Format: DVD|Change

on 27 March 2016
What an excellent film with a terrific cast esp the two male leads. Intelligently produced and very true to life without anything sordid. The story is so true to life and believe me it is, I've been there more than once, and I found the film very very moving.

So sad that many still believe that homosexuality is about purely sex and something people choose to be when in reality gays feel all the emotions as deeply and sincerely as anybody else. To quote one of the guy's parents: ' We didn't bring our son up to be like this '.

Sad that so many guys have tried to ' conform' risking the lives and true happiness of all concerned.

I'm an unattached 65yr old gay man and this film has had a profound effect on me. Thanks to all those in and to do with this remarkable film. God Bless You all.
on 31 January 2014
This film is in ingenius!

Here's my humble attempt to interpret the not so obvious many layers of this wonderful film:

The evolution Marc (Hanno Koffler) is going through in his public life (living the "ultimate" dream - having a girlfriend, living together in a small country house, a soon to be father...) symbolizes the evolution he is going through in his closeted ,away from the public eye, life. Much like the fetus developing in his girlfriend's womb, so is Marc's existence, and as the film progresses and so is the pregnancy, so is Marc's character and so are his relationships with kay, with Betinna, his parents and his friends in the unit, until ultimately the child is born. The birth of his child represents the turning point of his life and also, in my opinion, the birth of his new being. It is only then when he accepts his new self and embraces his attraction to men in general and his love for Kay in particular.

The 2 leading actors are truly SUPERB (Hanno Koffler as Marc and Max Riemelt as Kay are extremely reliable and convincing, captivating the viewer with their true rare and outstanding acting skills. [while at it, I would recommend watching the other films these 2 brilliant actors play in]). Their co-stars shine as well (Katharina Schüttler as Bettina, Oliver Bröcker as Frank, and the list goes on). A truly brillinat cast. Also note Maren Kroymann ((best known for her role in "Mein Leben & ich")) as Marc's homophobic mother who is, in real life, openly lesbian... if that's not a brilliant casting then I don't know what is. Hats off!

The only "issue" I have with this film is the fast pace, at least at the beginning, which, in my opinion, somewhat sabotages its credibility (I mean, the guys have only known each other for what now? 2 minutes? and they're already having sex? considering that one of them is supposed to be "straight", he sure was ready to "go at it"). I also think that the ending is very confusing. There isn't really an end to this film and the viewers are left with some sort of an annoying feeling and a bunch of unanswered questions : Was Marc really left alone? where's Bettina? Where's Kay? I mean, hello, there are cell phones nowadays, why hasn't Marc called to see where Kay is? was Kay just vanished off the face of the earth? No wonder people are asking for a sequel...There's just no obvious closure. However, the director's decision to end the film with a(nother) running secene is yet another example of how brilliant this film is, because inspite of the many unanswered questions we the viewers are left with, we somewhat do get the feeling that Marc went on with his life - he kept going, kept on running. Where to exactly? maybe the sequel will reveal... (although I doubt that there ever gonna be a sequel).

I love the fact that the sex scenes weren't very literal (or "in your face" if you'd like), as some of the sex scenes in other gay themed films are. Without being too explicit the 2 main characters still manage to be very passionate and reliable. I really felt like Kay and Marc were making love, rather than just having (meaningless) sex.

In conclusion, I would recommend this film to anyone, "straight" or gay, black or white, tall or short, skinny or full figuered. It just doesn't matter. This is a simple, yet intense and mesmerizing , love story for EVERYONE!
on 19 March 2014
So many of the Pecadillo films are done on the cheap, lack any character development and are predictable from the outset, but Free Fall was better than all those. Decent film, decent characters, decent exploration of their stories. Worth watching.
on 28 January 2014
I watched this film last night after some good reviews ,The story is about two police officers in the German police force ,One is married and straight ,the acting is good and the story line is similar to broke back mountain ,the sex scenes are realistic and the two actors are convincing ,this is one of the best gay themed movies I have seen for some time I enjoyed it and recommend viewing that is why I gave it 5stars ,The two actors give a great performance
And it would be great if they did a follow up .enjoy ,Brian .in London
on 22 February 2014
So the theme may have been said may times before, but that doesn't undermine the fact that the Europeans have done it again - They just know how to get it right…unlike most American films - especially gay independent films - this is truly what good film making is all about. If the Americans made a movie like this - they would be giving themselves a huge pat on the back and it would become a great, award winning hit. The chemistry between the 2 leads is extremely convincing without being too overstated and apart from everything else they are both just so damn hot. I haven't seen such 2 hot guys together in an American movie ever - gay or straight. However it's as if they're not even aware of that fact. It is about so much more than just 2 spunky guys falling for each other. I hope we will see are lot more of these great actors and more from this brilliant director in the near future.
on 8 November 2015
Great movie. Heartfelt and emotional. I won't go into plot detail as the is already a lot of stuff about it. I was rather moved by this film. I thought the acting was incredible and was so great highly recommend this movie
on 13 May 2015
Love this film. An original storyline and quite believeable. Also very well acted and directed. You really do feel for all the characters, straight and gay. Well maybe not the homophobic cop. But certainly the three main characters and the predicament each finds themselves in. Intelligent gay film making. Weel worth a view.
on 20 July 2015
Don't let the fact that it's a German film with English subtitles put you off. The storyline, while not really original, is very well told with strong performances from both male lead actors (and the wife as well puts in a heartbreaking performance as time goes on in the film). Loved every minute of it.
on 28 February 2014
Unlike Hollywood it would appear that European gay films have no problems with making films that are not 'tidy' and are not confined to the concerns of a select few streets in New York. This particular film addresses a lot of issues which must affect some men who realise just that bit too late, or at an inconvenient time, that they have feelings for other men - or in this case just one man. All the parts are really well acted and no one lets the film down. The other policemen and particularly the girlfriend give very realistic performances. The reactions of the parents are interesting. In Hollywood the parents tend to come round or accept very rapidly their son's situation. In this film they don't want it. They just want him to get married, settle down next door and just live like them. 'We didn't raise you to be like this' was one sentence his mother said when she saw them kiss in the hospital. The look on her face when she gets into the lift is priceless!

You do feel sorry for the girlfriend though. She has just given birth and then she has to deal with her partner's infidelity. "I can't even get jealous!" I would have thought that German police would be the least homophobic of all forces in Europe but this film shows that it is just as alive there as anywhere and they are certainly not wanted in the dressing rooms.

The main character Marc does a very good job of battling his desires. It is the slow development of going from recoiling at another man's touch to the reluctant acceptance of his overwhelming desires for the other man - even to the ending of his relationship with the mother of his son. The film does not tie up everything nicely. We are left with a lot of loose ends but I suppose that is what happens in a lot of these situations. The child isn't just going to disappear and Marc's destiny is also left in the air. It is not certain where he will end up.

Overall an engaging film which does justice to the theme. Do watch the deleted scenes on the 'Extras' as they add to the film. I don't know why they weren't added as they aren't too long.
99 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 April 2014
This is going into my "Favourite Films' folder. It was very true to life and I thought the idea of two policemen getting sexually involved and how they deal with it was great because policemen as a workgroup is not one that comes to mind when conveying gay issues. That being said, I thought the film did a great job in showing what a struggle it can be not just with the characters feelings but the prejudice as well. This is well worth a watch.