5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone
Published 5 months ago by Penally Crow

3.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Marmite Device
I had to return my Lumia 1520 because of a faulty charger. That being said, I had enough hands on time with it to be able to write a concise review.

It was a solid device. Built like a tank, screen was gorgeous, camera was great (albeit slow to capture photo's) and Windows Phone runs like butter.

That being said, I think that 6 inches is pushing it...
Published 3 days ago by Haydn

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone, 9 Feb 2014
This is the second Windows phone that I have owned and I am so happy with it. It is very fast, very easy to use, takes great pictures and connects up all my email accounts for home and 2 businesses plus facebook, twitter etc. I love the large size but I accept that it may not be for everyone and the idea of a previous reviewer to cut one out of cardboard and see how it goes in your pocket and bag etc before purchasing is a very good one.

To anyone out there who has an iphone or android phone and is considering a change - go for it - this is sooooo much better than any other phone I have used.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
Having now owned this phone for 6 months I still think it is a great phone but I have to add a couple of things I have discovered. Firstly I didn't realise when I bought this phone that it was from a non-European supplier and Nokia are being difficult about the warranty now that I have a repair issue. If you are not buying this from Nokia then check if the supplier is European or preferably UK based as this may affect your warranty. I may succeed in my argument with Nokia but I may not so be careful folks - they are not as good customer service-wise as HTC.
Secondly the device is prone to software freezes - have had 3 instances now where I have had to resort to the Nokia software recovery tool to re-boot a sulking handset which in 6 months of ownership is not great - had NO issues ever with my old HTC Windows 7 phone but maybe its a newer technology bug thing....Just be aware that this may happen and its very frustrating and time-wasting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Phone I Have Used So Far, 14 Jan 2014
Moving from an Apple iPhone "back" towards a Windows phone was for me a giant leap of faith. I used to have old windows phones before the days of iPhone and Android. My old experience with the historic menu driven Windows phones were traumatic to say the least. I am both surprised and happy to say that the leap of faith was worth it and my Windows experience has finally rivalled the last three incarnations of iPhone (3, 4S and 5S respectively) that I had been using. It is as if the best of iPhone and Android have been blended together to provide a superior experience.

Yes, a truly superlative experience. I had bought the MS Office 365 subscription and installed Office on the iPhone and I was happy with that until I tried Nokia Lumia 1520 and now I do not want to go back to iPhone because the iPhone 5s screen looks and feels tiny and almost trivial.

My wife uses a Galaxy Note 2 and when she tried the Nokia Lumia 1520 she feels that the Note 2 screen is too small!! So you see there is a real joy in larger screens on your phone.

I even feel that phones can go as large as a 65mm screen (this has a 60mm diagonal) perhaps even 7cm (70mm) may not be too large for the pocket as long as the bezel (edge around the screen) is slim.

Stunning phone. Beautiful interface. Pleasure to use. Superb camera clarity. Integrates with Gmail, Yahoo, xBox, Windows Desktop, Office (Word, Excel), Outlook, fantastic SkyDrive (which was the decider for me). 5 Stars and highly recommended.

UPDATE: 5/02/2014 - I still find this superior to Samsung Note 3 which my wife got this week. The Android has advantages like the Paypal Here app for chip and pin card which is not yet available for Windows phones. However, if it was not for that, my wife revealed that she would have chosen the largest windows phablet as well. The picture quality on Samsung Note-3 is strikingly poor! In comparison, the 1520 is very close to an SLR!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for a large screen Phone? You found it!, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 1520 32GB Sim Free Windows Phone 8 Smartphone - White (Electronics)
As anyone can see from the amount of phones I get through (it's legal and keeps me out of the pub), the new 1520 is a total thumbs up for many reasons. I sold my Note 3 (yes with Galaxy Gear), HTC One x 2 (including the Dual Sim) and finally the iPhone 5, to step up (the experience of owning/using a Lumia 1520 can only be described as stepping up). Here are my reasons;

1. Build quality is top drawer. Lumia design proves you don't need shiny bits of metal finish to look and feel good. How many iPhone 5/S owners can say that after 3 or 4 months of rattling around in their pocket? They chip and scratch like a fifty year old painted tin can. Even the beautiful HTC One's alloy cut edge around the screen marks and chips like mad. No problem with a Lumia 1520 or indeed their 1020 (yep, have one of those too - only because of the camera, that didn't get sold on when the 1520 arrived).

