4.0 out of 5 stars Trademark Boston
Published 12 months ago by Martyn Hewitt

1.0 out of 5 stars Where's the Boston of old
I was so excited when I read that Boston were bringing out a new album and I had read that it was going to be more similar to the Boston of Old, particularly after the massively disappointing Corporate America album.

Published 10 months ago by Angus Roddie

1.0 out of 5 stars Where's the Boston of old, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life, Love & Hope (Audio CD)

Oh but what a massive disappointment. Their debut album (which is probably one of the Top 5 best albums I have ever bought) and Don't Look Back were without doubt absolute Rock masterpieces - Timeless melodies, wonderfully engineered and skillfully played. But OMG This album should have never been titled as the new Boston album. It should have been labelled as a Tom Scholtz self indulgence masterpiece, which would have certainly stopped me from buying it.

I really have been trying to like this album and I have listened to it repeatedly in the car on the way to work, but there is quite simply not one single good song on the entire album. It should have never been sold as the new Boston album. Why oh why could Tom have not brought back the surviving members of the original band and create an album to be proud of ?

Unfortunately this album, for me, is the final nail in the coffin as I quite simply will not buy another Boston album if there is ever one produced and I will have to have to settle listening to their first 2 masterpieces.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trademark Boston, 19 Dec 2013
Martyn Hewitt (Faversham, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life, Love & Hope (Audio CD)
I'm quite surprised at the poor reviews of this album. Yes, it's not a classic and for me the inclusion of three previously released tracks is a bit cheap, but I buy a Boston album for that trademark sound that only Tom Scholz can produce. If Boston had done an unplugged album or gone in a different direction I can only imagine the outcry. The opening track Heaven on Earth is everything you would expect if you love Boston and hits the mark big time. The rest of the album is more of the same culminating in the final track The Way You Look Tonight which for some will come across as soppy but it leaves you wanting more and is a real grower. In fact I would say the whole album grows the more you listen to it and I personally can't keep it off the player. My advice, go on a 45 minute car journey and turn up the volume and remember with Boston you get what you pay for.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tom, dial 911, please, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Life, Love & Hope (Audio CD)
I bought this album because hey, this is Boston, I ALWAYS buy whatever they put on sale - I'm a fan and that's what fans do. Never thought I'd see the day that I'd regret buying one of their albums. Today, however, is that day. This album sucks big time.

First of all, the re-releases are no match to the originals. They should have been left alone. Tom, it took you eight years to get off the pot and get them on an album the first time around; why should adding another eleven years automatically improve them? Let me tell you: it didn't.

Then, the new material. There's good news and there's bad news. The good news is: the trademark sound is still there. The bad news is: the songs themselves aren't all that great, certainly not on a par with the best of their other albums. If this is the best Boston can do after all that time and with all that effort... I'm sorry, but I'm more than a bit disappointed.

Brad Delp passed away, Kimberley Dahme went solo again. There have been guest vocalists introduced on this album. That's fine by me. But why stop there, Tom? You could have used a guest songwriter. Someone you yourself admire and are prepared to listen to. Because God only knows if I can stand another album like this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Far from "Feelin' Satisfied"!, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Life, Love & Hope (Audio CD)
I recall the previous (pathetic) Boston effort had a CD cover showing how much Tom Scholz cared about the planet, cared about ecology, cared about animals, etc. What a pity he doesn't seem to care about humans as much, specifically, Boston fans!

I was describing the band to someone the other day. I explained how the debut album would forever be an AOR masterpiece, how the follow-up matched it in my opinion (although many disagreed), how the 3rd album was a let-down (weaker songs and not enough up-tempo tracks), and how "Walk On" was a slight reprieve, although spoilt by organ. (Why does the man fancy himself as a keyboard player so much? Stick to the guitar!)

I mentioned the inexcusable (and increasing) long delays between releases. I said there was no way he'd have done that if he'd had to put food on the table every day. (Maybe it would have been better if the debut hadn't been THAT big a seller!!!) I mentioned his obsession with making guitars sound like synthesizers to prove some bizarre point. (Errr, nobody CARES what instrument makes a particular sound as long as the sound is there.)

I then mentioned the outrageous "Corporate America" where he thought he could just include his girlfriend's acoustic dabblings and pass it off as "Boston". WRONG! There's a reason millions bought into the great Boston guitar sound with Brad Delp's incredible harmony vocals. They had every right to expect that from subsequent albums. I'm sure Kimberley Dahme is a nice person, and I'm sure her solo album is very good for that genre, but you DON'T force your sweetheart's music down everyone's throat. What if Tony Iommi has married a concert pianist then included a classical piano showpiece in the middle of a Black Sabbath album?!

If anyone should dispute my feelings there, then let me ask a question : if the first "Boston" had been full of Kimberley Dahme originals, would it have had the same phenomenal success? Well? Enough said!

This release (which is so poor it doesn't warrant the time taken to do a detailed track-by-track critique) rehashes songs - a trait already evidenced previously with "Livin' For You". What? In case we missed them first time round? I know Tom Scholz could never be called "prolific", but come on! There is a mixture of voices and styles, but nothing even remotely comparable to their glory days, to my ears. No doubt some diehards will come out with that "logical progression" nonsense, but the only logic I can see is releasing it under an entirely different band name, and seeing if it sells - I dare them!

I remember laughing a few years ago when I read about him battling some record company for not promoting the C.A. album. Hilarious! Blaming others, when the simple reason it didn't sell was because if was utterly NAFF! People chose not to buy then, and even less will buy this.

