5.0 out of 5 stars Near Perfect, 2 May 2014
El Massri "elmas" (Alexandria , Egypt) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beatriz and the Old Lady (A Short Story) (Kindle Edition)
I dont quite know how this short story got onto my list. But I am glad it did .
Short stories are built around an idea or a facet of human nature , in this case betrayal and revenge.
The 'foreign' setting ............the olde worlde atmosphere created , and the style of narration we quite enjoyable. Esp after a couple of disappointing novels that left one regretting having purchased them , and having forced onself to read them to the end ( for one's money's worth ) .
Cristovao Tezza is an author that I could read again and again .

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting story, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Beatriz and the Old Lady (A Short Story) (Kindle Edition)
I liked this Brazil set short story in which we meet Beatriz a young woman needing to support herself after her marriage ends. The memorable description of the marriage as a "conjugal disaster" tickled me all the way through the story. The old lady comes into play as Beatriz' first client after she advertises her services as a "writing consultant".

Told entirely from Beatriz' viewpoint, the story centres on her impressions of the old lady who it turns out wants Beatriz to transcribe a story. The old lady then goes on to dictate a shocking event in her life as a fascinated Beatriz writes everything down. It turns out that the two women actually have something in common and although what Beatriz learns is staggering, she to some extent also learns something about her own self. My only minor criticism of this story is that I found it a little over-descriptive in parts. Putting that to one side I have to say it is quite an interesting short. I keep calling her "the old lady" as in the title but she does introduce herself to Beatriz as Dolores Maria Rubia de Alicanto!

A 3.5 to 4* read.

4.0 out of 5 stars worth reading, 10 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Beatriz and the Old Lady (A Short Story) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book, I found it easy reading but the plot was not what I had expected. Try it and see what you think!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 27 Mar. 2015
Good, very different.

Beatriz and the Old Lady (A Short Story)