5.0 out of 5 stars Another tremendously fun read
Marie and her family appear in another collection of scrapes and travails in the third of the "Narrow Thingy" books. If you enjoyed the first two, you'll love this. If you haven't yet read these, then you're in for a treat!
Published 14 months ago by Gareth Rees

1.0 out of 5 stars I found it a very boring read!
I think this book is in the wrong category. There is very little boating content. It's mainly about Maria and her family. Her daughter having a baby and the other passing her driving test, and her daughter moving out to live are not what I consider suitable contents for a boating book! I do not find this book inspiring. I found it a very boring read!
Published 4 months ago by Coffee Club

1.0 out of 5 stars I found it a very boring read!, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Narrow Escape - A Year of Highs and Lows on Narrowboat Minerva (Narrow Boat Books Book 3) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another tremendously fun read, 24 Oct 2013
Gareth Rees "Dr Toerag" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as book one, better than book two, 16 Oct 2014
This review is from: Narrow Escape (Paperback)
I bought the second and third books in this series after having been given Narrow Margins by a friend, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I didn't enjoy the second book in the series, finding it repetitive and being left with a feeling that Marie Browne was slightly over-exaggerating some events for the sake of a good story. I only read this third book because I'd already bought it, and actually found it much better than the second book in the series. It was interesting to catch up with Marie's family and find out what happened to them - I enjoyed reading about her family more than I did about the boat, which again felt a bit repetitive, having already read books one and two.

5.0 out of 5 stars You must read it, 1 Nov 2014
I have now read all three of Marie's books and I wish there were more ,I couldn't put any of them down and read one after the other ,I laughed out loud and was full of admiration of some of the problems the family encountered ,many of which would have sent most of us scuttling back to house dwelling fairly quickly ,
I have spent many holidays on narrow boats over the years and can relate to some of the happenings ,we often dreamt of living on a narrow boat or at least keeping our own for holidays etc ,we never did but reading the books perhaps we did not have the skills or calmness to have survived .
Funny ,entertaining ,easy to read ,not to be missed

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Will this book change your perspective on life', 29 July 2014
I have now read all three book in this lovely series and am left wanting to read more. I am not a "nosy" person, I just really like the way Marie Brown writes with such humour about their family journey through life on a "Narrow Boat" Life is not easy for this lovely family, however they cope amazingly in such a nice way and are just a "normal family" going through life in a different way from the majority of us.
After reading each book, which I read in sequence, I just wanted more and have just bought "Qualia" without even reading what it is about.

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed hearing about her family life though and would like ..., 6 Oct 2014
Residential Boating

Didn't find this as interesting as her first two books mainly because Minerva wasn't cruising at all and much of the tale revolves about issues with the new owners of their marina. A cautionary point for other would be live - aboards to reflect on - that currently they have no security of tenure and have to abide by the rules and regulations of their landlords who can (and often do) evict them from their moorings on a whim! I enjoyed hearing about her family life though and would like to know more about their adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the best books I've read for ages, 23 July 2014
I read Marie Brownes first canal book purely by accident but couldn't put it down. The first thing was the 'living the dream' aspect of selling up and living on a boat but the books draw you in to the reality and nuts and bolts side of it which makes all three boats compulsive reading. I loved hearing about her family and how they adapted and grew on the boat and laughed out loud at the slippy cow and ice incident along with other moments. Now I've finished the books I miss the Brownes so much! Thank you for sharing your lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Marie Brown's books, 6 Dec 2014
This one was so absorbing that when, in the middle of her description of the really bad winter that she and her family experienced, I opened the front door to get to the dust bin, I was surprised to find that there was no snow and ice piled up against the front hedge! This, like Narrow Minds and Narrow Margins, was a book that I couldn't put down and certainly didn't want to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful funny moving and your left feeling you almost know ..., 12 July 2014
Wonderful funny moving and your left feeling you almost know the family. Mrs Browne has probably done more for the narrowboat tourist trade than any other.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting story showing the highs and lows of ..., 12 July 2014
A very interesting story showing the highs and lows of live aboard narrowboat owners with all the hardships along the way. As a narrowboater myself for over 10 years but as a hirer not an owner so you do not realise the hardships during the winter.