5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Budget PC
Published 3 months ago by The Nadin's

3.0 out of 5 stars Aftersales
Works Ok Windows 8 is a bit of a pain. Ability to expand internally seems incredibly difficult as there is no spare power lines. Wanted to put my old hard disk in to move files..couldn't. Wanted to fit my old creative card ...doesn't fit. Polite email sent asking for help. Ignored. Should have bought something from PC world.
I seriously think online purchasing,...
Published 1 month ago by RJS

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Budget PC, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Zoostorm 7877-0431 Home PC (Intel Core i5-4440 3.10GHz, 6MB Cache, 8GB RAM, 2TB SATA HDD, DVDRW, Windows 8.1) (Personal Computers)
We bought this i5 PC to replace a 6-year old Core2Duo desktop which had slowed to a crawl despite all efforts to clean it up and keep it going, including Win 7, RAM and graphics upgrade over the last couple of years. The constant hard-drive chuntering was driving us mad and (Not Responding) was happening all too often. Despite having Tablets and Laptops in the family, there is just no substitute for a good desktop for many tasks. Our thoughts are as follows:

Pros:

This machine is smooth a fast when navigating around Windows 8.1 and is a significant step up from our old PC, even when it was working properly. It is quiet, rarely accessing the hard drive when conducting office tasks or on the web. The graphics seem fast enough to meet our needs and we do not expect any issues with simple image processing. We also noticed that our backed up files transferred back from our external hard drive at 3 times the speed we had backed them up, even though both were just USB2.0.

Build:

The case is relatively good looking for a budget PC and is very light for its size. Looking through the vents, it has 2 good size but quiet fans inside (one on the Processor and one in the PSU). The 8GB RAM is in a single slot leaving one free for a future upgrade, something we will do when the price comes down a little. Also, there is more than enough space inside for additional internal drives and a graphics card but as we are not gamers then it may be sometime before we would consider this. The keyboard and mouse are very cheap looking but we just connected up our old ones from the start and this worked just fine.

Windows 8.1:

We had considered replacing the OS with Windows 7 but decided to persevere with Windows 8.1. Set up was very easy, although you must have a Windows Live account to get the most out of it. We made the best use of user accounts and the homegroup feature (I know these appear in 7 too) and had the whole thing set up in just a few hours. There are a few new things to learn, some tasks are not as easy as in Windows 7 but overall I think we will get used to it and even benefit from moving on up. The only issue we have experienced so far is that the keyboard number lock does not come on by default, but we will no doubt find a way around this in time.

Cons:

There is no storage card reader and nowhere to install one which is an unfortunate omission. We bought a cheap USB3.0 reader but also needed to buy an extension cable as the 2xUSB3.0 ports are on the back. The 2 on the front are USB2.0 but they would have been better at the bottom of the case, in our opinion. There is no HDMI out, although we do not require that just now. The whole thing is fairly large on the desk. For some reason the disk drive button is very hard to operate and you need to hold the case when it is pressed as the machine is so light.

Value for Money:

We bought this on the Boxing Day lightning deals for 379 and this made it excellent value for money. We had compared alternatives from other vendors and 470 to 600 was typical so even the standard Amazon price of 421 is competitive.

Recommend?

In summary, this PC does everything we need of it at an excellent price for the spec. I would highly recommend it for anyone in the market for a simple desktop PC or looking to build a gaming machine with the addition of a couple of extra components.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a Jet plane, 8 Jan 2014
It arrived well packed and timely. Other reviews from similar model indicated noisy. Well.. for me it's very quite and can't hear any noise.. nether could any family members it's & fast and supersonic!!. Well ventilated.

I'm fairly IT ok at work, but pleased it was very easy to set up. press boot in set up mode. All set up and ready to go.
I've had it about a week now on it every day busy and no worries.
I wouldn't hesitate very pleased customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable piece of kit, 10 Jan 2014
Good spec for the price. Running well so far after 3 weeks. I'm mainly using it for photo editing with photoshop CC and DxO Optics Pro both of which run well.

