Avril Lavigne [Explicit]
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£5.99

on 17 November 2013
Well as a massive avril fan it saddens me to say that avril's last album was not great, or even very good. With it being a slow often uninteresting album. But this album combines all of the tricks that made her first three albums great. Taking happy anthem sounds from 'the best damn thing' with lyrics that some what reminiscent of 'under my skin' rounded off by the summer like vibe of 'let go'.
These songs are exciting and lyrically are much better than her last outing with her vocals somewhat returning to her first days. A brilliant album with diverse sounds track to track, meaning there is something for everyone. My track picks being 'hello heartache' and 'bitchin summer'
on 25 December 2013
Having anticipated this album since Here's To Never Growing Up was released, I'll have to admit that I thought that this album was only going to contain very energetic and purely pop songs, as the first two singles were very similar.

1.Rock N Roll 8/10- It took quite a few listens for me to really get into it, but after giving it a try, I feel like it serves as a great opening track to the album.
2. Here's To Never Growing Up 8/10 - A very high-energy track that will have everyone singing along with the chorus. For me it serves as the 'Accept me for who I am or get lost' anthem for this album
3. 17 10/10 - This serves as reminiscing love song on the album. This song isn't the typical love song, as it isn't full of emotion, but almost an element of thanks given by Avril for what seems to have been one of the best years of her life.
4. Bitchin' Summer 9/10: Despite the theme and lyrics of the song, this song seems to have "summer anthem" written all over it, I enjoyed the rap Avril does as part of the lead up to the final chorus. This song, if promoted right, could potentially be a great single.
5. Let Me Go 10/10 - I was a bit concerned when I heard that Chad and Avril were recording a duet for her album, as I thought it was going to be a very over-emotional, soppy love song, but I couldn't have been more wrong. This is one of my personal favourites from the album and the balance of perspectives presented in the song couldn't have been more perfectly.
6. Give You What You Like 10/10 - This is a stand out track for me, as it shows a different side of Avril that hasn't been shown in her previous albums. I wouldn't be surprised if it was chosen to be released as the fourth single.
7. Bad Girl 8/10 - This also shows a different side of Avril, with a heavier sound than the rest of the album. Rather than being out of place on the album, this song completes the album, as it shows that Avril can still bring out the unexpected after ten years. For me, the inclusion of Marilyn Manson completes the song.
8. Hello Kitty 9/10 - This song shows another genre that Avril could experiment with in the future. This song is very catchy, due to the electronic sound, rather than a purely pop song and I expect it would do very well if it was released as a single.
9. You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet 7/10 - A very repetitive song that could easily end up being stuck in your head. I think it's a great song, but not one of the strongest on the album.
10. Sippin' On Sunshine 7/10 - Again, a very repetitive song that could easily end up being stuck in your head. It's a perfect song to play while the summer sun is shining, but still not one of the strongest songs on the album.
11. Hello Heartache 10/10 - A great song that reminds me of Avril's older albums. She expresses the painful loss of someone close to her, but reaffirms that they will always mean something to her, something that everyone could relate to.
12. Falling Fast 9/10 - A song about deeply falling for someone that you think is oh so right. Another song that everyone could also relate to. It is one of the songs that instead of being in-your-face, grabs your attention with purely the words of the song.
13. Hush Hush 10/10 - This song acts as a fantastic closing ballad to the song. With the soft piano during the verses and the drums during the chorus, it puts more emphasis on the different meanings on the song. It is definetly one of my favourite songs on the album.

Overall, if this album was promoted better and there were better single choices, this album would've been received better and would have charted better. I think it's such a shame that this album hasn't done better, as it is a fantastic album filled with variety and I would recommend it to anyone who I think would enjoy the album.
on 22 November 2013
For anyone that was disappointed with Avril's last output,this full of attitude offering should appease you. I have enjoyed everything she's done,but I suspect this could become my choice for her best. She has gone back to her early days,but harder and with that bit of fun that emits from several of her songs. Mostly up tempo,this really is an impressive release from someone that could've disappeared completely by now. Starting off with with ROCK AND ROLL as an introduction to what this album has to deliver,it moves onto the very honest HERE'S TO NEVER GROWING UP. Even when this album slows down a bit,it's still got that attitude with it. Sharing vocals with CHAD KROEGER on LET ME GO and MARILYN MANSON on BAD GIRL may seem an unwise choice on paper,but it works,she really holds her own with these rockers. You get the impression a lot of enjoyment went into making this,it's full of passion,punch and vigour,keeping the interest throughout. HELLO KITTY is an interesting turn with the Japanese theme adding spice to the whole thing,soon changing back into the previous style...and how. The album may well end with HUSH HUSH,but this unexpected little gem clearly refuses to,13 tracks with something to say.
There's no surprise in getting quality from an AVRIL LAVIGNE album,but this really grabs the attention it rightly deserves. Not for the easily offended,as there's some swearing going on,so perhaps not one for innocent ears.
With material like this,not only is AVRIL still here,she's stronger than she's ever been!
on 27 November 2013
Like many people have already written on here, this album seems to take a few playthroughs to grow on you.