I sincerely believe that this latest abomination - 11 years in the making? - only appeared because his coffers were running short (due to various legal costs). Will it therefore recoup? Wouldn't hold your breath, mate!

Finally, many rumours have surrounded the death of the late, great Brad Delp, who was at least a little bit more prolific than Scholz over the years. I don't suppose we may ever know the truth, the real story, but there has certainly been mention of Scholz's antics allegedly causing Delp's depression, which led to suicide. As I say, you and I weren't there, but I can honestly say nothing would surprise me any more where Scholz is concerned, should it be true. He's gone from hero to zero in my book, and I can see this album making him a laughing stock. Buy at your peril!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Their Best Effort, 22 Feb 2014
kaz58 (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life, Love & Hope (Audio CD)
I bought this because I've been a Boston fan for a long, long time but my honest opinion is that this album is c£%p

1.0 out of 5 stars We all love Tom really..., 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life, Love & Hope (Audio CD)
There was a time when the music of Boston was an affirmation of Life, Love and Hope. Particularly for me as a lad growing up in Northern Ireland in the 70's.

Tom once said that he was Boston's greatest critic, but with respect that isn't true. It's obvious from all the reviews here that his fans are. Reading between the lines it's clear that we all love Tom, but perhaps we expect too much?

Tom is obviously at a reflective time in his life, and his music illustrates that. All points regarding the album have been well and truly covered in the reviews so there is no point in repeating them here. If Tom is happy with this album, then so be it. I guess as fans we should respect that… but we don't necessarily have to like it.

One can spend so much time 'crafting' something – so much so in fact, that any spark of creativity, spontaneity and inspiration is lost, and I think this is the case for a lot of this album. That is, if there was any spark of creativity, spontaneity and inspiration in the first place. I have a feeling that the rough demos for some of this material might have been more inspirational…. well, perhaps.

Tom is very much a one man band, and I feel this material could have benefitted from some degree of collaboration and honesty from other musicians and producers… if indeed there was any collaboration at all. If there was, it was either ignored or was completely un-musical.

There is one track which, with a new arrangement, real drums et all could have been a true Boston classic, and that is "You gave up on love". Where once, (at 2.39) Tom would have taken us into the stratosphere – here, he applied the brakes, only for the song to limp back to life for the end. This pretty much sums up my feeling of let down for the whole album.

I wish Tom the best… and, (speaking selfishly) I live in hope that we might have a new, classic Boston album, played by a band, within the forseeable future (this time next year!) that is brimming with Life, Love and Hope for all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't sure initially but now can't stop playing it!!, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Life, Love & Hope (Audio CD)
Given the mixed reviews about this album, I felt I had to comment that, although initially I didn't think it was very good at all, having persevered with it and kept playing it, I now think it is a great album and can't stop playing it.

The songs are all excellent (well, maybe apart from 'Love got away'), particularly track 2 "Didn't mean to fall in love" with Brad singing. Well done Tom et al - another classic Boston album.

My advice would be to not be put off by the bad reviews and try this for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but still a great Boston album!, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life, Love & Hope (Audio CD)
Firstly the bad - sub-standard production (unacceptable considering the quality of other music released in this genre, especially on Frontier Records) and only 8 new songs (3 songs have been re-recorded from previous albums). However, this is outweighed by the fact this is still unmistakably a Boston album with all the smooth vocal harmonies, big chorussed guitar chords, classic organ sound and excellent songs you'd expect from Tom Scholz. Ironically the 3 re-recorded songs are actually excellent tunes and some of my favourites from the Corporate America album. I have listened to this CD dozens of times since purchasing it and the negative aspects mentioned at the start don't spoil my listening pleasure, hence the positive rating. Hopefully Tom will allow some outside help for the next CD and get the production back up to the quality level you would expect from Boston and Frontier Records.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: Life, Love & Hope (Audio CD)
Oh dear. I have listened to some great new albums this year from some long standing bands such as saxon, deep purple, black sabbath and motorhead. This i'm afraid to say is the worst album i have bought for a very long time, i expected better from Tom Sholz, it is almost as if the guy has given up and has just put together what he had available and said that will do fine. I should have listened to the dj on planet rock advice and saved my money, one for completists only.

1.0 out of 5 stars More Than Apalling., 2 Dec 2014
This review is from: Life, Love & Hope (Audio CD)
I first heard this album the day it was available, over a year ago. I think it's about time I write a review.

Frankly, I could go on and on about how infuriating this album is. From the lazy, uninspired artwork, to the fact that the sheer number of vocalists on this album (even Tom attempts to sing lead on one song) means it lacks any cohesiveness. But I'm not going to be too thorough, otherwise we'll be here for about 3 months.

This album took Tom Scholz 11 years to make. It's terribly produced, with awful mixing and mediocre songs. Sure, there are moments of Boston throughout, but it really isn't enough. Not to mention there are a bunch of songs rehashed from the previous effort 'Corporate America', which is also an unbelievably poor album. You wouldn't believe I'm a huge Boston fan would you?

But to top it all off, the song 'Sail Away' (the last song we're ever likely to hear from Boston featuring Brad) features terrible spoken word parts from Kimberly Dahme and helicopter noises.

This means the last Boston album worth any note at all was 1994's 'Walk On', which despite it's flaws features some great playing from Tom and excellent songwriting. That's right, the last good Boston album was 20 years ago.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention. The sound of the drums on this album are easily the worst, most artificial sounding I've EVER heard.

Don't buy this album. It's More Than Appalling.

Life, Love & Hope