5.0 out of 5 stars love it!
I spent months deliberating over buying a GPS watch. I started running more seriously over the last year and have completed both the half and full marathon distances.
Published 4 months ago by doc-wannabe

2.0 out of 5 stars A very frustrating experience
I have been running regularly for over 7 years and currently train for the half-marathon distance. I have been using this watch for almost 8 months. All the features of the 220 sounded great to me before I bought it and they still sound good and they would be good, if only they would work!
The main reason I bought the Forerunner 220 was to support my interval...
Published 8 months ago by DoctorSaunders

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, 14 Dec. 2014
Having used runkeeper on my iPhone I kept putting off buying a GPS device as I felt my phone already did it all for essentially free (especially since I would still need my phone to listen to music). I also found the range of GPS devices confusing and was unsure of what features I would actually need. having spoken to people with GPS devices I decided to take the plunge and I'm so glad I did.
setting up the watch is so easy. to be honest I've yet to read the instructions (maybe since I'd read so much about it before buying it). checking the watch during running is only a glance as opposed to having to unlock and turn around my phone on the armband. heart rate information is useful and I will use this more when I again start marathon training. workouts and courses can be devised on the website and sent to the device when paired with my phone. Pairing with the heart rate monitor and my phone are very simple.
although some reviews have said that it picks up satellites in seconds I find its a few minutes so I just set the watch outside on the windowsill whilst getting ready and its good to go when I am.
I picked the 220 as its the latest model and as such the latest technology therefore by my logic should be more future proof.
I've heard that the accuracy indoors on a treadmill can be quite poor but I haven't tried this yet.
the garmin connect app and website are easy to use and provide all the information I cold possibly use.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best motivator, 28 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 220 GPS Running Watch with Colour Display - Black/Red (Electronics)
I love running alone but would sometimes find it difficult to get motivated to do a run. This watch changed all of that. I use it's marathon training plan which gives you a calendar of events to stick to. This doesn't just include running but cross training, swimming, pilates, yoga etc.

I find myself at the mercy of the watch, if there's a run today on the calendar, I have to do it, I can't let the watch down. This may sound weird but it's me the world of good.

The GPS function is brilliant even to the point that you can see which side of the road you were running on.

Another perk are the medals (and a celebratory jingle) you get at the end of a run if you've achieved a personal best time or distance.

The first time you try to get a satellite signal can take about 5 minutes but all other connections since (in my case) have been within a minute or two.

The interface is great and the online interface is great too.

Although pricier than some other models I have to say I'm getting more out of the watch than I was expecting so I'd recommend it to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars A very frustrating experience, 13 Aug. 2014
The main reason I bought the Forerunner 220 was to support my interval training. But the pace displayed by my Forerunner 220 is often unreliable - it takes ages (60-90 seconds) to adjust the pace whenever I change from a slow jog to a tempo-run or sprint and vice versa. Because of the pace problems, interval-training is no fun at all. I sent my 220 back but Garmin said it was not defect and returned it. After a software update the time lags are not quite as bad as before (now "only" 30-45s) but they are still there and still spoil my interval training.
My experience with Garmin technical support ? - I made 8 contacts over 21 days and got just one standard reply. So I went on to the forums at the Garmin site to find help only to find out that there are lots of people complaining about the exact same problems that I have. After 8 months my 220 has had 4 software- and 1 GPS-firmware update. Granted, some problems have been improved or solved but new ones have arisen. With the latest update, the Forerunner 220 reboots spontaneously, sometimes right before the end of a run. Not only does this ruin my day but I also lose any data on the run and on previous runs not already synced to my PC.
My advice - I would suggest to you to look at other products or wait until Garmin iron out all the bugs with the Forerunner 220. Until then, unfortunately I cannot recommend this watch to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab bit of kit, 16 Oct. 2014
Does everything I would want from a Garmin. No problems with the GPS, connects quickly with the app on my phone and seems to be accurate with all its information. Even telling me on my first half marathon that the mile markers were completely out!!

