5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply meaningful collection of songs
Published 13 months ago by Kerrie Morrison

3.0 out of 5 stars MILDLY DISAPPOINTING.
This group (alone among its contemporaries) inspires me. They set such incredibly high standards in their music, it's mildly disappointing to find the packaging of this 10th anniversary dvd/double-cd de-luxe issue failing to match up to the musical content. Despite a lavishly produced - & illustrated - 100-page booklet, the set contains:-

- NO record release...
Published 13 months ago by T. Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply meaningful collection of songs, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Best of Keane (Audio CD)
Keane embody songwriting in its truest sense. Every one of their offerings tells a story, often with a very deep and meaningful thread running through it. This collection of songs nicely embraces the last decade of Keane (though they have been around for much longer than that). It includes the soaring anthemic melodies that we all know and love alongside some amazing B sides too. Anyone that questions the inclusion of songs such as Atlantic or Try Again simply don't know this band well enough or what those songs mean personally to the band members. They have indulged themselves by choosing hugely personal tracks that, in turn, mean so much to those that have been fans of the band since the beginning. Snowed Under and Fly to Me are super B sides and the acoustic DVD that comes with the deluxe version of this album comprises a set list voted for entirely by fans that gives us the opportunity to hear much loved songs (Black Burning Heart) that are very seldom played live. This album is a unique collection of songs so would thoroughly recommend the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celebrating ten years of quality music!, 11 Nov 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best of Keane (Audio CD)
Please note: This review is for the standard single CD release.

I've been a Keane fan since their first ever hit in 2003. The song was 'Everybody's Changing', a great track that opens up this eagerly awaited greatest hits collection. The track's lyrics are often very true, but the title hasn't reflected Keane's success and popularity, so far they have released four albums (from 2004-2012), and all of them have hit the number one spot, an impressive track record that I hope still stands when they release their fifth.

'The Best of Keane' marks their first decade of chart success, and contains all the radio friendly songs that we love, as well as two brand new tracks.

The hits are presented chronically, tracks 1-5 are from their 2004 debut 'Hopes and Fears', 6-12 are taken from 'Under the Iron Sea' (which was 'almost' a greatest hits album in terms of the six single's success!), 13-14 debuted on 'Perfect Symmetry', 'My Shadow' was never a hit, but did appear on the EP 'Night Train', and 16-18 all appeared on 'Strangeland', Keane's most recent album. The aforementioned new tracks: 'Higher Than The Son' and 'Won't Be Broken' (19-20) are both included at the end.

If you are a casual fan or don't yet own a Keane album, this brilliant compilation captures most of the highlights of their chart career so far. If you do however own the studio albums already, 'The Best of Keane' is worth having for the two new tracks, and to remind yourself (if you ever needed to) of all the classic songs the band has to their name.

I couldn't have done a better job myself in picking out the songs for this landmark release. However, I will say that it was a rather strange choice to include 'My Shadow' over 'Stop for a Minute, as that was the single taken from the aforementioned EP, and it WAS a top 40 hit. However, that is a minor criticism and not enough for me to rate this CD anything less than five stars.

Along with The Killers (who have also released a hits collection today), Keane was one of my first bands, and I'm still a fan today. I would recommend this album as a Christmas present, and it looks as though Keane and The Killers will be high in the charts throughout the rest of the month and December. Their fifth number one album perhaps?

Note: There is also a two CD set available (The Best of Keane - Deluxe Editon) which contains 17 of the band's B sides (ideal for a fan who wishes to own those tunes all in one place without having to collect the singles), and for the extra five quid or so, if you're really into them, I would say that it is well worth getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A decade of pure genius, 22 Nov 2013
C. Page "cozza1969" (UK) - See all my reviews
A great celebration of of fantastic band. For me, Keane are the most original and creative band to emerge from the last decade. Their output speaks for itself, not least the fabulous collection of B-sides on the deluxe version, which I have always thought warrant being made into an album in their own right.
I don't really understand some of the criticisms made in other reviews on here. The album does what it says on the tin, it is Keane's greatest hits. It may be called The Best of Keane, but it's meant to be a greatest hits collection with a few added extras. It's as simple as that, and either you like the music or you don't.
I have bought the album, even though I own all the albums, just to complete my collection. If people don't like the hits, then you can always make your own collection on iTunes etc. This album may not be everyone's 'best of' Keane collection, but this is what mp3 and players are for, so that you can make your own playlists!
It's great to have an album with all the singles together. I have spent the last half hour in a constant state of goose-pimples, such is the touching nature and musical quality of their songs. The songs are especially meaningful for me, living not far from their home county of Sussex. Many of their songs conjure up beautiful images of nostalgia, friendships and love, lost and found, in and around the sleepy town of Battle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Music Yes That's What Keane Are All About, 13 Nov 2013
Craig G. Williams (READING UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of Keane (Audio CD)
Wow ten years where did that go? I remember when I first stumbled across Keane it was way back in March 2004 on Travis UK tour when they were there support band and yes I was instantly hooked after they played! THE BAND DESERVE THIS BEST OF ALBUM!!

