5.0 out of 5 stars Kingston at its best
Firstly, this review is for the Kingston Technology 32GB DataTraveler G4 USB 3.0 Flash drive.
I've posted read/write speeds for both USB 2 and 3 in this review.

This is by far the best budget USB 3.0 flash drive I've purchased.
On USB 2.0 performance, well there's only one thing to say it's pretty much perfect considering the sequential write speed is...
Published 1 month ago by Blaser

3.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For
Having received criticism for my previous review of this product, I ran my CrystalDiskMark tests again using larger files. For comparison, I also re-ran the exact same test for my 32GB Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate G3. So, here are my revised results.
Published 8 months ago by Cully

3.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For, 11 Dec 2013
For both drives I tested with a 4GB file, formatted it as NTFS, plugged into the same USB 3.0 slot, and disabled my Internet Security etc.

Kingston DataTraveler G4:
Read: 82.08MB
Write: 18.24MB
See the actual screenshot here- [...]

Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate G3:
Read: 189.4MB
Write: 90.12MB
See the actual screenshot here- [...]

So, while different people seem to get different results with their tests, I think this pretty clearly shows that it can only manage under half the read speed and about a fifth of the write speed of the more expensive Ultimate G3.
Aside from that, the build quality seems pretty solid to me, so I'm not unhappy with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fragile, plastic and short life, 22 Mar 2014
I purchased this item around 2 months ago. Read and write speeds were disappointing but then it just stopped being recognized completely. Back it went and a replacement duly arrived. After two weeks my PC only recognizes the stick intermittently and the read and write speeds are still slow. Worst flash drive I have owned to be honest.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kingston 8GB USB 3.0 G4 DataTraveler Flash Drive, 21 Mar 2014
I was attracted by the advertised USB3 and as I only have 1 USB3 flash drive (integral superspeed which writes at 48MB/s) and I required more drives for back-up purposes I bought 3 of these. The write speed is the same as USB2 (8.6MB/s) not what I was expecting. As an example I copied a 2GB file from my HDD on to the Integral drive and it took 45 seconds, the same file copied on to the Kingston took 4.5 mins. This drive should not be advertised as USB3 if it can not achieve the speeds.
On the plus side the drive does seem to be well made so should last and if speed/time is not important then this drive is fine but for a little more money a lot of time could have been saved.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very fast., 6 Mar 2014
This is not a fast drive...in some tests it ran the same speed as a USB 2.0 drive. Thats in a high end PC (with USB 3.0 ports) and a new USB 3.0 enabled laptop - both with SSDs. Its only barely worth keeping. If its speed you want then look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 17 April 2014
Not sure if I've got a faulty one but write speed averages a pitiful 11 Meg/s which is 1/3rd of the speed of my portable hard drive !
It gets surprisingly hot when transferring a lot of data too.

If it wasn't for the fact it's to back up data and therefore won't get regular use I'd return it

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after just 2 weeks of use, 20 Mar 2014
The plastic hook is flimsy and simply broke off within 2 weeks of use. I wasn't heavy handed with it. Now I can't attach it to anything and it is difficult to push the USB socket out.

2.0 out of 5 stars 16GB Kingston DataTraveler G4, 31 Mar 2014
G. Tzolovsky (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kingston 16GB USB 3.0 G4 DataTraveler Flash Drive (Personal Computers)
Nice design but drive is very slow. The write speed peaks at 10MB/sec which is 4 times slower than USB2.0 speeds.
Not a true USB 3.0 drive.

1.0 out of 5 stars A slow drive, 5 May 2014
I bought this drive for its capacity and also for being USB 3.0 (fast).

It passed the first requirement but not the second as it is not faster than my other USB 2.0 drive when using a USB 3.0 socket on my Lenovo Thinkpad T420s laptop.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Quick, 8 Feb 2014
This pen drive came formatted in fat 32 so had to re-format the drive to ntfs. The drive is very slow for a usb 3 drive. most usb3 drives I have write files at an average of 80mgb - 120mgb per sec this has a top speed of 40mgb per sec. May as well bought a usb2 drive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Slow for USB3.0, 29 Jun 2014
I have a number of these Kingston Data Traveller flash drives in 16Gb and 32GB. They do seem reasonably priced for USB3.0, but I would definitely agree with other comments about slow transfer speeds.

I did get up to 39MBps when using the flash drive in a USB3.0 port and transferring from my hard drive but any transferring across my own network was very poor.

If the speed is not an issue for you then they are perfectly adequate for storage at a reasonable price and after some 4 months of regular use are still fine. I use them to hold movies for the kids that I attach to a HooToo device and the movies stream perfectly. So it really is only the uploading speed that is the problem. If there was a 3.5 star grade then I would select that. Better than 3 but not good enough for a 4 star.