Only niggles are the power supply needs to be upgraded if you want to add a graphics card that requires additional power connections and the DVD drive flap catches when the caddy goes back in, at least it does on mine! A quick dab with the finger sorts that so I'll live with it.

So, 4 stars but nearly a 5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Aftersales, 2 Mar 2014
I seriously think online purchasing, though supposedly cheap, is not value for money any more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Fast Computer...For a Outstanding Price!, 13 Mar 2014
Considering and Comparing this computer with other well known brand was hard but after all a computer is made up of its components that are correctly allocated in this beautiful and stunning looking machine, with a sleek look to it and very well built. The same specs on a branded computer will cost you a good chunk of your wallet and might not give you the chance to just appreciate the savings you will or will about make...after purchasing this computer. The only concern that I had when purchasing this computer was that will it produce the same execution speed compared to a HP desktop with same specs. And the answer was...Yes it can.

As a App Developer for a variety of different platforms which includes: Android, Apple, Windows and Firefox. THIS COMPUTER IS PERFECT. Allowing me to programme apps under no hesitation or rendering problems when executing apps in a emulator or debugging it on to my phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a couple of niggles, 21 Feb 2014
Generally a good PC for the price purchased (on a deal of the day) however still haven't got the USB 3 connections in the back to work, so have put in a PCI card with an additional 5, also there is no card reader, a bit odd for a modern PC and given there is no space for an extra interface in the front leads you to needing a separate card reader. I have also put in my own graphics card but due to the size of the heatsink I can't use one of the 2 PCI expansion slots ( my bad I know hence still the 4 stars)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great P.C. For the price!, 4 Jan 2014
With extra 42 off in a lightening deal this looked a good buy, and so far it has not let me down, was a bit worried about some reviews about upgrades and power supply limitations as I knew I wanted to add an additional hard drive, I think most of those issues are on upgrading graphics cards. So anyway I added another 1TB and took it without any issue, just needed to enable the SATA port in the BIOS, of which on reboot it prompts you to do that anyway, although it did say another CPU had been added, that was a bit confusing at first. The only issue was there was not a spare SATA power cable , just the old White MOLEX (think the're called) type, but just purchased a MOLEX to SATA converter for 3 and sorted. this model has 2 x USB 3 ports on the back another plus. Would I have been happy paying the full price, possibly worth it for the configuration. It's very quiet ax well, but then it doesn't gave a chassis Fan, just a CPU fan, but plenty of room inside and doesn't seem to be getting hot, and I have it in a cupboard.

3.0 out of 5 stars Customer service?, 24 Feb 2014
Reb Ivri (London, England) - See all my reviews
A catalogue of issues so far:
On receipt of the PC, I found the DVD bay didn't open consistently. The Zoostorm technical support suggested I attempt to take the PC apart & slide forward the hard drive so that it makes better contact with the control.
I have regular PC speakers but they would play sound. After several calls & emails, I had to download various drivers & install them to get the speakers to work.
After about three weeks of use the hard drive died. When discussing this with a technical support representitive I was accused of damaging the PC. On complaining I did eventually receive an email apology.
I sent the PC back in it's original packaging & received it 'fixed' a few days later with scratches, a dent & a bent chassis.
I then sent the PC back again only to receive it back a few days later again with scratches, a very severe dent, and bent case screws. This time I didn't sign for it.
Zoostorm now have my PC which has been broken for longer than it has worked. Despite the very poor customer experience I've clearly endured, I've been told there will be no financial compensation whatsoever. I may get a game or flash drive as a goodwill gesture!

Also, Zoostorm will never return a call. I must have called them a dozen times by now & spent more than an hour speaking with them on their 0844 number.

** UPDATE **
Zoostorm have sent me a new PC which has been running for over a week & so far everything is perfect.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed., 9 April 2014
60 seconds to boot up
30 seconds to boot from sleep mode
60 seconds to access the internet via Internet Explorer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 30 Mar 2014
I am very pleased with this pc. It is quick and very quiet and has proved very reliable so far. The dvd open and close button is a bit hit and miss, but apart from that I have I have no other complaints.

ARRAY(0xad57cb7c)