Where I differ from most reviews on here is on Goodbye Lullaby - I think it's such an amazing album and has been in slot 5 of my car CD changer since Easter 2011 (which is impressive by my standards!)

At first I really thought Avril had dropped a huge clanger with this album, but it certainly grows on you and the diversity of tracks, while at first seem to make the album come across as rather jumbled, actually end up making it more enjoyable.

Give You What You Like (track 6) is completely mesmerising, and possibly the best song she has ever written. It's as close to perfect from Avril as I will ever hear. It certainly has similarities to I'm With You - both are very haunting by nature and also very brilliant.

It seems, by reading other reviews, that people have finally accepted that Avril is no longer 17, and cannot stay 17 and produce albums such as Let Go for the rest of her life. Ok, Lullaby might have been a little on the serious side but it had some really beautiful songs on it. This album really is a mix of all 4 previous albums.

It's been a great year for album releases. This is a must buy if you're remotely interested in Avril Lavigne.
on 9 November 2013
I wouldn't even dream of buying her earlier albums, 'cause I know what they sound like, "sk8r boy" and "girlfriend" and what not, these attract an audience slightly younger, there's nothing wrong with that I suppose. I, in fact, did bother with her previous effort; "Goodbye Lullaby" and was pleased that I did so as I thought some of the recordings on it were quite grown up, but here I can sense a bash at a different genre altogether, it's good that she included Marilyn Manson in her album 'cause she has shown that she can handle something totally different. Again with her duet with Chad, I feel something more grown up inside the album, pretty good piece of music as a whole and put well together. My opinion is; that this album will be quite successful and will most likely increase her audience capacity by age group. I almost don't care that the video for "Rock N Roll" makes me cringe! xD
on 2 February 2014
This album is amazing I love it, every song is beautiful especially "hush hush" and "hello heartache". She's such a gifted songwriter I loved her collaborations with chad and marylin Manson they were superb! I would recommend this album to anybody who is a fan of avrils or even if you are not then I would still listen to it you will not be disappointed with the songs I bought this as soon as it came out and it was worth every penny, I was not disappointed in any way as all of her albums have been amazing a true avril fan will really enjoy this I also really admire the change this album brings as most of the songs sound a lot different to her previous stuff but I love the change. Buy this album it's so good!
on 20 January 2014
Avril Lavigne's music keeps on evolving and improving,showing her vocal and style versatility.
I love all her albums and would be hard pressed to name a favourite one or a favourite song.
It is great that the gifted Avril is not afraid to experiment musically,and feature some surprising duets on her albums:who would have envisaged her collaboration with Marilyn Manson!!
This wicked album features my theme tune in life in the excellent track Here's To Never Growing Up.
I highly recommend this album to fans of Avril and suggest that those unfamiliar with her work give this great album a spin
vonl
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
"Avril Lavigne" by Avril Lavigne contains songs of the heart that touch on the many emotional spectrums of being in love and navigating through the test of life. The music tunes are sprinkled with pop and rock, which complement her voice pretty well. Give What You Like, Sippin On Sunshine, and You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet are among some of my favorite songs from "Avril Lavigne" due to the cheerful messages in the songs. However, "Avril Lavigne" by Avril Lavigne also contains other types of songs that would appeal to other sides, such as the rebellious via such tunes as "Bad Girl" and "Fallin Fast."
on 15 November 2013
I have all four previous albums from Avril and can honestly say they are all consistently excellent - you can put them on and let them play from start to finish without wanting to skip any songs. Could she do it a 5th time? I am very pleased to say - YES - and this could actually be her best album to date - absolutely stunning and she shows off her varied vocal talents to fine perfection - creating a different tone to several of the songs. BRILLIANT! One of the best albums I have ever bought. There is also a duet with her fiance Chad Kroeger.
on 7 December 2013
All is Avril, no doubt but some songs give at least me som distinct associations. This is how I would describe it. Rock n' Roll, Bad Girl and the melodic ballad Give You What You Like sounds distinctly Avril. Let Me Go sounds Nickelback, obvioulsy. Then there is 17, very Kathy Perry to me (I'm just saying), Bitchin' Summer and You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet are countrylike a bit "T Swiftish". Some dance stuff in the middle and then there are som nice ballads again at the end like Falling Fast and Hush Hush.