on 22 January 2016
Therianthropy Book 2 in the Paradox Child series by J Yates

The story of Lilly and her mother Rose and their time travelling adventures and daily life continues on and a few of the mysteries in the first book have been revealed.

J Yates has a unique writing style of describing Lilly’s and Rose’s life and I have grown quite fond of it. There are still a few grammatical errors in the pages, though this doesn’t seem to affect the curiosity of the story or where it’s leading too.

I very much enjoy J Yates reference to places of interest and towns Lilly and Rose have visited and would like to go back and visit those places I have already been too, to see it through Lilly’s and Roses eyes and Gardenstown sounds like a wonderful place to visit as well. The spells and recipes that are also done in the book sound great as well, and I for one would like to try the microwave cake!

The mystery of the Crow men and missing children who turn up with no memory are still unanswered along with a few more sceptical characters that may or may not have more than meets the eye.

I will certainly be reading the third book ‘Original Destination’ to find out what happens.
on 25 March 2014
Thanks again to Jane for allowing me to have a copy of Therianthropy in exchange for review!. Therianthropy is the sequel to Jane’s first novel Paradox Child which I’ve reviewed earlier on the site.
Lily is a child who lives with a magical family, and a family who are able to time travel using the machine hidden under the Pitt Rivers museum, Therianthropy continues from where Paradox child left off going straight back to Lily and following her and her mum as they continue their time travel. This time Yates has added shape shifting in to the story and there seems to be much more magic featured in this book.
We continue following Lily as she time travels and makes growing bonds with the past, while also coming to terms with the losses from the first book. Interestingly we also get a look at the thoughts of her dog Mandy too, as well as seeing more of the past and Pitt Rivers himself.
This book again is so easy to read that I was able to finish it within a few hours and it makes an excellent read for my train journey into work. My only criticism is that it would have been good to have a reminder of some of the things that happened in the first book to refresh readers memories, but that’s just a minor thing.
Again credit to Jane, and I hope you can all give this book a read!
on 22 August 2015