Format: Audio CDChange

The Book Of Love The Argo Records Story 1956 - 1962 has 50 original tracks
This is not a proper review just an attempt to make it easierto read.
These sets really are a steal at this price.

Why are these releases so reasonably priced I hear you ask?

The simple reason that these sets are as cheap as chips is that the tracks are public domain.

That means the rights to the music has gone and any old Dick or Harry can release them.

The bad news for the previous rights holders' means good news for us, the buyers for if the price is too high we will not buy.
So the sets are at a more than reasonable price.
Next year the law changes to fall in line with the Americans and the 50 year rule will be finished but that will apply only to stuff released after 1963.
(Thanks to AJ Taylor for putting me right)

But Amazon have scrunched up all the tracks making it hard for people to read which tracks let alone which artist is on so I've spaced them out making it easier to read.

1. Book Of Love ~ The Monotones

22. Baby Bye Bye ~ Dick & The Gee's
23. I Found My Girl ~ The Kents
24. How You Changed ~ Tiny Topsy
25. Heaven Or Heartbreak ~ Myles & Dupont
26. Heaven And Hull ~ Beverley Westwood.
on 7 November 2013
Good selection guys!!

If you like Do-wop, RnB and a "smiggin" of rockabilly with 50's pop you'll love it - I did

real good mixture from the Chess Subsidiary, some obvious (monotones, Etta James) but also some rare stuff, despite the rarity still good sounds, even got a couple of Novelty tracks.

Generally good all round sound quality but once again not enough notes but for this price go for it!
on 27 February 2015
There's a certain charm about these compilations, even though some reviewers gripe about sound quality. What can you expect from an era that did not have proper production tools?
I bought this compilation as a collector's item; I had a good portion of these records on Chess compilations, but I needed some tracks to complete the catalogue. Argo was a subsidiary to Chess operating out of Chicago and there's a surprise to note that Argo cut much more than Rhythm & Blues; it also released some great Rockabilly.
You get the explosive title track "The Book Of Love" and with it an interesting background story in the sleeve notes. Well-known artists can be found here including Etta James, Clarence Frogman Henry and Billy Stewart. Some tracks stand out, for me: The Kendall Sisters "Yea Yea" (what a fun listen), Rod Bernard "Pardon Mr Gordon and The Solitaires "Walking Along." All 3 were massive hits during the brilliant U.S. Rock N' Roll Era. In 1962 The Sensations "Let Me In" cracked the Top 10; it's featured here and in 1958 a great Doo-Wop ballad by The Pastels "Been So Long" was a hit. I enjoyed some lesser known tracks too by The Fairlanes "Little Girl, Little Girl" and Lou Josie "Breezin' Out (rockabilly). You really have to be lured into this era to purchase this compilation and at a price like this for 50 tracks, it's worth getting to sit at home in your music library.
on 12 November 2013
This 2-CD set comprises 50 tracks from the Chess subsidiary , Argo , and it is a very welcome release for fans of rhythm & blues and rock 'n' roll from the late '50s and early '60s. I have to admit that there a few slow , blues-oriented songs which don't appeal to me , but I really like at least 75% of the tracks. My favourites are those by the Sensations ( 4 songs ) , the Monotones ( 2 songs ) , Silva-Tones , Solitaires , Kendall Sisters , Don & Bob , Rod Bernard , Dick Glasser , and Mel Robbins. Highly recommended , and I look forward eagerly to future releases from " One Day ".
on 28 January 2014
Had never heard of the Label so was really pleased with the Album and out there are some really stand great stand out tracks on the CD
on 17 July 2014
A very good collection of oldies, which is good to reminisce with. Good value for money.
on 2 February 2015
Good mix of tracks from the Chess subsid..
on 3 September 2014