5.0 out of 5 stars love it!
I spent months deliberating over buying a GPS watch. I started running more seriously over the last year and have completed both the half and full marathon distances.
Published 5 months ago by doc-wannabe

2.0 out of 5 stars Good features but lacks accuracy and support
The watch and functions are fine. However the big but is the website Garmin Connect is consistently slow to upload and edit data. Also customer support is slow and unhelpful with generic responses - e.g. query: "Bluetooth connection doesn't work", answer: "carry out reset", and 7 days for them to email me that!!

Also a lap of my local athletics...
Published 2 months ago by Robin

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, 14 Dec. 2014
Having used runkeeper on my iPhone I kept putting off buying a GPS device as I felt my phone already did it all for essentially free (especially since I would still need my phone to listen to music). I also found the range of GPS devices confusing and was unsure of what features I would actually need. having spoken to people with GPS devices I decided to take the plunge and I'm so glad I did.
setting up the watch is so easy. to be honest I've yet to read the instructions (maybe since I'd read so much about it before buying it). checking the watch during running is only a glance as opposed to having to unlock and turn around my phone on the armband. heart rate information is useful and I will use this more when I again start marathon training. workouts and courses can be devised on the website and sent to the device when paired with my phone. Pairing with the heart rate monitor and my phone are very simple.
although some reviews have said that it picks up satellites in seconds I find its a few minutes so I just set the watch outside on the windowsill whilst getting ready and its good to go when I am.
I picked the 220 as its the latest model and as such the latest technology therefore by my logic should be more future proof.
I've heard that the accuracy indoors on a treadmill can be quite poor but I haven't tried this yet.
the garmin connect app and website are easy to use and provide all the information I cold possibly use.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best motivator, 28 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 220 GPS Running Watch with Colour Display - Black/Red (Electronics)
I love running alone but would sometimes find it difficult to get motivated to do a run. This watch changed all of that. I use it's marathon training plan which gives you a calendar of events to stick to. This doesn't just include running but cross training, swimming, pilates, yoga etc.

I find myself at the mercy of the watch, if there's a run today on the calendar, I have to do it, I can't let the watch down. This may sound weird but it's me the world of good.

The GPS function is brilliant even to the point that you can see which side of the road you were running on.

Another perk are the medals (and a celebratory jingle) you get at the end of a run if you've achieved a personal best time or distance.

The first time you try to get a satellite signal can take about 5 minutes but all other connections since (in my case) have been within a minute or two.

The interface is great and the online interface is great too.

Although pricier than some other models I have to say I'm getting more out of the watch than I was expecting so I'd recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars they are waterproof and a child could use them easy and intuitive, 5 July 2014
wev'e got two of these for me and my wife....they are waterproof and a child could use them easy and intuitive, they look great to....not to big get these or similar....6x Savvies SU75 UltraClear Screen Protector for Garmin Forerunner 220

4.0 out of 5 stars A great gps watch but difficult to connect to the App., 14 Sept. 2014
A great watch the screen is nice and clear, although the colours are not that bright. But for tracking my runs its prefect, giving good info on how you have done. The only downside I've found it doesn't connect to the Garmin Connect App on my iPhone when the bluetooth is on. I have to remove the device and re-install it. Reading the forums it appears this is a common problem!

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy Customer - purchased from SimplyRun via Amazon, 26 Jan. 2014
This is my second Garmin gps (previously owned 610).
I took a long time to decide whether to buy either the updated 610 (620). Or this gps.
The functionality of the 220 is pretty much the same as the old 610 without the touch screen and virtual partner(which I didn't use anyway). I really liked the touch screen of 610, but decided I couldn't justify the extra £70 for 620, so opted for 220.

I have to say, I'm extremely pleased with my purchase. The screens are set up exactly as I would need. I haven't touched anything.
Screen 1 timer, pace and distance. Screen 2 lap time, pace and distance. It automatically pauses if I stop and goes again when I get going again. I know you can set the watch to be as you want it, but it's nice that I don't need to mess around with it.
I generally download to the computer to analyse pace etc, and all of this is pretty easy, once software installed.

