4.3 out of 5 stars1,331

on 6 January 2016
Gosh, what a good story! I bought this because it was on offer and then forgot about it and didn't read it for a year. I am so glad I remembered it! It's a brilliant and intense psychological thriller, well paced and always dropping just enough teasers to make you want to read on. I'm glad it was British too, easier to relate to. Would definitely recommend.
on 15 September 2015
Really enjoyed this book an also The Lie. Waiting for the next one now. It's really good to find an author who can keep up the interest in the story all the way through. C.L,Taylor does this, writing a chapter from the past and a chapter from the present or very recent past so that an understanding of the characters builds up. There is a lot of suspense and I was up late reading to the end.
on 26 April 2014
I picked this up one Saturday morning, thinking I'd read the first couple of chapters and then get on with the day. I was still there on the sofa when the sun went down, having found myself utterly engrossed by Taylor's brilliantly-drawn characters and compelling storytelling.

It's Taylor's clever plotting that keeps you turning the pages. She skilfully intersperses the present-day story with flashbacks to Susan's younger years, spinning out the mystery in each storyline so that you want to read just one more chapter. And then another, and another...

Though it's the plot that pulls you through the book, it's her central character that keeps you involved. Susan Jackson is the heart of the book, a prickly and paranoid woman to whom you gradually warm as you realise how she came to be this way. As the book reaches its tense climax, you'll be rooting for her as if she were an old friend.
on 11 June 2014
This is not my usually kind of book to read, I had been taken out of my comfort zone. The Accident is all about Sue Jackson and her Family and they have been thrown in to chaos when her Daughter Charlotte (15) walks in front of a bus that was done on purpose. The results are that Charlotte is in a coma. Sue believes this was not an accident. Sue reads Charlottes diary, which is where Charlotte confessed to having a secret. (oh my did she) Sue starts to retrace her daughter’s steps and finds a horrifying entry within the diary as sue goes deeper into charlotte’s private world.

Sue goes in her hunt for evidence, and she starts to mistrust everyone close to her daughter. We also go into Sue’s past life that was scary and horrific (not going into detail as I don’t want to give the plot away). In truth, there is a lot that Sue doesn’t know about Charlotte’s life. But there’s a lot that Charlotte doesn’t know about Sue’s. There is a nasty character in this story, the buildup of all the nasty things this character has done was a exciting part of the story, as is finding out about Charlotte and her character. She seems like the perfect student but like most teenagers, there’s more to Charlotte than what meets the eye.

As the events unfold it becomes so unbelievable and yet entirely believable based on what you already know about the characters and what's gone on before, I was hooked but not a wow factor for me but in the end was a really good read.
Sue Jackson's daughter, Charlotte, walked in front of a bus and is now in a coma. Sue's husband, Brian, believes it was an accident but Sue thinks there is more to it than that and sets to trying to find out what really happened. Sue has demons in her own past which she also has to deal with.

The story is told by Sue which really helps to ramp up the tension in this novel as she desperately tries to get to the truth, and there are diary entries from 20 years earlier which tell the reader what Sue had to deal with in her past.

The Accident is a fantastic psychological thriller which I read in 2 days. I raced through the last half, unable to put it down as the sense of foreboding grew.

This is such a good debut novel which I found exciting to read and I think the author has a good career ahead of her.

Thank you to the publishers and Netgalley for allowing me to review this book.
Forty-three year old Susan Jackson, a domestic abuse survivor, is the wife of an MP and has a fifteen year old daughter, Charlotte, in a coma. The eyewitness accounts suggest that Charlotte deliberately stepped out in front of a bus. Susan finds Charlotte's diary, which raises more questions about her daughter's state of mind rather than provide answers to what Charlotte was thinking. Susan soon realises that she knows very little about what was going on in Charlotte's life and is determined to get to the bottom of what actually took place on the day of the accident.

I really enjoyed this suspense mystery thriller, it was easy to read and hard to put down as each chapter unravelled Susan's discoveries about her daughter and the horrors she experienced in her past alternately. This alternation kept me at the edge if my seat in both scenarios, each chapter ending on a cliff-hanger. The characterisations were compelling and I really did like Susan despite her flaws.

The only minor issues that hugged me was some of the primary and secondary care medicine. I'm not sure what Susan's GP prescribed her but whatever it was a follow up in 6 weeks under the circumstances was negligent in my opinion. Also a monitored patient in a side room with an out of working order call button for days? I know the NHS has it's faults but I pray this never happens but I appreciate the old adage of never say never.

Overall a very readable and enjoyable suspense and mystery thriller from a new author, I do recommend this read very much.
on 26 May 2014
An innocent youthful relationship turns abusive, 20 years on the victims family falls apart slowly after her daughter suffers a serious accident! The victim, now a wife and mother desperately searches for answers to her daughters secrets, whilst her family start to believe she's only just clinging onto her mental health.
An enjoyable read, but the ending seemed rushed from traumatic climax, to calm, in the real world with the characters involved I'm sure the impact and implications would of been more substantial.
on 4 June 2014
This is a wonderful exploration into motherhood, marriage, mental illness with a touch of psychological thriller thrown in. Sue’s daughter has fallen/walked in front of a bus and is in a coma. After discovering reference to a ‘secret’ in Charlotte’s diary Sue sets off on a mission to discover what was really going through her daughter’s mind in the days before the ‘accident’.
To begin with I found Sue a character to be pitied, she seems weak and prone to paranoia. However as the story progresses, interspersed with Sue’s younger voice recounting her relationship with James, my opinion of her changed dramatically. She’s unable to share her thoughts with anyone close due to previous mental health issues, even her loving husband thinks she may be regressing back to her old ways. Despite everything being stacked against her she persists in trying to unravel the mystery of her daughter’s condition (Even venturing into a trendy nightclub a scary thought indeed for most 40 somethings!)
I won’t give the ending away suffice to say the book does not let up the tension until the end and it’s a lesson to all mothers of teenage girls that what you think is the worst thing you could discover about them, doesn’t even come close.
A great read and I look forward to more from this author.
on 14 May 2014
This book was amazing. I don't like mystery books as such but I LOVED this book. I couldn't put it down. Well worth the price, and has recommended it to everyone I know!
on 22 May 2014
A would sum this book up as one that you would find difficult to put down, good storyline, and well drawn out characters. The plot keeps you guessing right to the end.