The new iPad Air is Apple's latest, slimmest, lightest release of their hand-held computer. Oddly enough, it's so beautifully easy to use (my one year old daughter loves playing with it), it's almost doesn't feel like a computer at all.

Published 8 months ago by John Ryan

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an iPad - a must-buy for all people - but....
I give it a rating of 3 - since it has not exploded my computing experience to a higher level. Honestly - it's hype - and I knew it was. But everyone was saying so much "good" about the iPad - I had to wade in with my fingers crossed.

Published 7 months ago by V. Ago

5.0 out of 5 stars Very light, fast and beautiful. Is it the best tablet for you?, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Apple IPAD AIR WI-FI 32GB MD789FD/A 32 GB 1024 MB 9.7 -inch LCD (Personal Computers)

A word of warning - this review is written for people who've never owned an iPad before - and are wondering what all the fuss is about. If you're thinking of upgrading skip down to the "What's great about the Air" section below, or just buy it - it's amazing.

Just what's all the fuss about?
--------------------------------------

I used to own a laptop for work, and (very occasionally), it'd sit on my lap on the sofa, and I'd use it for pleasure (eMail, watching films or playing the odd game). Then I bought my first iPad, and the laptop became redundant, a boring "work device". Hard to explain, but the fact the iPad is so small and light, and you navigate around with your finger by pointing and gently swiping the screen makes the whole experience a lot easier - a lot more fun.

Even my most "luddite" of friends have been won over.

It's incredibly simple and easy to use (it only has one main button), and everyone from my one year old daughter to my 85 year old dad have taken to without problems. It's size and shape also support using it like a book (literally to read a book or web page), but you can also watch TV and films.

Personally I'm also paranoid about my password getting "hacked", and someone running up a huge Amazon bill or buying stuff with my credit card on eBay. Well one of the benefits of the iPad (and iPhone) is it's "almost impossible" to get a virus - one of the most common ways to get hacked. This doesn't mean you shouldn't use strong passwords, (both Sony and Adobe got hacked), but it's reassuring to leave the Windows world behind.

Finally, I love the way these devices (iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, Apple Mac), increasingly work together. The fact you can start a Pages document on your Mac and edit it on your iPad, or take photos on the iPhone, and in seconds see them on the iPad or Mac and display them on the Apple TV.

The thing is, "it just works".

What would you use if for?
----------------------------------

* Shopping online. Obviously - you could be reading a review on Amazon about the iPad Air!
* Reading web pages. As you can hold it like a book it's great to read the news online (my wife loves the Daily Mail Online).
* Reading Books. It's great for reading books from Amazon Kindle or Apple Books with the benefit of 1,000s of online book reviews
* Navigating web pages. Instead of clicking with a mouse, you gently swipe your fingers on screen to scroll around
* Watching Films. I use it to watch Netflix online videos (with an Apple TV you can send stuff to the telly)
* Watching TV. With the free BBC iPlayer app you can catch up or download BBC programs
* Reading and replying to mail. I use "mailbox" a great free app to read and reply to mails, but there's a free one included
* Showing and organising photos. Any photos on an iPhone are automatically available within minutes in "the cloud"
* Playing games. From fun puzzle games like "Cut the Rope" to fully fledged first person shooters.
* Listening to the Radio. With "Tune in Radio" you can listen to thousands of radio stations world-wide.
* Listening to music. I stream mine to an Apple TV, but you can also buy portable speakers or just plug into the AUX socket
* Editing Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents using FREE App "QuickOffice" (owned and supported by Google).
* Editing Pages, Numbers and Keynote documents (Office for the Apple) on the FREE Apple apps.
* The list goes on and on.

Update: You can edit Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents (plus Pages, Numbers and Keynote) on the iPad (although I'd recommend an external keyboard - see below). It's definately powerful enough, although I'd not expect these apps to cope with REALLY complex document layouts. Great for general letter and document writing though.