5.0 out of 5 stars they are waterproof and a child could use them easy and intuitive, 5 July 2014
wev'e got two of these for me and my wife....they are waterproof and a child could use them easy and intuitive, they look great to....not to big get these or similar....6x Savvies SU75 UltraClear Screen Protector for Garmin Forerunner 220

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, stylish, easy to use, great training partner. Charge by the mains unless you want to wait ages though!, 21 Mar. 2015
Initially disappointed by super slow charging time via USB to computer (as advised) and the fact that there is no Virtual Pacer feature, which was one of the main reasons I bought this and it shows in the comparison chart on the Amazon page that the 220 has this feature.

But I've now used this twice and I love it. It picks up satellites instantly. I've not had to wait. The strap is very comfortable - I've hesitated buying a GPS running watch before as they are all quite chunky and I have skinny wrists. It has a clear display and is dead easy to use, even for a non-techy person like me. I found the Garmin Connect site fine. The 'lowest pace' alert does pretty much the same job as the Virtual Pacer too. I've yet to explore all the features or to use training plans / workouts but these seem like good options, especially for interval training. I now charge the watch from the mains which works fine. Charging by PC is very slow.

I'd say this is a great all round watch. Simple enough to use for beginners but enough features for more established runners. And at the reduced price of £145 I think it was a good deal. It looks fab too!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great gps watch but difficult to connect to the App., 14 Sept. 2014
A great watch the screen is nice and clear, although the colours are not that bright. But for tracking my runs its prefect, giving good info on how you have done. The only downside I've found it doesn't connect to the Garmin Connect App on my iPhone when the bluetooth is on. I have to remove the device and re-install it. Reading the forums it appears this is a common problem!

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy Customer - purchased from SimplyRun via Amazon, 26 Jan. 2014
This is my second Garmin gps (previously owned 610).
I took a long time to decide whether to buy either the updated 610 (620). Or this gps.
The functionality of the 220 is pretty much the same as the old 610 without the touch screen and virtual partner(which I didn't use anyway). I really liked the touch screen of 610, but decided I couldn't justify the extra £70 for 620, so opted for 220.

I have to say, I'm extremely pleased with my purchase. The screens are set up exactly as I would need. I haven't touched anything.
Screen 1 timer, pace and distance. Screen 2 lap time, pace and distance. It automatically pauses if I stop and goes again when I get going again. I know you can set the watch to be as you want it, but it's nice that I don't need to mess around with it.
I generally download to the computer to analyse pace etc, and all of this is pretty easy, once software installed.

Love the girlie colour, so nice to have something a bit more feminine after the bulky black 610.
The reason I had to upgrade from the 610, is because the strap broke because my wrist are only small(I suspect). I don't think I will have this problem with the new watch as the strap is really soft and flexible. The watch itself is so light compared to others, and I never have to wait for gps to connect to satalites. I press the button and off I go.

Another thing that is really good, the charge seems to last for ages. When charging the watch fits into the charger cradle really securely(in fact you could swing it around and it wouldn't full out). This is also used as the usb to plug into computer.

I have been using for about 3 weeks now, and haven't get found anything to dislike. Will update here if I do.

btw I ordered via Amazon from SimplyRun. The watch did take about a week to arrive despite it saying 2 days on website. So bare this in mind when ordering

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, 25 Mar. 2015
I love this watch. I've been using it for nearly a year now and wouldn't run without it. I've got small wrists and it fits very well and it's so light you don't know you are wearing it. The speed monitor is great, really pushes you on. Auto pause is good, but it does loose time if you loose signal with this turned on. It's usually very quick to connect to the satellite, often connecting in the house before going out. The Garmin App isn't too good, but you can get the important data. Only downside is it doesn't automatically sync to smartphones with older bluetooth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good features but lacks accuracy and support, 5 Mar. 2015
The watch and functions are fine. However the big but is the website Garmin Connect is consistently slow to upload and edit data. Also customer support is slow and unhelpful with generic responses - e.g. query: "Bluetooth connection doesn't work", answer: "carry out reset", and 7 days for them to email me that!!

Also a lap of my local athletics track seems to be 410m so GPS not quite accurate.

Can't compare to other watches as this is the only one I've owned.