5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific
I dont know Metric at all but loved the cover and thought I would check a tune or two out on you tube. On the basis of what I saw, I ordered the album and it arrived today.

So, I have no idea whether they have changed direction, or how it compares to their earlier work, but I love this album. My 21 year old son just came in and wanted to know who was playing...
Published on 27 Jun 2012 by Mr. Samuel Memour

3.0 out of 5 stars A more commercial offering
First of all thank you to Mr Dodds for his comprehensive review but this album failed to impress me. That's not to say it isn't a good album, just that Metric didn't go in a direction that impressed me.
Published on 25 Jun 2012 by PJ Rankine

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hidden Gem, 1 Oct 2012
Ryman (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Synthetica (MP3 Download)
I never normally bother writing reviews but with this I just felt I had to.
I fell in love with Fantasies and this album is an equal classic.
"Lost Kitten" and "Clone" are personal favorites of mine but like Fantasies the whole album is a beaut.
Most people will have likely never heard of these guys, which is a shame because they deserve to be huge.
This band really are amazing, I cannot recommend them enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can now open the car door!, 30 Sep 2012
Duncurin (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Synthetica (Audio CD)
I bought this CD because I'd read a good review in a Sunday paper and also because it's a Canadian band. Older people like me can easily continue to revolve around the music we listened to when we were younger and most of my downloads are to replace old vinyl tracks. My two daughters recognised this many years ago and when I dropped them off at school would ask me to switch the CD off before they opened the door! More recently they won't let me play any music at all - until this CD arrived.
Some wonderful tracks, a teeny bit of swearing, which doesn't widen its appeal, and track 5 is very repetitive, so I tend to skip this. As soon as track 3 came up, however, I knew it was a winner and it sizzles along to track 8, Synthetica , and my current favourite the last track. ( the more you listen the more you appreciate it ) I love the way Emily sings in Track 3 "Then the storm returned for more" with that gentle Canadian drawl and also the way she sings in track 11 "Always said that love is not enough"
Overall it's brilliant and I'm sure they'll make Canada proud, and as for me, now I can even open the car door or wind my window down !

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album., 25 Aug 2012
This review is from: Synthetica (Audio CD)
Love the album and regulary features on my playlist, quite possibly new favourite album of Metric, equally as good as Fantasies.

Beats are brilliant, often find myself tapping away at work much to the annoyance of colleagues. Solid effort, well worth buying, check out some of the tracks on youtube if in doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Synthetica, 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: Synthetica (Audio CD)
I'm a huge fan of Metric's Fantasies and didn't really know what to expect from their new album Synthetica. I wasn't disappointed. Although it lacks the more upbeat, 'f***-off' attitude of Fantasies, I actually feel Synthetica is a more sophisticated, grown up offering. The lyrics are more introspective but without losing the attitude or the honesty that makes Metric so enjoyable to listen to. This subtle development in their sound has allowed Synthetica to reach 'epic' in a way their previous albums never quite have.

Five stars!

3.0 out of 5 stars A more commercial offering, 25 Jun 2012
PJ Rankine (Wallington, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Synthetica (MP3 Download)
Overall the album is good and very listenable but I missed the clever lyrics of earlier efforts ('Any speed on your knees is crawling' - brilliant) and being sythesizer based it lacks any really distinctive riffs.
I was going to give it four points until I reached the self indulgent last five tracks which are reflections on five of the other songs and add nothing to the album at all. I'm just glad they are all grouped together at the end, shuffle will not be deployed.

5.0 out of 5 stars brill, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Synthetica (Audio CD)
Brill Fast delivery.great cd thanks very much will use again.cd was in perfect was in perfect condition wrapper was still on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good, it's a grower., 23 Nov 2012
dizzeechanne123 (wolverhampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Synthetica (Audio CD)
I like this album, some of the songs are good like Artificial Nocturne (I like the progressiveness of this song just wish it had as much zest as Hustle Rose does, just when you think its going to let rip the song just fades out and falls flat.) and Lost kitten (this is the song that made me buy the album). Some songs however irritate me e.g Dream So Real, I get what the song is trying to convey, but it just sounds inferior to some of their other material.

