, Motorola RAZRi XT890, DS, Xbox, Nokia 625, Apple stuff, Sony VAIO laptop.

Now my favourite headphones as they give me a great sound no matter what I'm listening to.
Delivered next day too ;)