5.0 out of 5 stars Locke Lamora Returns
*** This review contains potential spoilers if you haven't read books one and two in this series ***

The Republic of Thieves is essentially two books for the price of one.

Published 10 months ago by Pablo Cheesecake (The Eloquent...

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little disappointng
Having reread the first two books in preparation for the third adventure of Locke and his best friend Jean Tannen, I was left feeling a bit disappointed by this latest tale.
Published 9 months ago by Book Addict

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little disappointng, 6 Nov 2013
Book Addict "jackie" (ABERGAVENNY, MONMOUTHSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
In the first two books Locke is portrayed as a loveable scamp, But in this book I found him to be a bit of a wet blanket. he only really came to life in the scenes with his long lost love Sabetha. Here. the dialogue was crisp and witty, sometimes laugh out loud. But through the rest of the book I wanted to shake him out of his self indulgent introspection. His best friend had just lost the love of his life, and I know that Locke was suffering the effect of the poison given him in book two, but really he offered no support to poor Jean.
I think that what I am trying to say, is that until this book I genuinely liked Locke, but now I don't. And it is difficult to get enthusiastic about a book when the reader finds the main character unsympathetic and unlikeable.
The large indigestible chunks of 'faux' Shakespearian style play were also boring to read and in my opinion added nothing to the book.
I wasn't to keen on the switching back and forth from the present to the past either. Though it did make the story a little more interesting. because the plot of this book which dealt with rigging an election was a bit thin.
I will read the next book but I'm not waiting with such eager anticipation as I was for this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Locke Lamora Returns, 10 Oct 2013

The Republic of Thieves is essentially two books for the price of one.

The first follows on directly from the events of Red Seas Under Red Skies. Locke and Jean are on the run, attempting to avoid the fallout from their last scheme that went slightly awry. Becoming powerbrokers in the political arena seems a sensible idea, at least at first. The arrival of an old friend however adds an unexpected wrinkle to their latest "fool proof" plot.

The second narrative strand goes back in time and follows the teenage Gentleman Bastards as they take to the stage. Their ever-enigmatic mentor, Father Chains, demands they leave Camorr for the summer and assist an old acquaintance with his troupe of slightly deranged actors.

For a while now Mr. Lynch has lead us a delightfully merry dance. The character of Sabetha Belacoros has been mentioned in passing multiple times, but has never really been fully explored. Sabetha has been the lingering shadow that has hung over Locke's past. She's the one that got away, as it were. Finally meeting her has been a long time coming, and her introduction is handled wonderfully.

I've been trying to think of the best way to adequately describe the connection that exists between Sabetha and Locke. The closest thing I can equate it to is the relationship that Sherlock Holmes has with Irene Adler. The verbal sparring, where they continually try to outdo one another is a joy. Locke has more than met his match and I reckon, much as he would try and deny it, in his heart he knows it. To use a more modern analogy, if I was to try and describe what was going on with them both on Facebook, the status of their relationship would be "it's complicated". Their interactions fill in many of those lovely little deliberate blanks that appear in previous novels. Knowing Sabetha helps the reader to better understand both Locke and also Jean.

There have also been fleeting glimpses of the Bondsmagi in the past but their murky motives have never really been revealed. In this book we finally get to learn some of the inner workings of this most secret society. Turns out that magical practitioners are a tricky bunch, who'd a thunk it?, and the Gentleman Bastards feature heavily in their plans. Poor old Locke and Jean, they can't catch a break.

It appears that those carrot-dangling days of teasing us aren't over quite yet. It's true that some of secrets we've longed to discover finally see something close to daylight, sort of but there are still many more mysteries that are not yet resolved. Locke's mysterious origins and his ultimate fate are danced around but it appears that Lynch ain't done messing with our heads.

In The Republic of Thieves, it feels like Locke, Jean and company have finally come of age. We get to see them as awkward teens and then as the more confident adult versions of themselves. Lynch's writing excels when it comes to character evolution. It's so fluid and natural you're never going to question it.

I'll happily come clean and admit overt fanboyishness when it comes to this particular series. I've been waiting for this novel and now that it's here it doesn't disappoint. The Gentlemen Bastards have finally returned and I couldn't be happier.

I'll finish with a personal plea if I may - Mr. Lynch, ignore any of the haters out there. Like most readers, I'm a patient soul. You take as long as you need for your next book. All us true fans will be here waiting, because we know it's gonna be worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 16 Oct 2013
Again Scott Lynch works wonders in the world of Locke Lamora, part of me wishes I hadn't read it yet so I could read it all again a first time. I don't know when the sequel is due to be released, but I do know that it cannot be soon enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Third book syndrome?, 3 Feb 2014
While the first two books were full of intrigue, plots, lies, twists and surprises, this book feels sort of one dimensional in comparison. The plotting and scheming take second place to a character background saga which does not fit with the other two books. I should have realised it was going like this when fully 30% of this novel deals with how Locke gets out of the certain death he faced at the the end of the second book. The remaining two thirds is split between his present 'adventure' and a historical background about his early life. This does not leave any time for the complex scheming and surprises found in the first two novels and so it turns out to be just a quite well written story which seems to be a link to the next book.

Overall, I was expecting more. I am now wondering whether to read the 4th book when it comes out - I will probably wait to see the review comments

3.0 out of 5 stars The Play's the Thing, 24 Nov 2013
Michael Andrew Wall (West Mids, UK) - See all my reviews
Suffers from the same problem as Red Seas... in that it does not hold a candle to the original book. The revelation of Locke 's past and the return of an old enemy during the epilogue seem shoe-horned in as an excuse to extend the series. Each book loses more of what made the first so awesome. The flashback is more interesting than the actual continuation of the present day plotline, but there were whole chapters dedicated to the characters performing a play. This is a book that seems to go nowhere but is still recommended for the interaction between Locke, Jean and Sabetha.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, shame about the editing, 26 Oct 2013
I really enjoyed the book - very much in keeping with the quality of the previous 2 with the added bonus that the author has had more experience and his writing style has smoothed out.

My only problem is that the kindle version had a problem where the word "stories" was replaced with "storeys" throughout the entire book. Very jarring and I suspect that it'll be my lingering memory rather that the story itself!

2.0 out of 5 stars a tangled mess, 3 July 2014
Richard (Sevenoaks, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A complete mess of a story that dwells on parts that are I interesting and skates over the interesting parts. After the excellent lies of ll this is a crushing disappointment

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the previous novels, 31 Dec 2013
Disappointing. It read as though the author has 'run out of steam' . Certainly not up to the standard of the first two books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are just getting better and better, 16 July 2014
These are just getting better and better. I had some feeling that Mr Lynch is putting his characters histories in place as he goes - but it all works and I'm now hanging on for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth the wait, 14 Oct 2013
Scott Lynch is one of my favorite writers and while the first novel will always remain the best, simply because it was the first I read, I'd have to have Lynch's gift to express in words how much I enjoyed returning to Locke Lamora's world. The wait has been a long one but I do not resent it. I have no doubt the book is better for it. Something this much fun takes time.

As someone who suffers from an autistic condition I have an uncontrollable tic when reading something that fully engrosses me (a spasm/wave of my right hand). The more I enjoy the book the more uncontrollable the tic. The only reason I was unable to complete this book in a day was that I was unable to hold my iPad for large portions of the day due to that tic (and fear of the damage to the device in question).

Buy all the Gentlemen Bastard books If you have not already. You will not regret it.