5.0 out of 5 stars Kingston at its best
Firstly, this review is for the Kingston Technology 32GB DataTraveler G4 USB 3.0 Flash drive.
I've posted read/write speeds for both USB 2 and 3 in this review.

This is by far the best budget USB 3.0 flash drive I've purchased.
On USB 2.0 performance, well there's only one thing to say it's pretty much perfect considering the sequential write speed is...
Published 11 months ago by Blaser

3.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For
Having received criticism for my previous review of this product, I ran my CrystalDiskMark tests again using larger files. For comparison, I also re-ran the exact same test for my 32GB Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate G3. So, here are my revised results.
Published 19 months ago by Cully

3.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For, 11 Dec. 2013
For both drives I tested with a 4GB file, formatted it as NTFS, plugged into the same USB 3.0 slot, and disabled my Internet Security etc.

Kingston DataTraveler G4:
Read: 82.08MB
Write: 18.24MB
See the actual screenshot here- [...]

Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate G3:
Read: 189.4MB
Write: 90.12MB
See the actual screenshot here- [...]

So, while different people seem to get different results with their tests, I think this pretty clearly shows that it can only manage under half the read speed and about a fifth of the write speed of the more expensive Ultimate G3.
Aside from that, the build quality seems pretty solid to me, so I'm not unhappy with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fragile, plastic and short life, 22 Mar. 2014
I purchased this item around 2 months ago. Read and write speeds were disappointing but then it just stopped being recognized completely. Back it went and a replacement duly arrived. After two weeks my PC only recognizes the stick intermittently and the read and write speeds are still slow. Worst flash drive I have owned to be honest.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very fast., 6 Mar. 2014
This is not a fast drive...in some tests it ran the same speed as a USB 2.0 drive. Thats in a high end PC (with USB 3.0 ports) and a new USB 3.0 enabled laptop - both with SSDs. Its only barely worth keeping. If its speed you want then look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after just 2 weeks of use, 20 Mar. 2014
The plastic hook is flimsy and simply broke off within 2 weeks of use. I wasn't heavy handed with it. Now I can't attach it to anything and it is difficult to push the USB socket out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 17 April 2014
Not sure if I've got a faulty one but write speed averages a pitiful 11 Meg/s which is 1/3rd of the speed of my portable hard drive !
It gets surprisingly hot when transferring a lot of data too.

If it wasn't for the fact it's to back up data and therefore won't get regular use I'd return it

2.0 out of 5 stars 16GB Kingston DataTraveler G4, 31 Mar. 2014
G. Tzolovsky (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kingston Technology DataTraveler G4 USB 3.1 Gen 1/USB 3.0 Flash Drive - 16 GB (Personal Computers)
Nice design but drive is very slow. The write speed peaks at 10MB/sec which is 4 times slower than USB2.0 speeds.
Not a true USB 3.0 drive.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kingston 8GB USB 3.0 G4 DataTraveler Flash Drive, 21 Mar. 2014
I was attracted by the advertised USB3 and as I only have 1 USB3 flash drive (integral superspeed which writes at 48MB/s) and I required more drives for back-up purposes I bought 3 of these. The write speed is the same as USB2 (8.6MB/s) not what I was expecting. As an example I copied a 2GB file from my HDD on to the Integral drive and it took 45 seconds, the same file copied on to the Kingston took 4.5 mins. This drive should not be advertised as USB3 if it can not achieve the speeds.
On the plus side the drive does seem to be well made so should last and if speed/time is not important then this drive is fine but for a little more money a lot of time could have been saved.

1.0 out of 5 stars A slow drive, 5 May 2014
I bought this drive for its capacity and also for being USB 3.0 (fast).

It passed the first requirement but not the second as it is not faster than my other USB 2.0 drive when using a USB 3.0 socket on my Lenovo Thinkpad T420s laptop.

1.0 out of 5 stars USB 3 ... that's a joke right? 6.4 MB/s isn't USB 3, 23 Oct. 2014
Please don't buy this - it's junk. Write speeds are about 6.4 MB/s on a good day. Read speeds much much quicker, but who cares about those if the writing is so darn slow. I tried reformatting to NTFS and it just started playing up, which means its FAT32 or nothing, which therefore also means no large files on it. Waste of money. I have old USB 2 sticks which are much faster.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from this inferior product, 24 April 2015
Frankly I bought this product in December of 2014 to use as a large size portable storage device when I travel, but also to store pictures and sensitive data. This is the worst product I have ever owned. The read/write speeds are nowhere near USB 3.0, the disk gets very hot when inserted into the USB port, and on top of that it completely crashed on me causing me to lose very important data that I can now not recover. One might say you should never backup to less than two places at once. That's true, however, I was on the move and needed to format my laptop - this drive was the only thing I had on hand. I tried recovering my files, but very few were recovered and on top of that I tried to use it again. Using it again has yielded the same conclusion - that this drive is inferior to any drive I have ever used in my life and would not be recommending it to anyone. The drive crashes time and time again, and on top of that is not visible by any operating system (Mac OS, or Windows). Of course I will not be returning this drive, as no matter how many times I format it I will never feel safe knowing that some sensitive data may be recovered - so I will just take a hit on this item despite having paid almost £40. All my other portable disks are Western Digital, not having missed a beat in years. I also own two Sandisk flash drives. I think you can't go wrong with those.