Colour Name: blackStyle Name: Without HRMChange

on 14 December 2014
I spent months deliberating over buying a GPS watch. I started running more seriously over the last year and have completed both the half and full marathon distances.
Having used runkeeper on my iPhone I kept putting off buying a GPS device as I felt my phone already did it all for essentially free (especially since I would still need my phone to listen to music). I also found the range of GPS devices confusing and was unsure of what features I would actually need. having spoken to people with GPS devices I decided to take the plunge and I'm so glad I did.
setting up the watch is so easy. to be honest I've yet to read the instructions (maybe since I'd read so much about it before buying it). checking the watch during running is only a glance as opposed to having to unlock and turn around my phone on the armband. heart rate information is useful and I will use this more when I again start marathon training. workouts and courses can be devised on the website and sent to the device when paired with my phone. Pairing with the heart rate monitor and my phone are very simple.
although some reviews have said that it picks up satellites in seconds I find its a few minutes so I just set the watch outside on the windowsill whilst getting ready and its good to go when I am.
I picked the 220 as its the latest model and as such the latest technology therefore by my logic should be more future proof.
I've heard that the accuracy indoors on a treadmill can be quite poor but I haven't tried this yet.
the garmin connect app and website are easy to use and provide all the information I cold possibly use.
0Comment52 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2015
Had my Forerunner 220 GPS for just over a week and am really pleased with it. I'm an improving runner and have done some 10k races and a half marathon. Having previously used MapMy Run on my smartphone and been really frustrated having to stop/start it, the Forerunner is a delight and very easy to use. Particularly like the alerts, the medals when you finish, and the fact it displays 3 things at once. Takes a minute or two to find a GPS signal but then seems to track the run accurately. I've a small wrist and it fits fine. The battery was partly charged when it arrived and took less than half an hour to charge fully; since then I've done a few runs (about an hour in length) and switched it to watch mode to save battery, and still have over half charge left. Can't imagine being without it now!!
on 28 January 2014
I love running alone but would sometimes find it difficult to get motivated to do a run. This watch changed all of that. I use it's marathon training plan which gives you a calendar of events to stick to. This doesn't just include running but cross training, swimming, pilates, yoga etc.

I find myself at the mercy of the watch, if there's a run today on the calendar, I have to do it, I can't let the watch down. This may sound weird but it's me the world of good.

The GPS function is brilliant even to the point that you can see which side of the road you were running on.

Another perk are the medals (and a celebratory jingle) you get at the end of a run if you've achieved a personal best time or distance.

The first time you try to get a satellite signal can take about 5 minutes but all other connections since (in my case) have been within a minute or two.

The interface is great and the online interface is great too.

Although pricier than some other models I have to say I'm getting more out of the watch than I was expecting so I'd recommend it to anyone.
11 comment70 of 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2014
Just what you need be it for the amateur runner or for someone who takes it a little more seriously. Can’t fault the watch picks up a signal with easy and has never let me down. I love how you can then upload your runs to Garmin connect which allows you to track your progress – just great.
on 12 May 2015
Brilliant watch. Never been sure if i should spend the money on these or were they just a gimmick, but now after using for a month i would never be without it. Easy to set up and use with the tracking device being very usefull and great to follow. I would highly recommend this to anyone form beginners to experienced runners
on 22 May 2015
Really pleased with my Garmin 220,used instructions online as doesn't come with alot of info but once set up with my profile is easy to use,have a small wrist but design makes it fit well and is comfortable, large display is easy to read while running,haven't tried the heart rate monitor yet but would definitely recommend this watch,also easy to charge.
on 29 May 2014
Has superb functions, very accurate, great value for money. Did my research and chose this product above other garmin models and other brands. Stoked with the choice. Its a great product and will get a lot of use. Highly recommend.
on 26 July 2015
I initially purchases the Garmin 620 and once it arrived, I never got that feeling that you get with a brand-new 'toy.' It just didn't feel right with me. I set the 620 up and wore it for a bit to try and grow into it, but honestly, the touch-screen was a bit too much for me. I just didn't like the touch-screen aspect at all. Being a serious runner, I wanted a watch that gave me a lot, and the 620 was a bit too much i suppose. Although it has the race predictor and VO2 Max calculator, how can you be sure that its reliable?! I'm not saying don't buy it as it is an incredible GPS watch. If it didn't have the touch-screen and only the buttons, i would've probably kept it. If touch screen is your thing, then yes, buy it. So i sent it back and purchased (what i should have at the beginning) the FR220. It is an absolute bargain with the price. Awesome watch. Its basically the 620 without the touch-screen and wifi (and vo2 etc.) The 220 has a very simple user interface and at the price, it is an unbelievable bargain considering it is such a high-tech GPS watch. You can download your workout and/or calendar onto the device, and the bluetooth aspect also makes it much easier to upload runs onto Garmin Connect. The Garmin 220 is a must-have for all runners, especially at this price.
on 26 January 2014
This is my second Garmin gps (previously owned 610).
I took a long time to decide whether to buy either the updated 610 (620). Or this gps.
The functionality of the 220 is pretty much the same as the old 610 without the touch screen and virtual partner(which I didn't use anyway). I really liked the touch screen of 610, but decided I couldn't justify the extra £70 for 620, so opted for 220.

I have to say, I'm extremely pleased with my purchase. The screens are set up exactly as I would need. I haven't touched anything.
Screen 1 timer, pace and distance. Screen 2 lap time, pace and distance. It automatically pauses if I stop and goes again when I get going again. I know you can set the watch to be as you want it, but it's nice that I don't need to mess around with it.
I generally download to the computer to analyse pace etc, and all of this is pretty easy, once software installed.

Love the girlie colour, so nice to have something a bit more feminine after the bulky black 610.
The reason I had to upgrade from the 610, is because the strap broke because my wrist are only small(I suspect). I don't think I will have this problem with the new watch as the strap is really soft and flexible. The watch itself is so light compared to others, and I never have to wait for gps to connect to satalites. I press the button and off I go.

Another thing that is really good, the charge seems to last for ages. When charging the watch fits into the charger cradle really securely(in fact you could swing it around and it wouldn't full out). This is also used as the usb to plug into computer.

I have been using for about 3 weeks now, and haven't get found anything to dislike. Will update here if I do.

btw I ordered via Amazon from SimplyRun. The watch did take about a week to arrive despite it saying 2 days on website. So bare this in mind when ordering
0Comment43 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 11 April 2014
Colour Name: blackStyle Name: Without HRMVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I will say from the start I am an occasional runner but when I do it I like to have a bit of tech for motivation. My other watch is the Garmin Forerunner 405CX GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor which is obviously the (pun not intended) forerunner to the 220GPS, but they are really worlds apart. The 220 is far sleeker (the 405 was a monster on the wrist), GPS locks in almost instantly (and even in Canary Wharf which the 405 never did first or second time) and it holds a lot more charge.

The joy for me in the watch (like most people) is that I can keep an eye on how I am doing, which obviously gives me an incentive to keep pace, or, less likely, to slow down. The option to give your friends live updates is, for me, too gimmicky for words (who really cares!) but I like the option to upload to a PC.

I have used the watch on a treadmill and it is very accurate, virtually the same as the machine, which is where I will use it most (defeating the need for GPS of course!).

It is a shame there is not a built in heart monitor but I guess technically this is quite difficult. I haven't tried my old monitor yet but hope this works.

Overall this is a watch I will use a lot, an amazing bit of tech in a small package.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse