5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic box set - Grab it while you can., 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Jesus and Mary Chain [VINYL] (Vinyl)
When this box set was announced, I was unsure as to whether or not to buy. I've loved the JAMC since my schooldays in the 80's and had all these albums on CD bar the peel sessions and live stuff.
However decided to order as I fancied it all on vinyl esp the sessions, live tracks and the fans chosen tracks.

Demon has done an excellent job here, everything on heavy vinyl and remastered to a high quality. Good booklet with interviews, could take or leave the poster and postcards though.

These albums show to me just how underrated the JAMC were, from the feedback laden Psychocandy to the more acoustic feel of stoned and dethroned, there are no weak links in this set.

I was lucky price wise, got some kind of pre order price promise from Amazon and got for £112 but even at £150 this is great value and should be snapped up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Jesus and Mary Chain [VINYL] (Vinyl)
A stunning and lovingly put together box set. This oozes quality from the heavy duty though surprisingly slimline (considering the quantity of vinyl inside) box to the heavy-weight vinyl. A pleasure to open and hold and of course listen to. The only gripe is lack of download code which seems to be a massive oversight. Otherwise simply brilliant, wish all music box collections were so respectfully made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fans will not be disappointed, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Jesus and Mary Chain [VINYL] (Vinyl)
The market for a set like this is pretty limited. Only the most dedicated JAMC fans are going to pay this much for a collection of all the band's albums on vinyl, hence only 1,500 copies being made. If you're one of those 1,500 willing and ready to pony up this much money for this set, you won't be disappointed.

The JAMC never made a bad album. Some fans may (greatly) prefer the band's early, noise-driven material, while others may like their streamlined alt-rock attack of later albums. Others still may hold the gentle grace of Darklands or Stoned & Dethroned in higher regard. For this fan, I enjoy all of their albums equally, as I believe the Reid brothers to be amongst the greatest songwriters in their generation. Whatever style they chose to work in was fine for me, because the songs were always top-notch.

So the merits of a set like this rest upon how good the new vinyl pressings are, and I'm happy to report that they are stellar. With 180-gram vinyl mastered at half-speed, these albums have never sounded better in any format. I already owned all these albums on vinyl (a couple in different pressings), along with the CD versions, so believe me when I say that the sound here is a revelation. I easily prefer this set to Demon's earlier two-CD reissues.

I have but two complaints, and they are forgivable. First, Munki does not come in a gatefold sleeve, as my original Sub Pop pressing did. (On the other hand, Automatic is in a gatefold sleeve, and my original Warner Bros. US pressing is not.) Second, the tops of all the album covers have nicks and cuts in them, but I will attribute this to the vagaries of shipping from the UK to the USA -- these kinds of things happen sometimes.

Although I wish they had arrived with pristine covers, it's not really a big deal, since I never plan to sell this wonderful set (and small splits in the top of the covers will only affect resale value), and the gorgeous vinyl inside is more than enough to make me forget about these imperfections. Still, I thought I'd mention it in case any other customers might also be placing an international order (this set is not available on the Amazon USA site, or from any other American vendor, as far as I can tell).

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect., 4 Mar 2014
Daniel Bremmer "DanielDanTastic" (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jesus and Mary Chain [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Pros: The vinyl is great quality and the remasters sound epic.

Cons: The fan poster is cheesy as hell, b-sides are incomplete, and where the hell is the MP3 download code? It's 2014, and we live in the real world where I expect to be able to listen to the music I own when I'm away from my record player. That's inexcusable.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's beautiful!!, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Jesus and Mary Chain [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I can't believe how well the item was packaged. It's like the box was custom made for a box set of this size. Are their that many? As far as the item itself, it really is a treat to have all these records remastered and in such great packaging. I'm not a collector but I can appreciate when something is done right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless Quality., 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Jesus and Mary Chain [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Honestly, I think it is fair to thank DMG for taking the trouble to remaster & cut them onto vinyls, and to package them so beautifully.

I must agree to the previous reviever that the actions of cutting the shrinkwrap plastic, opening the box cover, and taking the vinyls out from the individual sleeves for inspection are a true enjoyment. The individual album jackets and the pressings are so high quality that each individual album in this boxset deserved to be sold separately. In addition to the book, the boxset even includes a poster and some postcards.

And thanks to AmazonUK's price policy, the boxset only costed me £98 + shipping. I am so happy to be able to buy such a quality vinyl boxset at this value.

I hope Demon Music Group will continue to re-issue many more such quality vinyls.

The Jesus and Mary Chain [VINYL]
The Jesus and Mary Chain [VINYL] by The Jesus and Mary Chain (Vinyl - 2013)