Which model should I buy?
----------------------------------

I can't comment about Android tablets (apart from the Google Nexus 7 which is well regarded), but in terms of the Apple tablet line-up in order of cost:-

1. Avoid the Apple iPad 2, it's a relatively old model, under-powered and with a lower resolution screen. If you really want an Apple but don't want to spend the cash, buy a 16g WIFI 3rd or 4th generation iPad from eBay. Avoid this one.
2. iPad mini is a lovely tablet. A 7.9 inch screen and astonishingly light and remarkably thin - it feels like a light-weight book.
3. iPad mini with retina screen. Again 7.9 inch screen, but with the blazingly fast A7 chip and a "retina" (high definition) screen. Worth the upgrade if you can afford it.
4. iPad Air. Much larger screen size (9.7 inches - doesn't sound much but it makes a huge difference). Same fast (A7) chip as the Mini with Retina - the latest and fastest iPad available.

Clearly (from my viewpoint) there's only really three options. The iPad Mini, the Mini with retina screen and Air.

What are the Optional add-ons?
-----------------------------------------

Well, assuming you've dropped by the Apple Store or John Lewis (which I would highly recommend), and handled the iPad Mini (with/without retina screen), and iPad Air then your options are around memory size and cellular option.

Memory: Once bought, you can't add memory (space for apps, films, books etc). However, the basic price goes up a huge amount (+80 for the 16g to 32g iPad Air). But, having owned a 16g and then a 32g iPad - I can safely recommend the 16g unless you really want to store a huge amount of videos and downloads. Only you can decide, and if you're lucky enough that money is no object then splash out. Otherwise, 16g should be fine for most people.

Celular: Allows you to connect to the internet while you're out and about. This will add an additional +100 to the price and means you can slip in a mobile phone SIM card. This means (for an additional 7-15 a month extra), you can access the internet on the move. Alternatively, you can opt for the WIFI option, and use it at home or at at "hot spot" (eg. Starbucks, most rail stations and hotels etc).

Personally I'd buy (and indeed did), the 16Gb iPad Air WIFI.

Do I need anything else?
-------------------------------

Most people (me included) buy a cover. Apple (and now several copy-cats) make a "smart-cover" which automatically shuts down the iPad when you close it, and switches it on when you open it. There's versions which cover the back, or just the screen. Apple charge from 35 to 65 for their (admittedly) high quality fabric or leather covers, but there's many available from 10. Be aware, you do get what you pay for.

Personally,I think it's a pity to cover the beautiful aluminium industrial design of the iPad with a cover - but if you've spent hundreds of pounds you'll want to protect it from scrapes and bangs.

I also invested in a keyboard (25-80), as I tend to write a lot of mails and documents (remember it comes with a word processor). I'd recommend the Logitech Ultra Thin iPad Air Case with Keyboard - Space Greyand the ZAGG Keys iPad Air Case Folio with Backlit Keyboard - Black although these are strictly optional unless you want to use your iPad as a proper laptop.

Finally, if you have another Apple device (eg. an iPhone, Apple TV or Mac) you'll find these work together beautifully. For example, you can create a reminder on your iPad and it appears on your iPhone. Equally, photos taken on your iPhone appear on your iPad, and you can stream music or videos from iPad, iPhone or Mac to an Apple TV.

Some people think this "locks you in" - but it's your choice.

What's great about the Air?
-----------------------------------

* Lighter (30%) and thinner than the previous version (469g from 650g)
* Even faster A7 chip. Blazingly fast!
* Improved sound (compared to the iPad 4)
* Software including
+ iMovie - edit and publish home made movies
+ Numbers - Fully functional Excel for the iPad
+ Pages - Word processor
+ GarageBand - Play a piano or a drum kit
+ iPhoto - Edit and organise your photos

What's not so great?
--------------------------

* The change in physical size means you'll need a new keyboard or replacement cover if you're upgrading
* Pity Apple didn't include the "touch ID" to secure your passwords

Overall Opinion
---------------------

It's hard to believe the iPad version 1 was released just four years ago, and there's a huge raft of "me too" tablet computers to choose from, but the Apple iPad Air is still the one to beat. As "Which?" magazine put it - "...the best tablet we've ever tested. Apple packs a beautiful screen and lightning fast processor into a slimmer-than-ever shell, and battery life is very impressive".

