4.0 out of 5 stars Loved Logan and Calla!, 21 Nov 2013
The Demon Librarian (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Soul Resurrected (Sons of Wrath, Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I confess, I enjoyed this book quite a bit more than the first. I just enjoyed the heck out of both main characters - Logan with his tormented brooding, shameful secrets and distrust of all women. Timid Calla with her recent betrayals, grief over her brother's death and a fierce lioness side just dying to come to the surface (that's a figurative lioness, FYI - you never can tell with these paranormal books!). I found both MCs to be very easy to engage with, and their chemistry was fantastic. This was a seriously scorching book in places!

As with the last book, Soul Avenged, there was a fair bit of setting up and establishing of players before the romance really kicked into gear, but I found it a lot less overwhelming this time since I'm now familiar with the supernatural races Lake has conjured, and the terminology for them. This delayed start also eliminated any hint of the dreaded Instalove that is found in so many Paranormal Romance books. In fact, I was practically salivating for them to begin with the love stuff already! Except, there was just one obstacle to that particular four-letter word - Logan.

Yes, Logan, Logan, Logan... He's delicious to look at, for sure, but a bit of an arrogant pig at the beginning of Soul Resurrected, it has to be said. I mean, Calla saved his life at the end of Soul Avenged! But do you think that earns her a thank you or even a bit of civility? No! Not even close! He's furious with her for, well, everything. Existing, mostly. Then for confusing his feelings and upsetting his carefully constructed Wall Of No Feeling. Heh, heh. I love watching the big grumpy, growly ones get kicked into submission by their females in these type of stories. So much fun!

I really loved Calla too. She was somewhat delicate when compared to Ayden from book one, and has been quite mistreated in her life which has left her with that "kicked puppy" look, but she also had such spirit and determination when it counted and was everything Logan needed. Even if it took him a while to figure it out!

The plot itself was pretty well-paced and held my attention throughout, although I do think these books are a tad over long. Perhaps I only think that because I have a review list as long as my arm and anything over 400 pages seems like a whopper, but I do think they could be tightened up a tiny touch. I'm very interested in seeing the ongoing developments in Lake's overarching background plot, however, and can't wait to see who the next couple will be! My vote is for the oldest Wrath brother, Gavin, and his new debt holder!

4 Stars ★★★★
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Soul Resurrected, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Soul Resurrected (Sons of Wrath, Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I got a copy in exchange for an honest review

It took me quite some time to read this book, I don't often read books that are as long as this one. This book is darker than the first book, continues the story and makes me want to read even more and learn more about this dark and twisted world.

When I picked up this book I was a bit disapointed I didn't have time to re-read book1, because book 2 picks up right after Soul Avenged ended and continues the story only from slightly different perspectives. This book focusses on Calla and Logan, but there are also other point of views and they kept me wondering who's story would be next, because there is so much going on and there is a lot of set-up for future books too. A lot happens in this book, not only because it's so long, but also because a lot of different things are going on and sometimes it was difficult to see how it all connected and some things only connect at the end of the book and some questions are still there, hoping for answers in future books.

I realy liked Soul Resurrected, I really love Keri her writing style and once I picked it up I wanted to keep reading. Nevertheless this book had some slow moments and sometimes I got a bit frustrated because I couldn't see the significane (yet) of some of the things that happened. From the 50% mark the pace picked really up and I read the last half in 2 or 3 days, while I spend around 7 or 8 days reading the first half. Also Keri knows how to write some great sex scenes. This book is dark and violent and contains some disturbing scenes and some gruesome details I preferred to not have read, but in the end it's also about hope and love. I really liked the ending, it was beautifull and certainly not what I would've expected at the begin of this book.

While I hard this book would be about Logan and Calla I had some of my doubt, I couldn't remember much about Logan from the first book and Calla was only a side character in book 1 and I had hoped this book would be about Gavin, because I am really curious to his story. When I started this book I had no idea how Logan and Calla would ever fall in love, Logan comes over as selfish and even a bit evil and crazy at first and I didn't like him at all. Calla was sweet, but also had her tough side and I actually wanted to wanr her away from Logan and hope she find some good guy somewhere else. Both characters really grew during this book. I had read a review before this which mentioned the character growth, but I hadn't imagined this. Due to the lenght of this book their relationship progresses slowly and also the changes are slowly, but at the end leaves you with 2 characters who developed and grew a lot. That's certainly one of the perks of a long book, their relationship developed believeable and slow. They grew and changed and it all feels real.

Keri has created an awesome and wholesome world in this series and I just keep wanting to learn more and more and the snippets world building whoven throughout the story aren't nearly enough for me. I think this world is fascinating and I want to understand how it all works and how some storylines tie together and what the impact is of some things and I just want to know more. This book certainly answers a lot of my questions about the demons and it was great seeing this story from a demon's point of view and getting a more insider view on all things demon and supernatural. So this book in all adds a lot of world building, but I am still hungry for more.

After reading this book I am still left with a lot of questions and when I saw the mention that the next book wil Gavin's book I am already looking forward to that one. Also there are so many things and storylines and plots set up in this book and I want to know how they all continue and develop.

To conclude: I really enjoyed this book, keri sure knows how to write a great book. The first half felt a bit slow to me, partly due to not re-reading the first book which led to some confusion at the beginning and partly because this book is really long and the second half was paced faster. Also there are a lot of plot lines which not make much sense at the beginning, but later on things come together and start making sense more. I liked how Calla and Logan grew and developed in this book and how at the end I really liked both of them, which at the beginning I wouldn't have imagined. The world building is really well done and this book adds a lot from the demon perspective, although I am still hngry for more. All in all I really enjoyed this book (although I recommend you to(re-)read book 1 before starting this one) and I am realy looking forward to the next book.

ARRAY(0xab56f594)