5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic and gripping
Published 19 days ago by miss charlotte taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars A Pacy Thriller
The book has a good opening. A young girl is in a hospital bed; she’s in a coma. She has apparently stepped into the path of a bus, and no one knows why.

The narrative swings queasily back and forth between the present and the narrator’s past, with her weird unhinged boyfriend. (He turns out to have been far more than unhinged).

Susan,...
Published 5 days ago by P. Kendell

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic and gripping, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: THE ACCIDENT (Paperback)
I bought this book as I was struggling to sleep and I thought having something to read a few pages of every night would ease me into a peaceful slumber, well I've had the book 3 days and I've read the whole thing. I could not put it down and after reading 3-4 chapters for 2 nights caved and read the rest today. This book is really well written in my opinion, it draws you in to the characters personalities from the first page, keeps you wanting to know more. I think it it portrays how one can be mentally manipulated so easily despite being strong and of sane mind. I will definitely be reading more from this author as I love her writing style, not to wordy but yet enough description to draw you in. I am very hard to please with books, if it isn't good from the start I struggle to get through the first few pages and it gathers dust somewhere. My only issue is now I have nothing to help me wind down for a good nights sleep

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath taking!, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: THE ACCIDENT (Kindle Edition)
When I started this book I didn't know what to expect, as I hadn't read a blurb or a review prior to reading...for a little while I was a bit lost, I hadn't put two and two together relating to the two different stories, and then when the penny dropped it was like a light bulb moment!

The last ten chapters I read on the train on the way into work and several times I audibly gasped!!!

A brilliant, brilliant book! Can't recommend it enough!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Pacy Thriller, 12 Sep 2014
P. Kendell (Wokingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: THE ACCIDENT (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Susan, the narrator, sets off to solve the mystery, but when we find out that she has had ‘episodes’ (of what, we are not quite sure to begin with), we wonder whether she is the right person to be acting as a detective. Gradually we discover that she has previously suffered a mental health problem caused by the abusive ex-boyfriend. Because of this, as in a nightmare, no one believes anything she says, resourceful and determined as she is. It is reminiscent of Sophie Hannah’s Little Face in this respect.

However, the narrative is simply too eventful, and there are too many occasions when Susan thinks she has solved the mystery….but she’s made a mistake…and again, no one believes her and she is more or less forced to take medication.

The novel certainly races along and takes the reader with it. Parts of it are implausible and it isn't Barbara Vine, but it’s a goodish read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing!, 28 April 2014
This review is from: THE ACCIDENT (Kindle Edition)
Where do I start with this book? The synopsis really interested me, and once I started it, I literally could not put this down. The writing instantly grips you, you get sucked into the mystery. This book reminded me of 'Before I go to Sleep' by S J Watson, another book which I love, I hope 'The Accident' gets as much recognition as that one.

The story focuses on Sue's search to answer the question of why Charlotte felt so bad that she stepped out in front of a bus. The writing is absolutely superb, all the characters were great, especially Sue, you really get how she is feeling, and the rationale behind her thoughts.

Intertwined with this, are the journal entries from Sue 20 years ago, which talks about her relationship with James, and helps you understand why Sue is reacting the way she is to her current crisis. Due to this, I found myself constantly questioning if some of Sue's thoughts were just paranoia due to her past, or if she is understanding everything perfectly, when those around her don't. C L Taylor keeps you guessing, and I love it.

This book is just, simply amazing. One of my absolute favourites of all time. OK, I'll stop gushing now, just go buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very absorbing tale!, 29 July 2014
This review is from: THE ACCIDENT (Paperback)
I knew I'd like this novel from the moment I read the blurb, it was my kind of read and it didn't disappoint.

Sue's story, past and present, is cleverly weaved through alternate chapters. I warmed to the protagonist immediately. She felt very real and three dimensional. I could see that she'd been through a lot and was intrigued to find out more about her past and how she'd resolve the mystery of her comatose daughter's accident.

I found the plot very engaging, and I enjoyed the twists and tenterhook moments at the end of most chapters. Although the book did have a couple of humorous moments, it's essentially a psychological thriller.

This novel was recommended to me by a friend on Facebook. It's my first Cally Taylor read and it certainly won't be my last. Quite possibly one of the best books I've read this year. I really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: THE ACCIDENT (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't put this down. Very well written and weaves two stories together throughout the book. Looking forward to the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars a gripping story, 29 May 2014
Andrew Fawcett "andrewravesax" (glamorgan, wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: THE ACCIDENT (Kindle Edition)
the book develops very well, as the writer sees into her daughter's life, and how her past has affected it.

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought I knew the guy she based this on!, 28 May 2014
L. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: THE ACCIDENT (Kindle Edition)
Spookily like a person I used to know that put a friend through hell. I have been a victim of domestic violence and felt that the lady that wrote this was writing from experience. A gripping and emotional book with very believable characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 May 2014
This review is from: THE ACCIDENT (Kindle Edition)
An innocent youthful relationship turns abusive, 20 years on the victims family falls apart slowly after her daughter suffers a serious accident! The victim, now a wife and mother desperately searches for answers to her daughters secrets, whilst her family start to believe she's only just clinging onto her mental health.
An enjoyable read, but the ending seemed rushed from traumatic climax, to calm, in the real world with the characters involved I'm sure the impact and implications would of been more substantial.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very convincing, 25 May 2014
This review is from: THE ACCIDENT (Kindle Edition)
Well written story as others have said it has you hooked from the beginning. I loved that I thought I had guessed it but was wrong !

THE ACCIDENT