OtterBox Defender Case for Apple iPad Mini Retina Display - Black
Colour Name: BlackChange
Price:£42.54+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 2 April 2014
Awesome bit of kit. My 15 month old daughter is a bit of a technophile and has destroyed both mine and my wife's 'indestructible" cases. The built in screen protector is the mutts nuts and let's face it, if you spend 400 notes on an iPad your not going to worry about a few extra to protect it. If I had a gripe, it would be with the "cover/base". The hard cover which, when removed, acts as a base/stand for your iPad. A flip stand inside the cover enables you to stand your iPad up. It has 2 angles which I've found are both handy. My gripe is that you just 'lean' the iPad in place. It would be good if they can have a mechanism where you can clip the iPad to the base. Not a problem for most people but if your looking for something on tinternet then have to move for some reason, you pick up the iPad but the base(front cover) stays put. Just annoying to have to pickup the iPad and then the base, especially if you have one hand occupied with a 15 month old. I would suggest ANYONE with an iPad get one of these if you a) have kids. b) travel a lot c) a+b? don't get one of these if you want dust proof or water proof. These are water resistant which means drops of liquid. You throw your iPad in the river with one of these on and it's going to die... On the bright side, the case will survive ;)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a replacement for my last Otterbox which lasted for just over a year before the rubber outer stretched too much. It has been subject to some heavy abuse as I use it for work and unlike some I am not desk bound. My iPad Mini travelled over 18,000 miles in the last year, rain or shine, snow and sun.

I took the old Otterbox cover off (incidentally it was for the Mini without retina but it fitted anyway) and when the iPad was released from its prison it was immaculate and without a blemish. I'd point out that it had dropped to the floor on two occasions.

It was immediately encased n the new cover, just in time for my 9 year old to grab it and play Minecraft.

The only part of the Otterbox I do not like is the screen protector, it just does not have that tactile feel to it and oil slicking is sometimes a problem. I removed the built in screen protector and placed a much more tactile Spigen Crystal on the screen instead. Now it feels almost like the original screen and optically is is very good. I know that it makes the screen area less 'water resistant' but the fit is tight and no dirt or debris appeared to get underneath and into the case.

The Otterbox is definately one of the best cases, I have a collection I have tried from several competitors and still I stay with Otterbox. They might want to modify the silicone rubber outer to stop it stretching but I can't really complain that much, it has been worked hard.

I trust the product to protect the iPad Mini, I have also got one on my iPhone and on the family iPad and iPod. Gosh I sound like an Apple fanbois don't I. Still all the devices are in perfect condition.

My wife gets my iPhone hand me downs when I upgrade and they are always immaculate. If you were to use one of these and sell on your old phone afterwards to finance a new one you would get the best resale price for it.

Highly recommended as I have found nothing better
on 19 June 2014
As a business person using my iPad all day every day I need to keep it safe.

I can drop it, splash it and generally be clumsy with is and my iPad is safe. It has fallen downstairs too, still in perfect order.
on 7 May 2015
Quick review after getting the case and installing it this morning:

PROS:
1) Installation is super easy due to the excellent description which comes with the case. It literally just took me 5 minutes to install the case.
2) Great protection of your iPad Mini/iPad Mini Retina.
3) Screen is just as responsive as without the Defender case on. It feels different to touch, but you quickly get used to it.
4) The stand works great and is very useful. You won't need to buy any extra stand.
5) Otterbox customer service gave good and quick response to some questions I had.
6) You can put on the cover without the iPad Mini turns off and thus protect the iPad Mini completely while it's still turned on and i.e. doing a screen cast to your TV with Chromecast.

CONS:
1) Buttons like Home and on/off have to be pressed rather hard to make them work now that they are covered with protective rubber.
Workaround: Turn on AssistiveTouch, however you still have a problem when you want to turn on the iPad. You can plug in the charging cable to turn on the device without using any button, but that quickly gets cumbersome. My solution: Lift up the rubber cover a bit so it doesn't cover the Home button. It's still a bit difficult to get to, but it's workable. I then use AssistiveTouch to turn off the device. Lifting up the protective rubber like this of course makes the iPad a little more vulnerable, but it will have to do.
2) Speaker output is not covered so if you accidentially knock over a cup of coffee while the iPad is lying on the table, you may get liquid into the speakers if you're unlucky. OTOH if the speakers had in fact been covered, maybe audio output would have sounded muted, so maybe it's a good thing after all that they're not.
3) The case is pricey, but then again: You get what you pay for.
4) The iPad Mini gets a bit too heavy for my taste with the Defender case installed. "Naked" weight for the iPad Mini 2 WiFi is 331 g. - with the case installed, weight grows to 538 g. That's something you will definitely notice when lifting up the iPad. Fully covered with the Defender case both back and front, the total weight is 654 g. OTOH good protection probably does not come without added weight.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase, but I'll only reward it with 4 stars because the buttons are so hard to push now.
on 21 September 2014
Certainly a very good case for protecting the iPad mini but makes ipad look a bit like a child's toy; very plasticky. It gets 4 for looks only otherwise would be 5 - it's very functional and looks it. The hard grey cover and stand is large and rather clunky. There seems to be a gap in the market for ipad mini cases that are both strong, with a screenguard, and look good.
on 21 March 2014
I bought this case together with the equivalent Otterbox 5s Case. As I had had an Otterbox case protecting my old iPhone 4 and liked the protection it gave it.

I got this for my new iPad Mini with Retina display as I wanted something that gave maximum rotection.

Firstly the initial (inner) case is hard to put on, there is no doubt about this. But the best way to learn how to do it properly is watch the Otterbox "How to" videos on You Tube.

I have kids who often use my iPad to play games so would really recommend this case as it protects well if they drop it.

I have used it for the last month and am very happy with the product and think it is generally good value for money.

One minor gripe! The case covers the Home button well, but sometimes can be fiddly when you try to press it!
on 5 June 2015
I originally had concerns that this item was counterfeit although bought from Amazon - the logo on the back is in sans-serif font and does not match the Otterbox logo shown in the picture on this page and found on other sites. In addition, this case has a cutout for the Apple logo whereas the one pictured does not. Upon further research, however, I discovered that the case I received is the iPad mini 3 defender - SKU:77-50972 on Otterbox's website. It appears that Amazon have not updated their product page.

Other than that, the only other issue is that the screen protector does suffer from "oil-slicking", which is somewhat annoying on a Retina iPad. Otterbox say this can be solved with a very fine dusting of baby powder.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
not tested fully yet but seems to do the job robust in construction my daughter has one for her tablet and it has survived being dropped onto a tiled floor and two under 3 year olds - so it would probably withstand a war zone
on 7 February 2015
Received my otter box. It fits perfectly, also makes the iPad mini more grip able. Have already one for my iPhone which is on its way out and will buy another one for it. It lasted for the iPhone about two years everyday use, countless drops and bangs, although the silicon rubber came of the iPhone cover after four weeks, however, i still used without it. Brilliant bit of kit! Would buy this one again. Delivery quick, professional service Amazon as Amazon should be. Thank you!
on 15 October 2014
This case is worth its weight in gold... Highly recommend this if you have young children or are just clumsy