on 3 January 2014
I am enjoying the style of this book and its use of explanations plus worked examples but as with all text books on engineering watch out for mistakes. On location 634 at 38% there are numbers which are wrong viz: 24 x 6 =114, instead of 144. This mistake carries on to the next part of the example so is unlikely to be a typo. But overall it is good in my opinion, though not 5 stars
on 20 October 2014
Not being very mathematical I found this book unbelieveable .I could understand a lot more than I have ever thought possible .Very well done .
on 27 January 2014
Very good idea to involve people more in maths/physics/engineering by demonstrating the power of even relatively simple equations but I agree with the reviewer who expresses disappointment at the lack of standard notation. I understand it can be intimidating for some but having both a standard notation representation as well as the sort of text based arithmetic notation used would show readers the advantages of more formal presentations without losing clarity.

There are also a few mistakes, one of which in particular is glaring enough to have me question the accuracy of everything else. In the section on gravity where the author mentions how the force due to gravity falls off with the square of the distance from its source (true) he then goes on to say, after a quick demonstration calculation, that this explains why astronauts are "basically weightless". This is at best misleading and at worst quite wrongheaded since for every astronaut since the Apollo program ended a lower effect of gravity is emphatically NOT why they don't feel their weight (the real explanation for apparent weightlessness is that, despite falling towards the Earth almost as quickly as they would if falling from a building, the astronaut is travelling quickly enough across the planet's surface that they effectively keep missing it because the Earth itself curves away underneath them. This is why "weightlessness" is more accurately known as "free-fall" since the astronaut, the space station and everything in it are constantly falling freely towards Earth at the same speed). It applies to the Apollo astronauts because they went all the way to the Moon, around 384,000 km away, but astronauts today on the ISS or during shuttle missions spend their time in space at around 400 km from the surface, where the force due to gravity is only around 10% less than it is for the rest of us.

That said, the great thing about eBooks is they can be updated to fix mistakes so none of the problems outlined are insurmountable and to re-iterate, it's a very good idea in principle.

UPDATE: The author has already noted the mistake and intends to fix it within a few days so 4 stars seems fairer.
55 comments5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 October 2014
Found this to be very useful to jog the memory about science and engineering that I used to know in my younger days. It was also fascinating to learn about theories and formulas that I knew nothing about.
on 25 January 2014
It is definitely an interesting read and gives accessible examples that show how maths/physics can be applied to real world problems. It is a bit disappointing that along side the 'written' equations is does not provide the standard mathematical notation as this is a missed opportunity to develop the reader's appreciation of mathematical notation without the fear that they won't understand. It would also not frustrate the more literate reader quite so much.
on 7 May 2015
As a physicist I was already fairly familiar with the physics and maths chapters, not a lot that was new. Probably a good read for the interested non-specialist. The economics chapters were of greater interest, and the most fundamental equation (equation of exchange) a useful insight, albeit very cursory, into modern economic (and global) problems. Overall, useful, interesting but needs further development.
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2015
This is one of these formulas that can quickly get you hooked on physics. It's very simple and extremely useful.

Right at the very beginning with the very first formula .
Except terms were left undefined because the author assumed we would understand what each letter and term represented, and would be clear as crystal to us all. Except it wasn't. The jollity of the tone and the assumption that he had just presented us with an awesomely simple and useful formulae without apparently realising that he hadn't in fact explained a single solitary thing, but for a diagram that left no one any wiser when it comes to terminology, left me with that sinking feeling of stupidity that comes when the very well informed but terrible communicators try to teach anything.
Id be careful about buying this one. The Writer fondly imagines he has explained everything with simplicity and clarity, while doing anything but.
on 18 October 2015
great book to bring back memories of the equations and how they became ... I had not used these for so long some I could not even recall. loved it as did my son studying engineering.
on 13 March 2014
This is indeed a compilation of great formula's, I myself being an economist find his selection for economics a bit odd but I enjoyed the physics bit of it, It took me back to high school. I'm uncertain who I would recommend this to, I would guess, one of the disciplines in the title, because it helps put into context what your discipline has that differs from the other.
on 30 January 2014
I'm slow at maths, I will keep this book as a reference, it is very helpful. I wanted it because I'm interested in quantum physics and astronomy, and there are formulas in here that explains how things are calculated in the science world. There are also some interesting snippets of facts, to boot. Maths is boring, but I really liked this!