5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 10 Nov 2013
This review is from: A White Coat Is My Closet (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book; it's much more than just an MM romance. The author, Jake Wells, is a doctor. If that hadn't been explained in the 'acknowledgements', it would be clear from reading the book. The medical setting is portrayed with such confidence and accuracy that it is clear that this is the work of someone who knows their stuff! There's a lot of medical detail but none is left unexplained, it all adds to the richness of the story. Also, fair warning... much of the medical plot revolves around very young children in desperate medical situations. There's huge scope for tears, so have the tissues standing by.

The main plot concerns Dr Zack Sheldon, an accomplished physician who struggles with his sexuality - he's deeply in the closet and leads a double life in a way that will be familiar to many people. His world is turned upside down when he meets and falls in love with Sergio. Their developing relationship and the tensions that are created by Zack's inability to be open, are handled really well. Again, there's much here that will strike a chord with many people.

There are sections of this book that really impressed me. The opening chapter is gripping. There's a confrontation in a restaurant part way through that dealt with homophobic abuse in a way that left me punching the air and cheering for Zack. I'm doing my best to avoid spoilers but the climax of the book is simply brilliant; I couldn't put it down. All in all, it's a really good mix of high drama and emotion.

Zack Sheldon is a wonderful character. Strip away all the banter, and you find a gay man struggling with his own identity. Full of insecurities, fear and self-doubt; he's portrayed in a very honest way.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say just read this!!, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: A White Coat Is My Closet (Kindle Edition)
Loved this romance. Very true to life characters, who you find yourself really getting involved with. Be warned you will need a box of tissues because if you wear your heart on your sleeve then you will cry buckets, both with sadness rage and happiness. They say everyone has at least one book in them I sincerely hope Jake has at least one more. To write such a book means that he is one very special person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Conceived Story., 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: A White Coat Is My Closet (Kindle Edition)
Having read over 1000 Gay Romances,this one is in my top 50.
Demonstrates accurate portrayal of hospital life,with the characters nicely drawn,the situations all within the bounds of belief and the unsavory opinions of bigots nicely handled - the sex was not blatant,but left to the imagination -a change from most novels in this genre.
I enjoyed it immensely and eagerly await more of his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: A White Coat Is My Closet (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! It has emotional highs and lows and I have cried reading it so many times. I too worked in paediatrics and was in the closet. It was only 2 years after I retired that I eventually 'came out' aged 59. All my colleagues were not surprised and my 88 year old mum said ' I always thought you were'. I'm happier now than ever. I so related to Zack. Anyone out there in the same situation - just do it!! X

5.0 out of 5 stars Ain't that the truth, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: A White Coat Is My Closet (Kindle Edition)
Jake Wells must be a doctor or a paediatric nurse, or a hell of a researcher. As a paediatrician myself I remember the days when I was an HO and SHO and homosexuality was illegal in England the feeling that to prove to oneself that your worth as a person and a doctor did not equate to being a gay man.
Jake has capture the essence of all of those conflicting emotions in this incredible love story told in parallel with life on a paediatric unit. The heart rendering story of Christopher and Zack's professional and personal involvement engaged me from the start.
Please Jake can we have more, or is this story so close to home that you can never replicate it again. I hope not, I recommend this story and it's writer to all who cherish a believable love story and a hospital drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, empathetic and humorous!, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: A White Coat Is My Closet (Kindle Edition)
The product description told me this was going to be a story about a doctor struggling with his sexuality so I was expecting a easy read. Oh no, this book is full of carefully crafted personalities that put together take your on a journey that is so much more than a doctor and his sexuality.
I laughed and cried and related to the characters in a way I never expected, they are so believable you feel as if you actually know them.
I read did enjoy this story and was captivated from the beginning. It is full of words that have such meaning you feel the force of them as if you've been punched and educated at the same time
Jake Wells is extremely talented and has managed to write a amazing story that I defy anyone to not to be profoundly moved by yet at the same time find parts that are so funny and uplifting you can not stop smiling.
Highly Recommended!