Yes, there are cheaper Android based alternatives, but the quality, design and beauty of this tablet just sets it apart. If it were a car it'd be a top of the range Mercedes or a BMW.

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best piece of kit I have ever owned, 19 Nov 2013
I was torn between buying the iPad Air and the Kindle Fire HDX, but after reading reviews all over the net I decided upon the Air 32gb in silver. Having never owned an Apple product before I wasn't really sure what to expect from it, but since I've had it - only four days - I've loved every single minute of using it.

Firstly it feels so nice to hold and use, the screen is superb and colours are really vibrant. Ease of use is also first class and things I thought would be hard to achieve - such as syncing four email addresses from my current PC - were actually a piece of cake.

Having used my son's Kindle Fire HD (I know it's not really comparable)I am amazed at how much Apple have crammed into such a slim and lightweight device. It's also mindbogglingly fast and everything works seamlessly and instantly. Battery life is very good and seems to last around 11 hours, although I'm yet to run it right down to zero.

If I had to be super picky and find something that Apple's boffin's could improve upon further, it would be sound quality at mid to high levels; it can sound a tiny bit tinny (although it still sounds better than anything I've owned before). This isn't really an issue for me as I usually listen at normal sound levels, or through headphones or WiFi speakers, and in these situations the sound quality is excellent, rich and deep.

Lastly, and I suspect this is true for most cameras and tablets on the market, the camera picture quality in low light situations can be somewhat grainy, however in normal light situations it's amazing good. Again this really doesn't bother me, but in the interests of giving a fair representation it has to be mentioned.

The App Store is excellent and easily better than any of the other stores.

I can easily say this is the best piece of kit I have ever owned, and I'm really pleased that I decided on the iPad Air. It may be more expensive than other tablets on the market, but I personally feel you are getting a lot of extra value for your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best tablet out there!, 26 Dec 2013
Sam L (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
After wanting an iPad since they came out (nearly 4 years ago!) I finaly decided that this Christmas I would get one... and it was certainly worth it! The Retina display is crystal clear, the A7 chip is super fast and apps load extremely quickly, surfing the web is incredibly quick thanks to MIMO technology and dual microphones make sure Siri always picks up what you say.

I decided to go with the Air over the Mini 2nd gen as I wanted a bigger screen, I chose the 32GB model in Silver & White as I've heard the Space Grey & Black model picks up scratches and chips really easily and I don't like the black bezel. Also, if you are planning on having films and quite a lot of apps then don't go with the 16GB model as it won't be enough.

One of my favourite features about the Air is the huge amount of optimised apps from the App Store available, most android apps are just scaled up phone apps which really puts me off, but with the Air Facebook and YouTube fill the whole screen and are amazing. Another great thing is the performance of the Air, extremely intensive apps such as the new GTA: San Andreas are beautifully smooth and look fantastic on the big 9.7 inch Retina Display, at 264 ppi (pixels per inch) it may not have as many pixels as other tablets, but you would never notice at all because you don't constantly have your face against the iPad as that would be ridiculous!

I love Safari, not only because it's so fluid and easy to use but because it's now so fast and snappy because of MIMO (Multiple In Multiple Out) and help from the A7 chip, intense web pages such as google images load so quickly. Apps load so fast and games like Temple Run 2 load in just seconds instead of 10's of seconds like on my iPod 5th gen with an A5 chip. Built in apps such as iMessage and Mail are great because they are made to make use of the large display and you can split the keyboard for typing so it's even easier to use.

The design of the Air sets it apart from any other tablet, the gorgeous aluminium back and the Apple logo which you can use as a mirror and even the camera cut out just make it better than the competition! It only weighs 469g (1 pound) and it's 7.5mm thin so it does not become uncomfortable after holding it for a while, also the thinner bezels do not effect the screen when your holding the sides of the device and just ignore any accidental touches. The volume and sleep/wake buttons make a lovely click when pressed, it is so beautifully crafted.