2. Screen. What a screen. It is large of course, but nothing prepares you for the amount of information you can see in one glance, (check out how little you can actually fit on an HTC One of Note 3 screen after comparing with the 6" Lumia. Better still the Lumia is very readable outdoors, the others are not.

3. Audio. Earpiece and speaker volume are LOUD and rattle/distortion free. My 1020 audio is low via the earpiece which is a pity. The 1520 is very very loud.

4. APPS. Bar SONOS who have to be the laziest manufacturer for offering their customers an app to control their expensive home audio, I am not for wanting anything else (The Times maybe). Every time I buy another Windows 8 phone they have added yet more apps and improved the operating system. It all just works. Skydrive for example is so good at auto backing up your photo's, video's, files etc. Easy and free.

5. Battery life - 3 days! Considering you are buying one of the most powerful phones with the biggest screen on the market today, (just look at the spec), and indeed the fastest Windows phone available, you will be very impressed with the battery performance. You will get a day at first but over 4/5 charges it's up to three.

6. Camera. This is extremely good but not as good as the 1020 Lumia. However, unless you are shooting hi-rez images and want to zoom in, you won't notice the difference between the 1020 & the 1520. In low light it's very good and way better than the Note 3. Video is great too but I will concede that the 4k video of the Note is crazy. (read the best).

7. Wow does this thing fly on 4G - 37MB download and 15MB up. That's faster than most UK homes broadband. O2 are offering an amazing deal on 4G at the moment so check that out too. (5GB & 4G upgrade for free to existing customers via their retentions team).

If you want your phone to be light and compact, look away. People may think you are Dom Jolly owning such a large device at first but just think how often you use your phone to make calls these days. Web browsing, Facebook, YouTube, photo's, movie watching is just unbeatable on the 1520.

Finally, if you are thinking of buying one, mine came from Gooddeal4you via Amazon. They were the best price, delivered within 3 working days. They come from Hong Kong but are full EU spec and accept all the latest updates including the important GDRC update to the latest Black release from Nokia.

Would have been quite happy to pay 550 but at 380 you would be off your trolley to buy a Note 3 and suffer poor receive performance, inaccurate Android keypad entry and the odd crash every other day.

May 2014 UPDATE - Installed Windows 8.1 onto 1520 (& 1020). It seems Microsoft are making it very easy to access & install their latest 8.1 release ahead of it's official UK date.

The main improvements are:

A. Huge Calendar function improvement. If there was a weak spot before this was it. The new layout and user interface is excellent and gives even Samsung's offerings a big run for its money. If you use your 1520/1020 for business this is a very real requirement and 8.1 have nailed it with the upgrade.

B. "Swype keyboard". Used on Android for years now on 8.1. Works perfectly and speeds up typing by 3-50%. Great addition.

C. Finally different volume levels for APPS & Media / Ringing and notifications. Plus assign different tones to each app

D. Swipe down notification centre - just like IOS & Android. Okay so the others have had it a while but W8.1 has caught up and just makes WM an even better experience.

Lots more - just Google W8.1. If you want to know how to do it it's easy and takes no longer than 60 seconds to install the relevant upgrade paths. PM me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!!, 21 April 2014
Last February I bought this mobile and I was immediately impressed both by its size, but especially by the quality both hardware and software. It has 32 GB of expandable memory up to 128GB (although nokia recommended max. 64GB ) , 2GB of RAM, but above all the fantastic camera of 20 megapixel Zeiss pure view that really takes incredible beautiful pictures. I tried in all kind of light conditions and I must say that the photos are absolutely sharp, bright and with beautiful vivid colors . Above all, I was amazed by pictures taken with flash in low light , the autofocus does a wonderful job and the pictures are without any noise. Another highlight is the battery, even with tough days made ​​of whatsapp , sms , wifi , calls, continuous listening to the nokia mix radio and a few games (fifa 14 the most used), the phone still comes to evening with 30-35% . With a quieter but use with wifi always on I arrived at 3 days almost 4. For those who are afraid of its size or weight , I can tell that the phone is so well balanced that seems less heavy than many phones that weigh a 30 gr. less . Finally I have to say that surfing internet or watch a video on you tube is absolutely a unique experience than what they offer mobile phones with smaller screen. When you have tried it you will see other phones like something very small and uncomfortable . In the last days I've updated the mobile to windows phone 8.1 and I have to say that the software has reached a great maturity and those who still complain than Android or IOS are still the, maybe they should try a go with windowphone software. Good ? No! Highly recommended .

