5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive
From the first chapter I was hooked. The pace roared along making it a real page-turner. A thoroughly enjoyable and intelligent read - a rare combination. Being at times dark, without being overly so, made it utterly absorbing. Great characters with amusing banter and didn't see the end coming. A definite five star.
Published on 7 April 2006

1.0 out of 5 stars All I Ever Wanted Was this Book to End
This book is terrible. The characters are paper thin, none of the plot or characterization is left to the imagination, and the writing is pathetic. I don't know who read the transcript and thought "Yes, this should be a contribution to the world of literature" but that person needs to be fired or retire because I was offended when I opened this book. How on Earth did...
Published on 9 July 2011 by molotovkin

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive, 7 April 2006

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dark Side of the 'Ugly Duckling' Story, 20 May 2007
Foggy Tewsday - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: All She Ever Wanted (Paperback)
Tina is a bright and imaginative child. She is a daddy's girl. But one day, her father walks out of her life. Tina is relentlessly bullied at school and doesn't fare much better at home with her sullen mother. One thing Tina does have going for her is her intelligence. After one attack too many, the rage that Tina has bottled up over the years suddenly erupts in a verbal assault on her tormentor.

The old adage, "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is well and truly exposed for the nonsense that it is. Anyone who has been on the receiving end of the bullies' onslaught will surely empathise with Tina. Patrick Redmond's prose is bitingly accurate as he describes the girl's misery. However, after she manages to outsmart one bully, she is infused with self-confidence and takes on all-comers with her witty put-downs.

At first, I thought this would turn into a story of revenge similar to Martyn Bedford's excellent `Acts of Revision' where the main character takes revenge on the teachers who made his schooldays so hellish. However, `All She Ever Wanted' takes a different route towards its devastating conclusion.

In adulthood, Tina, now reinvented as Chrissie, has grown into a beautiful young woman. Now, she despise weakness, perceived or otherwise. Relationships are kept at arm's length; love equals weakness. Control must always be maintained, and a tongue-lashing to anyone who might break through her tough persona. Some of her bile-soaked insults, you feel sure, will end in violence, but those on the receiving end are remarkably forgiving. If the novel's lead character had been male, this would have been a much greater flaw than it is here.

This is an engrossing psychological thriller that could perhaps have benefitted from a little more editing. There are times when the story seems to read more like a soap-opera than a thriller as we follow Chrissie from one social encounter to another: bars, restaurants and parties feature a lot. However, the author really succeeds in keeping the tension simmering. In all the social whirl, you know it's only a matter of time before something horrible is going to happen.

This is the first time I've read a Patrick Redmond novel, so I can't give an opinion as to whether or not this novel is any better or worse than his other work. I can say that he's an excellent writer. He has a particular talent with dialogue and is not afraid to allow the characters to develop through conversation rather than descriptive narrative. I'll certainly be reading more of his work. I'd also recommend the aforementioned Martyn Bedford's `Acts of Revsion' and Jonathan Baine's `Unwound' which are also excellent character-driven thrillers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 21 May 2006
mojo (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All She Ever Wanted (Paperback)
This book was addictive. It has given me bags under the eyes because I found myself reading it so late into the night. Tina, the main character, was very well constructed. I found myself disliking her, and I am not sure if that was what the author intended. The writing flows so well, and the story is so well crafted that it is a real joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fast-paced psychological thriller, 2 April 2007
Ms. L. J. Mountford (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All She Ever Wanted (Paperback)
Patrick Redmond has done it again! What a book. I think this may be his best to date - I started reading at 11pm on the day I bought it, couldn't bring myself to stop until 5am when I had finished, and I wanted to start reading from the beginning straight away afterwards. The main character is dark, the plot exciting, the twists numerous and cunning. There is nothing predictable about any of the characters and I was left reeling by the ending - wow.

The only bad thing is that I don't know when he will have another book out and I don't know what I will do with myself until then! READ THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling read., 6 April 2006
This review is from: All She Ever Wanted (Paperback)
This is the first book I have read from Patrick Redmond and I'm sorry I didn't discover him before. Great story line with true to life characters. Recommended for anyone who wants to think when they read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patrick Redmond's best yet! Mesmerising...., 16 Mar 2006
This review is from: All She Ever Wanted (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down for a moment. Patrick Redmond is a master of suspense and surprise ... he lulls you into a sense of false security and then - wham - slaps you with the twist at the end. His characters are superbly drawn. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars More please, Mr. Redmond!, 6 Feb 2008
This review is from: All She Ever Wanted (Paperback)
Once in a while (ok, a blue moon) you stumble across a book that makes you want to rush out and buy all of the authors other books. "All She Ever Wanted" is exactly one of these books.
It tells the story of Tina, a young child, loved by her father but ignored and unloved by her mother. Her father is her knight in shining armour, and his love is all she ever needs. Then, one day, her father walks out on the family, her world is brought crashing down, and her character starts to be moulded. We meet her again later, in London, as a sexy and sassy twentysomething, working in London, and enjoying the fast life and bright lights of London life. She has changed her name to Chrissie, and it seems that life is going well for her. However, behind the beautiful and charming exterior, lurks a very troubled mind which starts to cause Chrissie to spiral out of control....
I would describe this book as a dramatic psychological thriller. There are plenty of twists and turns, and it is easy to sympathise with Tina, and even later Chrissie.
If you haven't read Patrick Redmond's other 3 published books (The Wishing Game, The Puppet Show and Apple of My Eye)
then i recommend each book as being as good as each other and amongst the best of this genre i have ever read.
I gave "All She Ever Wanted" 5 stars. If i could have put a "+" by the 5, i would have.

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly intelligent writer, 27 Jun 2007
This review is from: All She Ever Wanted (Paperback)
A very dark and disturbing tale, but also highly believable. I found Redmond's style to be very pure and uncluttered which is quite refreshing. You can predict what's going to happen fairly early on but that didn't spoil the tension one bit. Brilliant!! I'm definitely on the hunt for his other books now.

4.0 out of 5 stars be careful what you wish for, 28 May 2014
L. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All She Ever Wanted (Kindle Edition)
clever and well plotted, any one who has ever wished to be famous should read this, an enjoyable light read

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping!, 18 May 2014
This review is from: All She Ever Wanted (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this, it's the second of Patrick Redmond's books I've read - and I'm now hooked! I love the way the main character, Tina developed and I couldn't put it down - I just had to find out what was going to happen next in her world! I found this an absolutely gripping book, I loved the story and thought it had a great ending! I'd recommend this to anyone!

All She Ever Wanted