I wish people would stop moaning about how the back camera hasn't been improved to match the iPhone 5s's with slo-mo and all that, you look ridiculous taking photos with an iPad, so don't do it!

I only had my iPad one day and I already love it, yesterday (Christmas Day) I was on it most of the day (about 15 hours) and I didn't have to charge it even though I was watching videos, playing games like GTA and Temple Run 2 and downloading loads of apps!

Even though it comes at a hefty price you are buying a premium product and getting an amazing experience I'm sure you'll love, it's definitely worth it! I love mine and I can't wait for future updates and discovering more features, it is far better than any other tablet out there for many reasons, that's why I love it so much!!

Apps I recommend for iPad Air and iPad mini 2,

Heads Up
Flightradar 24 Pro
Cut The Rope 2
Sky Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Air, is the best available tablet in the market today, 11 Nov 2013
Since Apple announced the iPad Air and the new iPad mini I trully wanted to get my hands on these. Unlike the new iPad mini, the Air is available for anyone who wants to upgrade from the previous generations iPads or get an Apple tablet for the first time. I already own the 4th gen iPad , but I couldn t miss the newer edition for anything in the world, now that I knew it was lighter and more powerful.

No offence to the Android community, this iPad is hands down the best tablet in its category. Continue reading below and some of you may agree with me. :)

The latest generation of iPad, the iPad Air, took its name because of its weight and its form factor in general. Apple decided to reduce the weight and the bezel around the screen, managing to create a bigger...ipad mini. A sleek design of aluminum, packs a 9.7 inches display with the same retina resolution as the previous ones. The colours look alive and the photos look crispier as ever. The screen is responsive in every command without glitches or lagging; after all i can t remember of any Apple touchscreen product that ever had lagging issues.

Rear camera remain the same while the front camera is packing a 1.2 MP lens recording in 30fps. For some the same rear camera and the lack of a flash is a drawback while for others it doesn t matter at all. Personally, I would enjoy a flash on the iPad Air since there are moments I use it in darker environments where I want to take photos or record a video. Also, the lack of the slow motion recording that the iPhone 5s camera packs is a thing that its missing and will be probably added in the next gen.

In terms of audio quality, Apple added stereo speakers on this device, although you won t enjoy stereo surround when you hold the tablet in landscape since both of the speakers are located on the bottom side of the tablet. I think that not only iPad Air but tablets in general didn t do huge leaps improving sound quality.

Apple claims that iPad Air is twice as fast as the previous generation and believe me, it is! The new 64 bit A7 is really fast! Before I sell my beloved and long used iPad 4th gen I had the chance to compare them side by side. The difference in terms of speed is huge, while the battery holds the same 10 hour efficiency. iOs is operating beautifully under this new beast and free iWork & iLife apps is a welcome addition for any new owner of iPad air.

One of the biggest let downs is the lack of the touch id that is supported in iPhone 5s. Why do tablet owners always have to wait for next generation to get features which already exist in the latest smartphones? The technology is there and they can use it. For the money that iPad Air cost, they should have packed Touch id! Period!

PROS:
+ Lighter & smaller
+ New faster 64 bit A7 chip
+ Free iLife & iWork suite

CONS:
- No rear camera improvement
- No Touch Id

OVERALL:
Besides the drawbacks, this is the best tablet available in the market at the moment. If you love Apple's ecosystem, go for it. If you ve never been a part of it, this is your best chance!

*Forgot to mention: iPad Air is available in 16 flavors in total -> wifi & wifi + 4g X 2 colours (silver & space grey) X 4 storage options (16,32,64 & 128 GB ). Personally, I prefer the space grey colour and for my needs the 16 GB - wifi + 4G. What about you?

4.0 out of 5 stars The future is a breeze, 14 Jun 2014
The Guardian (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The iPad has established itself in four short years as Tablets of choice to which all others are compared, and the Air is the newest and coolest in the family.