Keane unlike many other bands over the last 10 years have always strived for brilliance over there career so far and it shows in this best of collection. The band are taking a break they are not splitting up. The only thing I will say why not have included "The Lovers Are Losing" surely one of there best songs ever? Perfect Symmetry for me is there strongest album you need to listen a few times and let it grow on you! We then move onto the B-Sides and these are great quality here too all of these could so easily have been put on albums. There is no other band who have touched me emotionally through there music as much as Keane have over the last Ten Years. There lyrics are great and I will say again that Tim Rice Oxley has to be one of the greatest songwriters of our generation!

This should be a celebration of how much there music has enriched our lives over the last ten years. I also find it very very hard to criticise the band in anyway. I actually applaud them for showing other artists how great music can be when the fame doesn't go to your head this is one of the other things I love about Keane the fact there four well grounded blokes!

I think a lot of the stick they have got over the years is totally unfair from the music press as I find all of Keane's work so energising and uplifting surely the way music is meant to make you feel right? well for me yes! but it appears people applaud the downright dull and depressing!

Also Keane are one of the greatest live acts I have ever seen and they top a huge list of bands I have seen over the years since between June 2012 and today I saw the band 5 times! Bristol 5th June, Brixton 9th June, London The 02 Arena 30th November and Newmarket Racecourse 9th August and Kenwood House London 25th August for me there is nobody who tops them live If you have never seen them I urge you to do so because it will stay with you forever like it has me!

I think most UK bands need to look at Keane and there quality of music because it is exceptional! It's how for me music should be and as with all of Keane's album's I never need to skip a track which is very rare to find these days!

Anyways Thank you again Keane for the last 10 years and I raise my glass to another 10+ years after this Hiatus! Let us use this best of as a celebration! and it's a milestone rather than a headstone!

LONG LIVE KEANE!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Keane (MP3 Download)
Like many I was spurned into looking closer at Keane's music following the recent Christmas song for John Lewis - "Somewhere Only We Know" - sung on the advert by Lilly Allen. I have to say that Keane's original version beats it hands down and the rest of the tracks are a joy to listen to. Excellent value album. A must buy if, like me, you only kept Keane on the fringes of your music listening time.

5.0 out of 5 stars ExcellentCD, 5 Dec 2013
Susie Q "Bob's wife" (Wirral Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
What anexcellent CD.I have always liked Keane and have one of their CD's besides this one. I was going to order the cheaper CD but a reviewer said to pay the extra few pounds and order the CD which has extra side B songs included. I am so glad I took his advice. It is a wonderful CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful, 16 July 2014
This review is from: The Best of Keane (Audio CD)
What can I say? Every Keane fan knows that the talents of the angelic Tom Chaplin, Tim-Rice Oxley, Richard Hughes and Jesse Quinn are beyond fantastic. I'm glad that I brought the 1 disc version as I have heard of none of the b-sides in the second album and, although I'm sure that they are amazing, having all those tracks would just be too much and this album has the perfect quantity of songs. The songs are chosen well and laid out perfectly, but I do question some of the band's song choices.

For this reason, I can only give this album 4.9 stars, and this is why.

There are only three songs in this album that I would replace with others. The first it the track 'Try Again' which I listened to for the first time when I went through this album (I only became a fan in March 2014.) This song, although the lyrics are superb, and the song is great until it gets to the chorus, is a tad dull. I don't know if it's just me, but I just lost concentration in the middle and I would have chosen the song 'Love Is The End' to replace it.

The second is 'Silenced By The Night'. I know that many Keane fans just love this song and they'll probably disagree with me but I've never been able to enjoy it for some reason. This is just my opinion. Most Keane songs grow on me, but despite listening to it many times, I am forced to admit that this is not one of Keane's better songs. I would have picked the beautiful 'It's Not True' instead.