Love the girlie colour, so nice to have something a bit more feminine after the bulky black 610.
The reason I had to upgrade from the 610, is because the strap broke because my wrist are only small(I suspect). I don't think I will have this problem with the new watch as the strap is really soft and flexible. The watch itself is so light compared to others, and I never have to wait for gps to connect to satalites. I press the button and off I go.

Another thing that is really good, the charge seems to last for ages. When charging the watch fits into the charger cradle really securely(in fact you could swing it around and it wouldn't full out). This is also used as the usb to plug into computer.

I have been using for about 3 weeks now, and haven't get found anything to dislike. Will update here if I do.

btw I ordered via Amazon from SimplyRun. The watch did take about a week to arrive despite it saying 2 days on website. So bare this in mind when ordering

2.0 out of 5 stars Good features but lacks accuracy and support, 5 Mar. 2015

Also a lap of my local athletics track seems to be 410m so GPS not quite accurate.

Can't compare to other watches as this is the only one I've owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant runners watch, 20 May 2015
The Garmin Forerunner 220 was everything that I wanted in a running watch.....and more!!! Did a LOT of homework on reviews of all the Garmin range that was within my budget. Decided on the 220 from reviews & the Garmin Forerunner 220 video on the web.
Upon receiving it, the 220 was very easy to pair with my iPhone, Strava, HR monitor! Using the 220's modes is again very easy with simple menus that scroll on the watch face.
The 220 is overall, very easy to use and to be honest, I wanted a running watch that gives me what Strava gives me but at a glance instead of waiting for the run to finish and then looking at the results. The 220 has actually helped me improve my times as it beeps at 1 mile intervals and shows me my time per mile. Also HR is an added extra I haven't used but helps in moderating Tempo & Threshold levels!
Finally I used the Forerunner 220 on the Leeds half marathon......it never missed a beat.....or a step.....or a mile!! Downloads immediately to both Strava & Garmin Connect with stats that are both helpful and simple to view.
If you're after a decent running watch but don't want to pay a shed load, review the 220. Simple to use but everything a runner needs.

2.0 out of 5 stars A very frustrating experience, 13 Aug. 2014
I have been running regularly for over 7 years and currently train for the half-marathon distance. I have been using this watch for almost 8 months. All the features of the 220 sounded great to me before I bought it and they still sound good and they would be good, if only they would work!
The main reason I bought the Forerunner 220 was to support my interval training. But the pace displayed by my Forerunner 220 is often unreliable - it takes ages (60-90 seconds) to adjust the pace whenever I change from a slow jog to a tempo-run or sprint and vice versa. Because of the pace problems, interval-training is no fun at all. I sent my 220 back but Garmin said it was not defect and returned it. After a software update the time lags are not quite as bad as before (now "only" 30-45s) but they are still there and still spoil my interval training.
My experience with Garmin technical support ? - I made 8 contacts over 21 days and got just one standard reply. So I went on to the forums at the Garmin site to find help only to find out that there are lots of people complaining about the exact same problems that I have. After 8 months my 220 has had 4 software- and 1 GPS-firmware update. Granted, some problems have been improved or solved but new ones have arisen. With the latest update, the Forerunner 220 reboots spontaneously, sometimes right before the end of a run. Not only does this ruin my day but I also lose any data on the run and on previous runs not already synced to my PC.
My advice - I would suggest to you to look at other products or wait until Garmin iron out all the bugs with the Forerunner 220. Until then, unfortunately I cannot recommend this watch to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable Could Break Down at Any Time, 21 April 2015
I had this watch for approx a year & it's just clunked out, wouldn't charge, simply displaying 100 % when attaching to the charger, but as soon as i took it off the battery would go dead within a minute. Also when it was working, i had to reformat it every so often for the gps to work. I'm gutted this watch only lasted a year, as it's expensive, i'd seriously reconsider buying Garmin products again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant watch. Never been sure if i should spend ..., 12 May 2015
Brilliant watch. Never been sure if i should spend the money on these or were they just a gimmick, but now after using for a month i would never be without it. Easy to set up and use with the tracking device being very usefull and great to follow. I would highly recommend this to anyone form beginners to experienced runners