First of all, the good news. At 467g the Air redefines computer portability and is so lightweight it's hard to tell whether you're carrying it in your bag or have in fact forgotten it, without looking to check. The Air has a fast A7 chip and the screen is a useful 9.7 inches; it's a breeze to use. The design of the graphics is so intuitive that any child or technophobe can master it and feel at home in a few minutes, which makes it the perfect entry-point into IT for someone who has so far avoided computers.

One of the clever things Apple have done is the creation of the individual `Apple ID' which means once you enter your ID & password your iPad, iPhone, iPod and Mac immediately share all their files, and everything you created or stored on one device becomes available on them all: photos, music, reminders, address book, documents are all shared. This is probably the most brilliant idea ever in the IT mass market to create brand loyalty among consumers and `locks you in to the corporation for the duration'.

Now, the bad news: the software crashes from time to time necessitating a reboot, which is annoying and inconvenient. This fault is acknowledged by Apple, as the software has a few bugs. Also the wireless reception is not all it might be, as it sometimes (mysteriously) fails to connect to even a moderately strong signal.

Apple's pricing structure does not reflect the cost of manufacture but is driven by a market segmentation strategy, so the price really cranks up if you want an iPad with more memory or which can use the GSM phone network. The best value is the 16G Air without Cellular, which only connects to the internet via WiFi. 16G is a lot of memory by the historic standards of portable computers and you'll only find it insufficient if you want to store a lot of big files like films or powerpoint presentations.

You'll need a carrying case to protect it (scores of different designs are available) and maybe a keyboard, which if you're doing a lot of writing and document creation rather than just surfing the internet is the one essential accessory, as without a separate keyboard the usable screen area is reduced in size. Around one million downloadable apps for Apple devices means you can personalize your iPad and make it into more or less whatever you want. The Air design is aesthetically a work of beauty in its simplicity, cleanness of lines and proportion, and despite some irritating niggles is a pleasure to own and use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Technology is amasing !!!!!, 16 Aug 2014
My husband was 83 on the 10th of August and I bought it for him . He's getting to grips with it and will help him concentrate on something positive and not his Health x lovely and light too. Love the technology I had mine 2 years ago and I've loved it but it's much heavier . Iam 79 in December So it's never to late to learn !!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an iPad - a must-buy for all people - but...., 4 Feb 2014
V. Ago (CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

What I like about it - is the build quality. Top notch - as Apple usually does it. It's also an Air - with the A7 processor (dual processor - made by Samsung - heh) meaning the ones who bought the fatter versions are to be mocked - hehe - "mine is better and slimmer than yours" sort of thing. The charging point is still a tiny connector - but it feels sturdy. The responsiveness of the browsing experience is good. The sound quality is decent - not as tinny as I expected. It's great for showing off pics to visitors too. I had great fun with the Photo Booth App - with all it's generated misshapen faces and heads. It's doubly great for showing and reading PDFs on the move and in a conferencing situation. The Retina Screen is OK. The access to the App store is also exciting - as you download Free Space Invaders Games!

What I don't like about it - is the weight. I don't know how the fatter iPads feel, but this thing - even though it's slimmer - seems to weigh a bit more than it looks. So it's not something you would carry around all day - even in your own house. The speakers are only at the bottom; which isn't a problem if you're viewing habit is Portrait - but in Landscape - the brain expects Stereo to accompany the video - and this thing does not do that! It sort of jolts you to the right side of the visual. You should have speakers at the top too - duuurrh - Apple geniuses! I don't like the problem with the Photo's not having the correct orientation when transferred to a PC. It's to do with some orientation tag embedded into JPG pics that PCs are not able to read properly. So I sent pic to friends sideways on - without knowing it! Bad - Apple. Overall - the computing experience is slower. I'm just used to the PC I guess - and my Mac Mini. But why must I put up with no built-in File Manager? And why must I use iTunes to upload files to this gadget? Why cant I just plug the USB cable in and access the 32Gig drive - which I paid extra for? Why must Apple reinvent the Wheel?