The third is 'Won't Be Broken', again the first time that I've listened to it. Of Keane's two new songs, I have to admit that 'Higher Than The Sun' is the better one. Again, I feel that 'Won't Be Broken' is the slightest bit dull and follows the same lines as 'Try Again'. I know I'm not the only one who wondered why 'The Lovers Are Losing' is not in this album and this is the song that I would pick to replace it.

Finally, the only other thing that I would change about this album is that I would have added 'Stop For A Minute'. I know that this has awful rapping with K'naan joining the group, but the radio edit is much better. Maybe this is because it's so different from all of the other Keane songs and, of course, there is a non-keane artist singing in it.

Apart from these slight flaws, which are only my opinion, I love this album and Keane remains my absolute favourite band and, indeed, music artists. Being a child, I saved up to buy this album and it's worth every penny. I brought it only a few pence cheaper on another site. It has nearly all of my absolute favourite songs in it, and I couldn't have chosen the 'Hopes and Fears' songs better myself. I woke up every morning anticipating the album in the post and this album has not disappointed me in any way. Today, when it dropped through the letterbox, it sounded like the most beautiful sound in the world, except, of course, the songs in the album itself.

3.0 out of 5 stars MILDLY DISAPPOINTING., 19 Nov 2013
T. Baker (Kent, England.) - See all my reviews

- NO record release dates,
- NO track timings,
- NO indication of which B sides backed which singles,
- NO lyric-sheets (missed not so much for the album tracks - already included on original releases - as B sides.

Of course, the music (even the B's) is utterly compelling & worth the purchase price alone. For someone like myself who never bought the singles (& have never seen the band "live"), it's rather like hearing a whole new album of Keane material, although the influence of other, better-known tracks can occasionally be detected, as on:-

Fly to me (Your eyes open),
Let it slide (Lovers are losing/Again & again),
Maybe I can change (Try again),
Myth (Spiralling),
Difficult child (Broken Toy).

The two new tracks on CD1 - Higher than the sun & Won't be broken - are OK, though vaguely reminiscent of other songs from 'Strangeland.' The DVD sees the band perform before a select group of enthusiasts, and includes some interesting, amusing 'between-songs' banter.

So far, Keane have hardly put a foot wrong in a unique, illustrious career (and I cannot agree with the reviewers who rate 'Perfect Symmetry' below the group's other output - to me, all four albums sound pretty even, while showing definite - and welcome - musical & lyrical development). Will the next 10 years be as inventive & exciting? It hardly seems likely, but NEVER write off this band - they're blessed with that rarest of gifts: the ability to pull something special & magical out of the hat whenever called upon to do so, seemingly at will.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good B sides, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Best of Keane (Audio CD)
I bought this for the b sides on disc 2 that I haven`t heard before and full marks to Keane for bringing out the deluxe version for this reason. The standard edition is probably for the housewife Christmas market as most Keane fans will already have the songs on disc 1. The two new tracks however are good and very similar to Strangeland tracks, but not worth buying the standard version for alone.
Unfortunately the mastering is the usual poor stardard with clipping and distortion evident throughout particularly in the bass. Considering masterering was done at Abbey Road studios this makes it all the more surprising and I was hoping for better. Keane`s Night Train was also done at Abbey Road and by the same engineer too and sounds better, so it can be done. Probably the expected sales market dictated the loudness this time,but surely disc 2 could have been mastered properly as I doubt many deluxe versions will be sold in Tescos and similar.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Keane - super deluxe version, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Best of Keane (Audio CD)
I wasn't too pleased with the packaging of the super deluxe version as I can't stand CD's not in plastic cases (this happens more and more) but I soon rectified this by placing them in some empty cases I had. I'm more than happy with the content though. I actually listened to the second CD first, not being as familiar with the songs listed. I'm amazed to learn the majority are B-sides when they all sound like big hits to me. I especially loved tracks 1 and 3 (wish the latter had been on the DVD). Beautiful crafted songs, an absolute joy to hear. I'm pleased a live version of "Sea Fog" is included and the brilliant "Under the Iron Sea". The next day I listened to the first CD and of course loved it all as I've played the albums numerous times. Great to have two new songs at the end, one I had heard previously on the radio but not the last one. The DVD was very enjoyable to watch, running to 55 minutes which is a reasonable length. I love acoustic events and even felt I was there! A few of the song choices did surprise me however; I would have replaced two or three with others. This DVD has to make up for my disappointment of no "Strangeland Tour" DVD being released - why ever not? The book adds a nice touch to the package. Keane are my favourite band of modern times as they really do the most perfect music. Hope I don't have to wait too many years for their next album.

The Best Of Keane