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant device - but not for me, 8 May 2014
I have owned many smart phones over the years and they have always been predominantly Android (with a couple of Iphones) - so I consider myself pretty well versed in those platforms.

I decided to take the plunge into Windows Phone mainly because I wanted to try something new. The 1520 seemed perfect - had the most advanced specs of any WP handset (1080p screen, quad core snapdragon 800 processor, adreno 330 GPU, 2gb ram).

First off this is a huge phone - my advice is you definatley need to check it out before you buy one. It is undoutably one of the most beautiful looking and feeling handsets I've seen (especially in white) but if you can get over the size you will be treated to one of the best displays I have ever seen.

This phone is quick and I mean really quick - yes the animations of WP hide a lot but it never feels like it is slow or lagging EVER.

The camera is simply sensational again the best I have seen (bar the Lumia 1020 and its ridiculous sized sensor) - 20mp is more than enough coupled with the decent manual controls over the camera settings (focus, white balance, shutter speed, iso etc).

Apps - now this is where the first of my issues began. Yes there are lots of apps now in the store and more and more of the bigbnames are jumping onboard BUT the omission of any Google apps is very clear even with third party alternatives. The other problem is the quality of the apps when compared to their Android or IOS counterparts - it's just so far off it feels like you've been cheated.

As mentioned the interface is simply gorgeous especially since I upgraded to the developers edition 8.1 which brings a host of new features and will likely get even better with official releases. However for me the interface is just too restrictive - in many ways like IOS but less 'polished' overall. It does have great potential and I am excited to see what else comes out from Microsoft and Nokia's new merger.

Ultimately the 1520 is an amazing device for anyone looking for a smartphone with an easy to use interface, amazing camera and display. For someone like me coming from years of Android the interface is just too restrictive which is why reluctantly I sold mine after a week and bought an LG G2.

I am much happier for now being back with Android but wont be ruling out WP in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phablet? Or should that be FAB-let?, 17 Jun 2014
Okay, that pretty much lays out my shingle! I love this beastie. Apart from a few starter hiccups that were as much about my learning curve than anything else, this has been a beautiful friendship so far between me and this device. Yes, the keyboards were all in Chinese to start with but that's soon changed. You can personalise the front screen with all your own bells and whistles and fave apps so everything you use regularly is close by and there's a comprehensive list for all the other stuff. I've had The Device now for two months and it goes everywhere with me. The screen is HUGE and bright, the built-in maps are amazing and downloading content to it is a breeze. The camera is amazing and is good for both work and play. The only slight downer is the battery time but turning location and wi-fi off seems to lengthen the time between charges. The accompanying documentation is, frankly, pretty rubbish, but there is on-line help available. As for lack of apps - it hasn't bothered me so far and I have d/l'ed a few things now from various 'readers' to games and music and all seems just fine and anyway, who really needs an app that makes your face looked like a squished tomato in 'selfies'? All in all, a great purchase and a thoroughly enjoyable machine to own and use and well deserving of the five stars I've given it.
Disclaimer - I am not part of Nokia nor any of its subsidiaries nor am I anything to do with content providers, Windows, or any of that malarkey! I just use a mobile phone like everyone else and I would recommend this to anyone who fancies trying out the Windows platform with a half-phone half-tablet. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning, 27 Jan 2014
the lambanana "the lambanana" (liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Once upon a time Nokia were the mobile phone that everyone wanted. The tiny Nokia 8210/VT - SIM Free was drooled over.

Then a big bad competitor came along with the iPhone Apple IPhone Black 8GB Unlocked Sim Free Mobile Phone Slowly everyone lost interest in Nokia and drifted towards Apple or similar type products (Like the Silly Samsung who pretended they were an original idea but simply copied and improved)

The Nokia was sad. No one loved them. Everyone said they'll go the same way as Blackberry. (and that made them cry)

Then one day the Nokia woke up. It was no longer sad. It had gone from an ugly duckling. (N96) To a beautiful swan.

Everyone with a brain exclaimed, "Oh the Nokia 1520 is simply the best mobile phone."