Furthermore the album cover is back to front, it's good that they are trying to stand out from the crowd (and it worked because I didn't even know that Metric had released a new album; until I picked the album up in a shop to see who it was by. The only reason I picked the CD up was because the cover was attractive), but eventually I got bored of using a rubbish mirror to read lyrics as it's quite taxing. Sometimes you just want to read the booklet without the aid of a mirror.

Overall it's on par with Fantasies, but not as good as the fantastic Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? which features my favorite Metric song Hustle Rose,Grow up and Blow Away Which features the brilliant satirical Rock Me Now or Live It Out which was more alternative and featured some great tunes such as Patriarch on a Vespa, Handshakes and Monster Hospital. I prefer Metrics Jazzier or edgy Rock style more to the electronic airy feel that this album presents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good but not a particularly strong batch of songs, 28 Aug 2012
This review is from: Synthetica (Audio CD)
NOTE 31/5/13: I play this on shuffle all the time. It has wormed its way into my life. I've upped my 3 out of 5 review to 5 out of 5. I'm not 100% sold on it as an ALBUM, but for music to play on shuffle it's great. Also you might as well up my individual X out of 10 track scores by two points.

----------------

It's a very shallow album with no real depths to it. I don't doubt that Emily Haines means what she's singing, and that it's deep and thoughtful stuff for her. It's just for me I don't hear much meaning to it. It's little more than good sounding phrases. It's probably best to stop looking for a motherlode of substance and instead just enjoy the sheer SOUND of it.

Sonically they favour glossy, glassy over production. They can sound a bit stiff and hemmed in by how sumptuous it all sounds. This can be taken as a complaint, but I think it's more of a strength than a weakness as it does sound really nice. The production reminds me of Absolution era Muse. It also recalls the stylish work that Martin Hannett did with Joy Division.

1. Artificial Nocturne 5:42 (6 out of 10 stars)
Decent song but it never really picks up and explodes into the rock song it keeps threatening to become. Too polite for its own good - even with so much upfront swearing.

2. Youth Without Youth 4:17 (6 out of 10 stars)
Has more of a disco beat. Again, rather too polite.

3. Speed The Collapse 3:43 (5 out of 10 stars)
Song doesn't really do anything. Neither good or bad.

4. Breathing Underwater 3:56 (6 out of 10 stars)
Moves through different sounding sections, which makes it interesting musically. Lyrics are nothing special.

5. Dreams So Real 2:41 (4 out of 10 stars)
Starts promisingly, but it never seems to get beyond the opening and develop into anything.

6. Lost Kitten 3:17 (7 out of 10 stars)
Interesting falsetto(?) singing and better, more involved lyrics.

7. The Void 3:18 (7 out of 10 stars)
The start is musically and lyrically strong. It then doesn't go anywhere in the second half and just repeats itself.

8. Synthetica 3:55 (7 out of 10 stars)
Sounds good but I don't think there's much substance to it lyrically. Which is a shame as it's the title track.

9. Clone 5:14 (4 out of 10 stars)
A less crowded, less dense production on this near ballad. The song is fairly banal and it goes on a bit.

10. The Wanderlust [with Lou Reed] 3:10 (6 out of 10 stars)
It doesn't feel like there's much of a song here. Rather indifferent and of no note beyond Lou Reed providing backing vocals. At first he was a major drag on the song as his voice is truly terrible nowadays. Now I find on repeat plays that his voice fits the song like a glove.

11. Nothing But Time 4:04 (4 out of 10 stars)
Harmless, but decent sounding filler. Very forgettable.

I like to make EP playlists out of some albums for my iPod. Tracks 2, 6, 7 and 8 made the cut.

Fantasies, the previous album, is more impressive. It's a better starting point if you are new to the band.

Overall 6 out of 10 stars.