5.0 out of 5 stars Want a new cookbook? Buy this one!
Published 8 months ago by MrsLeilaB

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but...
I quite enjoyed the presentation but in general I found that it catered, naturally, to American tastes which are often very different to European ones. I also get so exasperated at having to convert weights, measures and temperatures! That said, I've made a few of the recipes, the Meat Loaf was a failure, we really didn't enjoy it (it was bland and unexciting) but the...
Published 5 days ago by alicambs

5.0 out of 5 stars Want a new cookbook? Buy this one!, 4 Feb 2014
If you are new to eating Paleo, or just in need of some new ideas, this is the book for you. It is fair to say that this is not just a recipe book - it is so much more. It is an A-Z guide of cooking, from the the most basic to the sublime and I guarantee it will have you in the kitchen eager to cook up a storm! It is charming, beautifully photographed, witty and informative, all without being too 'sciency'.

The step-by-step, clear photos for every recipe and funky illustrations throughout make this so easy to use. It seems they have combined fonts, photos and pictures perfectly, so that each page plays out its recipe without you having to laboriously pore over it. The recommendations for kitchen tools/utensils, supplies, sauces and spices and advice on how and when to use them is invaluable and a definite read if, like me, you have been debating on which essentials you really should have to help in the kitchen. There is plenty of nutritional advice in a nice, easy-to-read format and lots of tips on how to stay on track if you are trying to eat Paleo.

I have been eating Paleo for nearly two years and although my family are supportive, getting this book has been the catalyst to getting them to change their eating habits. My husband and daughter have finally ditched their cereal in favour of Maple Sausage Patties and we have had Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup 3 weeks running. We served it to our local greengrocer across the road (as she was intrigued by the mix of ingredients used) and she loved it too!

There is not a week that goes by now, without consulting and cooking from this book at least twice. My daughter loves the little cartoons in it and likes to read out the little captions on various pages when she's flicking through. The recipes are simple, yet beuatiul and have bought new flavours into our kitchen and our home. Not only has it inspired us, but all the little tips and tricks have been so useful (like how to really caramalize your onions). I love this book so much, I have bought 3 copies - one for our home, one for my sister-in-law and another for my brother. Want a new cookbook? Buy this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 13 Jan 2014
This is a great book; beautiful photos and inspiring words and, of course, fab recipes. I have been waiting for the book as, not having an ipad, I couldn't get the cooking app. Michelle has a brilliant blog and this is a great accompaniment to it. She's so wonderfully enthusiastic! There are usually problems with getting a few of the ingredients here in the UK (when cooking from US paleo recipe books...) but actually the only thing that I can't seem to get in Ocado are coconut aminos! I'm very happy with this book :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this!, 12 Feb 2014
Every recipe so far has been excellent. I in conjunction with her blog I have consistently been producing great food. A great tool for a Whole30 (she has listed the compliant recipes on her site) or day to day. My copy is already looking worn from use! A good sign!

Definitely recommend the caramelised onions, magic mushroom powder, slow cooker chicken n gravy. These are now staples in my kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusually fun and different book about cooking that rightly bears the name food for humans, 2 Jan 2014
Denis Vukosav - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
"Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans" prepared by Michelle Tam by Henry Fong is unusually fun and different book about cooking, that in a humorous way using different techniques, among other comic drawings, offers numerous recipes for cooking whole, unprocessed ingredients absolutely free of added sugar, grains and legumes.

Our hosts are four cartoon characters - Michelle, Henry, Owen and Ollie which will lead us through more than 100 recipes in this book divided in 9 chapters plus introduction that gives the background of how and why this book was released.

The recipes are divided into chapters bearing the following titles: building blocks, nibbles, salads and soups, eggs, plants, seafood, poultry, meat and treats.
From the book contents it can be seen that the authors truly covered a wide and varied circle of dishes and foods, thereby becoming interesting to many people that seek information about healthy eating.

The author in one place beautifully said that her love for food started with the tastes, sights, and aromas of her mother's kitchen, her being an excellent cook, and as a child she was her little shadow while mother prepared supper each night.

And it's exactly this love for food that can be visible in the pages of this innovative and beautifully designed cookbook that offers many photographs for each of the included recipes covering step-by-step preparation process with personality add-on author's touch.
As the authors themselves said, this book doesn't have a specific audience; at the same time it's a collection of dishes whose preparation is quick, while the food and health quality is high, and these are characteristics that are these days important to all of us.
Therefore, "Nom Nom Paleo" book rightly bears the name food for humans and due to that can be recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book and fantastic recipes, 15 Feb 2014
I have been eating paleo for about 18 months and have lost 4 1/2 stone and improved my health immensely. Until I bought this book I just got paleo recipes from the internet or adapted recipes from my other books. However I was tempted into buying this by the cute style of the book and the great reviews. I am so glad I bought it because it is lovely to look at and there is something more satisfying about reading a book rather than surfing the web.

