Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 November 2013
Another 2 disc compilation from 'One Day Music' this time focusing on George Goldner's 'End' label (his 'Gone' label has also been compiled by One Day Music'). The tracks span 1957 to 1962 and are promdominantly Doo Wop in style with a few tracks of R&B, Jump & Jive and a couple of Gospel tracks from Little Richard recorded after he denounced Rock n' Roll. The quality of the music is quite high without being outstanding, some well known artists such as Little Anthony, The Flamingos, The Dubs and the Chantels lead the way. As for sound quality, it ranges from good to very good (but never fantastic - some tracks have slight distortion). A couple of standout tracks on disc 1 (61.13mins) are 'Now that we broke up' by the Dubs and 'After you' by The Sweeties. Disc 2 (62.13mins) continues in a simular vein as disc 1 with lots Doo Wop with the picks of the bunch being 'My love came back' by The Velours and 'Fatal Charms of love' by The Four Cheers also worth a mention is Birdie Green's R&B belter 'How Come'. As with all these compilations there is no booklet just a one sided intro to the label itself. Overall, a good compilation of mainly forgotten Doo Wop tracks at a bargain price. 7.5/10.
The Night The End Records Story 1957 -1962 has 50 original tracks spread over 2 Cds.
Familiar names like Little Richard and the Miracles are familiar others not so.
But then again that is the joy of these collections listening to some long lost track or discovering something new?
These sets really are a steal at this price.

Why are these releases so reasonably priced I hear you ask?

The simple reason that these sets are as cheap as chips is that the tracks are public domain.

That means the rights to the music has gone and any old Dick or Harry can release them.

The bad news for the previous rights holders' means good news for us, the buyers for if the price is too high we will not buy.
So the sets are at a more than reasonable price.
Next year the law changes to fall in line with the Americans and the 50 year rule will be finished but that will apply only to stuff released after 1963.
(Thanks to AJ Taylor for putting me right)

But Amazon have scrunched up all the tracks making it hard for people to read which tracks let alone which artist is on so I've spaced them out making it easier to read.

CD1

22. Walkin Together ~ Pete Morris
23. I Cry ~ The Miracles
24. Crazy About You ~ Vince Maloy
25. Goodnight Sweetheart ~ The Flamingos
26. Good Morning ~ Beverley Westwood.
on 13 October 2015
First of all, I have to highlight that the release of catalogues like so, which ONE DAY MUSIC does month after month (although I've noticed that they've come to a halt lately - don't know why!) gives all of us an in-depth look at material never even made the Top 40 or material that never found airplay. That fact alone just blows my mind away!

The End Records Story is another fine example of quality material produced back in the day; yes, there are B-sides which won't satisfy us, but that's just the nature of these releases and not everything was agreeable back then. You get the Flamingos and every tune is worth a listen. Their "I Only Have Eyes For You" is featured on American Graffiti and was a smash back in '59. Little Anthony and The Imperials' Top 10 single "Tears On My Pillow" is here and has been covered by so many artists later to come.

Ok, by now, I've mentioned the topnotch national tunes; with these comps I go for the rare and obscure tunes! We all know the Chantels' "Maybe" but I like "I Love You So" a whole lot more (goosebumps every time I hear it, Lord, have mercy!) Other tunes worth checking out are "Now That We've Broke Up" by the Dubs (you'll remember them back in '57 with "Could This Be Magic"), "If I Should Lose You" by the Dreamlovers and "Hey Little Cupid" by The Uniques. "Got A Job" by the Miracles (yes, Smokey Robinson) was an answer to the Silhouettes' "Get A Job."

If you're like me, tired of listening to the same Unchained Melody, I'm A Believer, Stand By Me type oldies, here are comps with fresh old but "new" tunes ready for your collection at home. ONE DAY, please keep 'em coming!
on 27 December 2013
If you're a doo-wop lover, this is by far the best of the bargain "one-label story" CDs now available. It includes a smattering of the familiar - Flamingos, Chantels, Little Anthony etc - plus plenty of seldom played rareties. It's particularly strong on ballads. If you haven't already got The Dreamlovers' "If I Should Lose You" in your collection, then it's worth shelling out on this CD for that track alone. Scarcely a dud among the 50 songs. A wonderful mixture of some of the very best doo-wop hits, plus others which deserved to be hits.
on 6 December 2013
Another superb cd from One Day Music, great Doo Wop as well as Gospel. This series is well worth the money, even if there is only one or two tracks that you need for your collection, buy it
on 2 February 2015
Wow! Lot's of little known material from folk who did well on other labels.
on 18 February 2016
well this was a dark horse , i was'nt expecting a lot from this set , but wow was i wrong if you've others in the series then you must have this one all excellent apart from little richard tracks !
on 8 January 2014
A really comprehensive compilation, found quite by accident on the 'recommends' section of the Amazon site. Who knew they'd guess I'd have such good taste?
on 17 July 2014
A very good collection of oldies, which is good to reminisce with. Good value for money.
on 3 March 2016
Excellent two discer 1957-1962 for The End Records Story. THE END.