4.0 out of 5 stars Paul's Debut
Margins is the debut album from Maximo Park's frontman Paul Smith,
which took four years in the making.
It is thoughtful and melodic.There are thirteen tracks on the album
and I can't say I disliked one of them.

The lyrics are quaint..."you can rely on nature's spite/to chuck another spanner in the works"(North Atlantic Drift),and sometimes...
Published on 16 Oct 2010 by juliet R

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Bought this as love Paul and Maximo but music is very bland and borderline depressing. Pictures are nice though, but not really my thing.
Published 16 months ago by Julius Cezar

4.0 out of 5 stars Paul's Debut, 16 Oct 2010
Margins is the debut album from Maximo Park's frontman Paul Smith,
which took four years in the making.
It is thoughtful and melodic.There are thirteen tracks on the album
and I can't say I disliked one of them.

baffling..."we had a conversation/and we decided/three gulps of Coca-Cola would suffice"(The Tingles),but as a whole,Margins is pleasantly
pleasing,often very endearing,and so warmly-written that you could
wrap it up in velvet and snuggle inside it.

My favourite track is the breezy Strange Friction,with its David Gray-style intro and lovely chorus,closely followed by the pining Pinball,whose brilliant ukelele backing Paul Smith's torch singer's vocals, almost steals the song.

A strong highlight of the album is the special effects on I Wonder If,making the track almost unbearable to listen to(in a very good way,of course!!)- my spine almost crackled when I heard it.

Warm...is the word I would use to describe Margins.Every song has a
pure,honest(sometimes too honest,bordering on the acutely self-effacing)feel to it.

The album is absolutely nothing like Maximo Park's albums at all.

I sincerely hope it is a big success for Mr Smith.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful songs from a talented lad, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: Margins (Audio CD)
I bought this at the launch gig in Middlesbrough. I'd only heard Our Lady of Lourdes at that point, but really liked that song. The sound was not good at that gig, but the songs came through strong and sweet.
With this album Paul breaks from the sometimes limited orchestration of Maximo Park. He explores softer and potent musical ideas that what work particularly well with his idiosyncratic lyrics. I go back to this disc a great deal and enjoy every track. There are some really sad images of relationship breaking down (While You're in the Bath), but the stories are varied since this was made over four years. "I Drew You Sleeping" is captivating; it flows with lovely guitar work and pauses almost oddly at first. Once you get to know it, it's hard to get it out of your head. It actually starts with something that is more Maximo Park than the rest, though North Atlantic Drift is still coloured by Paul's own palette.
It's a great album; I'd be happy if he stayed as a solo artist and maybe he will when he's had enough of all that leaping around with The Park.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really lovely, 11 Oct 2010
This review is from: Margins (Audio CD)
This album has got such a lovely feel to it - quite different to Maximo Park's stuff, but it has Paul's stamp all over it - beautiful lyrics and voice - I loved it on first listen and it's growing on me more and more each time I play it... Am eagerly awaiting the arrival of his book now!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Aug 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Margins (Audio CD)
Paul's album is relaxing and beautiful in all its lyrics. Each song hypnotised me to the next and without realising it I had listened to the whole thing. Paul is the singer of Maximo Park and this solo album of his did not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 25 Nov 2014
This review is from: Margins (Audio CD)
Paul Smith is the greatest love song lyricist of our time. His solo work feels like a private gig and is so different to the type of stuff he did with Maxïmo Park. Listen and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars hope margins is a sucess!!, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: Margins (Audio CD)
We went to see Paul at his album launch last night and it was wonderful, a bit different from the Maximo Park stuff, but beautiful lyrics, melodies and a very charismatic person. He played all of his new album which went down extremely well. We look forward to listening to this and enjoying it as much as we did live.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely art, 3 Dec 2010
As a polaroid lover, I have to say this book is truly a gem. Thoughtful, honest, beautifully put together.
The record is just as delicately surreal as the photos. The perfect companion to a lonely trip.
Indeed a purchase I won't regret.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul Smith - Margins Review, 29 Aug 2010
This review is from: Margins (Audio CD)
Actually this isnt out yet....

And I havent heard anything expect North Atlantic Drift ... but seeing at that track is so good then it is obvious that the new CD will be superb too.

Buy it now.... You Will Not Regret It..

This is classic Paul Smith at his best.

DB2