I have made quite a few of the recipes and they have all been lovely. Basic paleo favourites like zoodles and cauliflower rice are included which makes it suitable for people who are new to paleo, but there are also more complex and unusual recipes for the more experienced. My absolute favourite is the peruvian chicken which is amazing. The instructions are easy to follow and there aren't too many wacky ingredients that are impossible to find. I love that the book has US and British measures and oven temp conversion chart at the back so that I can easily look up the info I need.

Overall I really love this book and I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 15 April 2014
This is a super recipe book with a twist. It is easy to read and follow the recipes. The only down side for me is that Michelle Fong adds too much salt to each recipe for me. I have tried many recipes and adjusted the salt to my taste and they are superb.Thank you for taking the time to write this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable recipes from a great blog, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans (Kindle Edition)
I have enjoyed Michelle's blog for some time and it was one of the motivators for my initial dive in to Paleo eating. The recipes in this book are familiar both in terms of content and presentation; cute cartoons and delicious photographs with well written and easy to comprehend recipes. This is an American book so expect the usual kitchen translations (cups, Fahrenheit etc.) but helpfully there is a set of conversion tables covering all of the number crunching you are likely to need.

The content is quite conversational and there might be too much anecdote for some people - have a read of the blog first to get a flavour.

Contents:

A good introduction to the Paleo Diet - foods to avoid, ration and enjoy freely are outlined.
An overview of some of the kitchen gizmos you might employ - nothing too weird here and none of it mandatory.
Stocking your kitchen/cupboards.

Building blocks - an overview of some staple things you can make e.g. Ghee, Paleo Mayonnaise, Salsas and sauces.
Nibbles - snacks and quick bites e.g. Apple Chips, Kale Chips, Roasted nuts
Salads & Soups e.g. Madras Chicken Salad, Coleslaw, Bone Broth
Eggs - lots of variations of classic egg based snacks and meals
Plants - Veggie sides/mains e.g. Courgette Noodles, Roasted Mushrooms, Sweet Potato Hash
Seafood - e.g. Spicy Coconut Shrimp, Mussels in Curry Broth.
Poultry - e.g. Chicken Nuggets, Slow Roasted Duck Legs.
Meat - e.g. Korean Short Ribs, Yankee Pot Roast
Treats - e.g. Cinnamon Apple Scones, Whipped Coconut Cream, Summer Berry Soup.

In summary, I use many of the recipes weekly and honestly the recipes are so easy to follow its difficult not to flick through and find something impressive sounding that is a doddle to make.

If you are looking for a tasty intro to Paleo food then I really recommend this book and the blog (and the App for the matter!)

Why 4 stars? The Kindle edition has one or two display issues that occasionally make read a bit awkward (only very occasionally but still annoying).

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on!, 28 April 2014
E BLAKE "Emily" (Basingstoke, UK) - See all my reviews
New to Paleo eating, I was eager to get a few cookbooks to help me adapt to a much more restrictive lifestyle. This cookbook shows how UNRESTRICTIVE it can be. The recipes are easy to follow and really, really tasty. Fits perfect with my style of cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars For you as well, Paleo is not *really* be a diet! Just read more!, 29 Aug 2014
I'm a food fanatic and somewhat experienced home cook from Finland and by default, I don't write reviews. So this would be my first one for the Amazon. However, I regarded this book so exceptional so I did decide to make an exception as I regarded the author and illustrator were really entitled for for recognization - if something's lost in translation, that would stand for a reward.
If you like and can eat all kind if good food, don't be a frightened about the title since paleo in a fact is would not seem to a diet for you. To me it's more or less a decision to put more on the a plate ingredients that I prefer most - a choice of ingredients. To know more, read the book or peek the preview.
Recipes seems to be a top-notch, however I need to try each out before making the final judgement - these differ from the (my) main stream so it's your option to opt which kind of slaw etc. you make.
But the instructions and level of these would give anyone that spends time on the kitchen great help. For example and as small sample, guidance given for the poached eggs would make a difference.
As a verdict, illustration - this part emphasized, and detail of instructions, and ideas are really top-notch.

5.0 out of 5 stars cathbanjo, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans (Kindle Edition)
Amazing book, love the recipes, simple and straight forward to follow. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone

Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans