4.0 out of 5 stars Good beginner/intermediate book for modo
Published 8 months ago by sandro bovelli

I bought this hoping for indepth explanations of the tools. Specifically unwrapping and some more advanced features. I was disappointed.

Published 6 months ago by T D Heath

3.0 out of 5 stars I bought this hoping for indepth explanations of the tools. I was disappointed., 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Building 3D Models with modo 701 (Kindle Edition)

Dont get me wrong the book is useful for the fundamentals but not much else. If you are just starting with Modo its worth a look but if you want to get to grips with the more powerful modo capabilities and need a guide. This isn't it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good beginner/intermediate book for modo, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Building 3D Models with modo 701 (Kindle Edition)
If you are somewhat new to modo 3D modeling, texturing, lighting, and rendering.... this IS your book. Juan Jimenez Garcia gets you introduced to the differences in 3D with modo in a very clear and painless way. I have not had any problems with the book quality, and in fact the book is extremely well done. If I had any complaints, they would be about wanting a second, more detailed book on more advanced techniques and a deep look to some of the unique modo's tools like action center, falloff, retopology and sculpt. Once you learn the foundations of how to use modo effectively with this book, you'll be craving to get the photo-realistic renders that only modo can provide! I can't recommend a better way to start off with modo and the world of 3D!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 19 July 2014
Great book for beginners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title, good to new users who needs printed manual, 6 Jan 2014
This is welcomed addition in my opinion, as there's not much books at the moment dealing with latest version of MODO(Last one I bought was Wes McDermott book- I think it was during 401 times....)

Let me start with the title of this book "Building 3D Models with Modo 701", I cannot help but wonder why is it called like that since the book itself got little to do with well "Building 3D models" - I discussed this also with the author of the book and it seems that it was Packt decision to go with this title. Personally I would go with something like "The Foundry's MODO701 : Introduction" - there's was quite a few people that agreed with me on this.

Anyway, you could divide this book into two sections, first section is the "introduction to MODO" where you will be introduced to the navigation, tools and UI part of Modo, section 2 is about post-processing in PS - if you're "well-seasoned" artist, chances are you won't find anything interesting there, but if you're a beginner there might be few tricks that could speed up your workflow.

Conclusion is, this book is aimed at the beginners and new users migrating from other software, you won't get any advanced techniques or tips/tricks, it's similar info to the one you can find in MODO's online manual, just not that extensive - There's a huge chance that you will be referring to the online manual and The Foundry's forums constantly for specific answers on subjects that were not discussed in this book or not discussed in fully.

So, if you're new to MODO and would like to have some printed manual at hand I would say this book will be a good investment.
Cannot wait for other MODO's titles that Packt Publishing be offering in the future.

Four stars because of the title.

Best,