5.0 out of 5 stars Where have u been all my life?
Well this is probably be the most amateur review however when requested to write one i couldnt resist.

This album is my absolute favourite find of the year so far without a shadow of a doubt.

Its varied from song to song, the only true similarity through the album is the quality of the songs...superb!

Everlasting light starts us off in...
Published on 27 April 2011 by lenny

2.0 out of 5 stars Different stuff
If you liked the raw and gutsy riffing/licking of Big Come up/Rubber Factory/Thickfreakness, then this ain't for you. I saw them a couple of years ago and the crowd were having a whale of a time with the older stuff, but when they played songs from Magic Potion/Attack and Release the audience stood still and bobbed from side to side a bit. Just can't bring myself round to...
Published on 6 July 2010 by A. J. B. Heath

5.0 out of 5 stars Where have u been all my life?, 27 April 2011
This review is from: Brothers (Audio CD)

Everlasting light starts us off in quite a subtle tone, none the less enjoyable and with some delightful vocals, "Let me be your everlasting light" comes out of me regularly in a replica fashion more than a few times a week.

Howling for you is a real high point for me, its leans towards a glam rock style heavey beat, soo catchy, so loud, fast paced (always played at high volume for me) and absolutely wonderful, i defy anyone who doesnt like this record.

I also cant waffle on enough about Ten Cent Pistol, brings to mind cowboy gansters and attractive girls, very cool, beautiful guitar and belongs on a film soundtrack, i could see it fit nicely into a Tarantino, it would definately be in mine, if i were ever to make one...hummm.

Never gonna give you up, beautiful soul style lyrics, grainy yet silky smooth vocals, pure pleasure for the ears telling of true devotion, perfect!

Ending with These Days, so mellow so chilled, for some reason always make me think of the brilliant Albatross by Fleetwood Mac, the most appropriate song for lying in a field in the sun...amongst other enjoyable things!!

In summary a great album, money couldnt be spent more wisely, i advise to make the purchase!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., 25 Dec 2011
This review is from: Brothers [VINYL] (Vinyl)
The album itself is fantastic, on vinyl it's even better. I love this album and the price for it was reasonable, it came relatively quick and undamaged as it should have. If you're a fan of this album, buy the vinyl and if you don't own a vinyl player then get one. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like I used to listen to albums, 8 Mar 2012
This review is from: Brothers (Audio CD)
I'm late to the Black Keys, and this is the only album of theirs I yet own. I'm in the process of remedying that.
I know from reading other reviews that many regard it as being over-produced, and prefer the older material.
I'll be in a position to judge that soon.
But for now: Brothers.
I can give this album no higher recommendation than to say that it is the first album in perhaps a decade that I have listened to over and over again, in the way (pre children) I once did.
It reminds me of the sound you might achieve if you could blend Neil Young, Spiritualized, Billy Bragg and Al Green.
Where once I'd no doubt have been rocking out at the front of trheir gigs, in my mid-40s I simply find this great, late night music for being alone with a glass of wine, low lights and my thoughts. (Or my wife, who likes the album nearly as much as I do.)
Very, very good indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits like sunshine!, 19 May 2010
This review is from: Brothers (Audio CD)
An early contender for album of the year, and for me this is easily the best album
The Keys have made. I have always liked the Keys, some of their songs are fantastic
3 minute riffed-out stompers, but albumwhise they have never been on heavy rotation.
This however, is pure class and gonna stick for a looong time.
The R&B and soul influences are more significant on Brothers than on anything they
have done before, and I see some Black Keys fans think this is too soft compared to
their older stuff (The most entertaining remark being; " there is NO excuse for
falsetto, this is not The Bee Gees"!! HA HA HA!), but I just don't get the criticism.
It's not like they have gone in a completely new direction. "You're the one" from
"Magic Potion" is very similar to the more mellow stuff on "Brothers"
This is a GREAT album and there is no mistaking it for anything else than the Black
Keys. Their sound just got refined, reshuffled and reimagined. Same, but different!

And by the way, falsetto works like a mother!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a review of the new album by The Black Keys, 16 May 2010
Leonardo27 (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brothers (Audio CD)
The duo's last album "Attack and Release" in 2008 helped Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney make the jump from cult status to mainstream. Opinion was sharply divided on the benefits of Danger Mouse's production, and from the general reaction it seems the band may have lost as many diehard fans as it gained new ones.

Perhaps in response to the outcry, Brian Burton's involvement this time round is limited to just the one track, "Tighten Up", with the rest of the album produced by the Keys themselves. But his influence appears to have lingered, with the band's original raw, rough and underproduced sound seemingly consigned to history.

Recorded at the legendary Muscle Shoals studios, you can almost feel the ghosts of those long-gone southern soul greats stalking the sessions. It's a bluesy, swampy, funky and soulful affair that's immediately recognisable as The Black Keys but at the same time suggests a band not content to tread water or simply rest on its laurels. Highlights include "Ten Cent Pistol", the catchy "Next Girl", "Sinister Kid" and "I'm Not the One".

Tasty stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars great album anyway!, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Brothers [VINYL] (Vinyl)
great album, but the vinyl is awesome. it's a heavy vinyl so it has a great sense of quality, especially when played - absolutely great sound!

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Piece Drive, 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: Brothers (Audio CD)
The Black Keys have added white keys and now sound a complete band. Having been a fan of Magic Potion and Attack and Release for the simple beauty of the riffs, the catchiness of the songs and the invention displayed by this two piece, I like Brothers for its deliberately less White-Stripes approach. Now they sound like a band, not some odd 3 wheeled vehicle, and they are all the better for it. A few detractors may criticize the more adult production, but I see it as inevitable progress. I think Dan is one of the best riff writers ever, and the whole thing smacks of greater professionalism in a positive way. Still simple, bluesy, energetic and committed, this is one great record.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great album :), 30 Oct 2011
This review is from: Brothers (Audio CD)
Came in excellent condition, love the music, love the sound. This kind of blend of rhythm, vocals and genuine rock and roll is rare to find in these commercialist times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillliant!, 30 Jan 2011
This review is from: Brothers (MP3 Download)
For two fellows they make alot of noise. I think this album is alot more soulful then the others, but just as good. Sinsiter Kid was a stand out track for me. You need this album in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Oct 2010
C. Freeman - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brothers (Audio CD)
This is a truly marvellous album. I bought it because of an amazon recommends email, followed by a quick check on myspace. I have played it more times than I can shake a stick at, bought Attack and Release to hear more Black Keys and I bought 2 more copies of Brothers to inflict it on more people. I don't count myself as enough of a music reviewer to start putting labels on and drawing comparisons even though I'm sure there are plenty to made. I love it and i think that if you are looking at this album for whatever reason and you think you might like it then go for it! If you don't love it too then you are clearly a fool but you will probably know someone to give it to so you'll have lost nothing.

Brothers