And it killed the iphone.

And they all lived happily ever after.

The end.

Ok, maybe not the end. Perhaps the start? This is Nokia's attempt at capturing a segment of the smartphone market.

IS IT BETTER THAN AN IPHONE
===========================
Large? Yes it's large. But not too large.
Photography? It takes stunning photos. As good as a compact camera, in fact better than a compact.
And yes it's better than the iPhone. Much better.

INTERNET
========
Searching for something online is much better. Quicker. And just looks better on this size phone. The display is amazing. Clear, Vibrant and distinct. I think it's better than an iPhone.
It also uses 4G. Here in Liverpool, that meant that I got blistering fast pages on the O2 network.

BATTERY
=======
Remember when you had a mobile phone and it would last for days. Then the iphone came along and there was an expectation to have a charger at home, in the car, at school, in the office. This lasts for ages. Ages! I was on day three and it still had 30% left after a fair amount of use.

CAMERA
======
Wow. That's what you will say when you take pictures with this beauty. Awesome results. Wow.

USER EXPERIENCE
===============
This is the first iPhone competitor that I think is better. The windows experience seems to work on this. It's flawless.

APPS
====
It had the apps available that I want to use. I'm a little bored of "Has it got access to 500000000 apps?" No. Most people I know have the same apps: Shazam, angry birds, skype etc.

WOULD I GO BACK TO IPHONE
=========================
I have to admit that I do like my iphone. It works. It's good. But it's small. I'd not noticed that before. Until this beauty came along. If the iPhone 6 comes out with the same form factor then I'll consider it. But for now (January 2014) this is currently THE Best phone that's available.

RECOMMENDED
===========
Yes. I hope you enjoyed my review and if you have any queries please feel free to add to the comments where either I or other 1520 owners can respond.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Phone, 19 Jun 2014
Purchased from GoodDeals4u and ordered and delivered in 9 days, This phone is big but you soon get used to it, have never had an iphone but my daughter has one and I really don't like them, have always had Android all different makes, having used Windows phone years ago which was a disaster I decided to give this a go, and what an awesome improvement, this phone is a delight to use very smooth and powerfull.
Battery lasts forever, and if your not someone who has to have every crap app out there on the phone then the windows app store is pretty good, I have all the apps I used on my Android and they all work superbly, some even better then Android.
Yes it's big but the build quality and performance are as good as any top phone out there today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone!, 21 May 2014
As a Windows Phone fan I have to say this is absolutely by far the best mobile EVER!
The screen is just insanely amazing!
The phone is extremely powerful and there is no delay when opening apps
The battery life surprised me, it last for ages! I thought it would be a bad battery life considering how big the screen and processor are, but it lasts for ever!
Love the option to add an SD card for extra storage
It has wireless charging!! Very handy!
The camera is wonderful, no words can describe how stunning it is!
Well done Nokia & Microsoft on making such an amazing phone!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic pice of kit, 17 May 2014
I am review a smart phone, so I can understand that these reviews can take forever to get to the point, but I'll try and be as straight forward as possible.

The phone looks stunning. Very minimalist, typical Nordic Scandinavian design. The build quality is typical Nokia, with the unibody polycarbonate, its beautifully finished and has never let me down. It stands up to starches and dings very well indeed.

The display is beautifully. Crisp, clear, bright and very responsive. Lovely large size and thin bezels.
Windows phone 8 is outstanding and gets better with every update. It never lags, is super easy to sue, looks gorgeous and is just very nice and easy to use. Integrated office and onedrive is a lifesaver for someone who has to go to college and wants to edit and view things on the go.
Very snappy phone indeed. Apps and games laud instantly. IE mobile is the best mobile browser. Wipes the floor with chrome for android.
Call quality is exceptional and is signal strength. Volume goes up very loud but doesn't distort.
The loud speaker is another surprise. It again is very loud but doesn't distort as much as you would think and even pumps out some noticeable bass. The supplied earphones are very good as well and you have Dolby adjustable EQ. Sound quality is brilliant.
Battery life is good for a phone of this type. Lasts me over 2 days and I periodically go on the internet , check my facebook, emails and texts and connect the Bluetooth to my car.
Its just a really lovely phone. Excellent, and in my eyes, nothing else can touch windows phones, an this is the king of them.