Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 January 2014
Bought this just before Christmas - along with the Barry triple - more for reasons of nostalgia than anything else, the years listed being my prime record buying period. It appears that Apex, a Canadian label, was set up to release US product, along similar lines to our much-loved London American label (and opening here with a British Pye B-side!). Chronologically, the Ritchie Valens is from 1958, and one or two others enjoy recording dates previous to those in the title.

So, typical pop of the period, mixing one or two solid rock'n'rollers (Rock-A-Teens, Fendermen, Chan Romero), a little country (Justin Tubb, Dub Dickerson, Johnny Bond, Johnny Seymour), some doo-wop (Cleftones, Pentagons, Bobby Domino, DeVilles - a Canadian group, here recording for the US label Jerden - Regents etc.) and several intro's, all pretty good, arguably the best being Fat Daddy Holmes' "Chicken Rock".

Nothing revelationary in the pop, tho did bring back memories for me. Doug Sheldon, an early cover king, was all over the place with "Your Ma Said...", I think I bought "Do You Mind?" by Anthony Newley, I laughed at the so-mannered vocals of early Gene Pitney, loved the peerless harmonies of the Ev's, I'd forgotten what a great voice Lenny Welch had. Jan & Dean's "Heart And Soul" made me go buy the Cleftones, Little Frankie Brunson was a would-be Jackie Wilson, Ron Holden sounds 'different' to my well remembered "My Babe", "Hully Gully Again" from Little Caesar and crew reminded me of the Olympics. For sure, there were one or two disappointments, but I expected as much. So overall, an enjoyable set, I got my money's worth.
ACTION THE APEX RECORDS STORY 1960 - 1962 contains 50 original recordings by the original artists but Amazon have scrunched all the tracks up together making it hard to decypher what on the CDs so I've spaced them out to make it a little more clear.

This isn't review proper just an aide.
These sets really are a steal at this price.

Why are these releases so reasonably priced I hear you ask?

The simple reason that these sets are as cheap as chips is that the tracks are public domain.

That means the rights to the music has gone and any old Dick or Harry can release them.

The bad news for the previous rights holders' means good news for us, the buyers for if the price is too high we will not buy.
So the sets are at a more than reasonable price.
Next year the law changes to fall in line with the Americans and the 50 year rule will be finished but that will apply only to stuff released after 1963.
(Thanks to AJ Taylor for putting me right)

But Amazon have scrunched up all the tracks making it hard for people to read which tracks let alone which artist is on so I've spaced them out making it easier to read.

CD1

22. Gonna See My Baby ~ The Addrisi Brothers
23. In The Heart Of A Fool ~ Johnnie Ray
24. Red Eye ~ The Champs
25. The Same Way You Came In ~ Johnny Seymour
26. The Hessle Wrestle -Stevie D'Or and The Dockers.
on 27 December 2013
great.bit of oldies music, Love this old stuff this sort of sound will always be around. it is always nice to here
on 9 November 2015
The good the bad and the indifferent but at such a low price. It's a bargain as are most of the releases in this series.
on 17 July 2014
A very good collection of oldies, which is good to reminisce with. Good value for money.
on 16 July 2014