If you are new to Computing then perhaps I can recommend an iPad to you. But if you are an experienced computer user - who wants speed in typing and sending files - the iPad is not for you - honestly. It's just another OS you have to learn - and I simply haven't got the time. (I'm writing this review on my PC - in Windows 7: it would be hours upon hours if I did this on an iPad)

5.0 out of 5 stars iPad Air .... Stylish, Sleek and Blazingly Fast, 14 Feb 2014
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Apple really know how to work an audience thanks to their marketing hype and by limiting supplies at launch date. Thankfully they are now readily available and prices are creeping down.
I am no Apple iOS diehard fan. In fact I have several android tablets (including the Nexus 7, which I love). Yet there's no denying that the iPad has revolutionised the computer industry by triggering the tablet era.

This review focuses solely on the iPad Air.

Having owned two other iPads: iPad 1 and iPad 3, I am no novice to the iPad, and have followed the incremental upgrades since it was first introduced .... just 4 years ago!
When my iPad Air finally arrived (had mine on pre-order for several months) I thought that the store had made a mistake and got me the iPad mini instead!
I opened the usual premium Apple packaging and was greeted by a lovely, super slim and lightweight gem of a tablet. The side bezels are so much thinner too, no wonder it could be mistaken for a Mini. This is no incremental upgrade, but a total redesign around the existing iPad 4 screen. (albeit screen offers better viewing angles)

It really is a pity that I had to buy a protective case, which covers the beautifully crafted aluminium body. Yet it means that your investment will still look like new for years.

------------------------------------------
Case options: Skip this part if not interested.

When it comes to cases there is quite a choice. I call these necessary evils, yet one should not skimp on a quality case offering the best protection possible.

I have the original Apple, Invision and the Veo cases for the iPad Air. I cannot comment on cases I do not own which might prove to be actually better.
They weigh 148.7g, 208.5g and 230.7g respectively.
The Apple case is expensive, and the volume and sleep buttons are a nuisance to operate as they are covered in the thick premium leather. The other cases offer easy access to the buttons. However this case offers the best protection and looks great. It takes a lot of patience to remove this cover once it is in place.
The Invision is a very cheap case and a best seller. It looks sturdy and the stitching is top notch, yet I do not particularly like the shiny finish. The iPad is held in place by 4 corner tabs which tend to pop out of place fairly easily.
The Veo is probably the nearest to the Apple as far as looks go. It comes in a mat finish and the iPad is held in place via a plastic strip along the right and 4 corner tabs.
--------------------------------------------

DOES THE iPad Air LIVE UP TO THE HYPE?

A quick answer is "Yes"! The new zippy 64 bit A7 processor and crisp "Retina display" are the best I've seen on any 10" tablet so far! And even though it sports the same display as the iPad 4, the viewing angle is far superior, probably thanks to the closer proximity of the display to the scratch proof glass.

The Apps further contribute to making this the best iPad to date, as they have been optimized to take full advantage of the powerful 64bit processor. These include iPhoto, iMovie, Numbers, Pages and Keynote which are bundled for free!

Virtually virus free Apps available for the iPad are generally superior to the android version. There are various reasons for this:
- iPad is also targeted for professional environments
- Stable and reliable iOS platform
- Applications are only available through the App Store, thus guaranteeing income to the developer.
- Other platforms have new tablets springing every other day, sporting different screen sizes and processors.

Pros:
✓ Blazing fast, low consumption A7 (64bit) processor. The fastest to date
✓ Premium build quality with ever so stylish looks thanks to the precision engineered aluminium housing
✓ 30% lighter than iPad4, weighing only 469g for Wi-Fi, and 478g Wi-Fi + Cellular versions
✓ Retina display. Great colour saturation producing stunning images
✓ iWork and iLife software included for free
✓ Vast choice of apps that can mimic laptop/desktop programs
✓ Awesome battery life. No other tablet manufacturer can match as yet
✓ Is widely used in the Aviation industry by pilots*: This gives the iPad the ultimate seal of approval for reliability, performance and stability.

*Jeppesen, the leading Airline chart manufacturer, has been officially endorsed by EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) to provide digital navigation charts on the iPad for use in flight decks by pilots, and is being used by major airlines. This is a first, and truly revolutionary!

Cons:
- Proprietary hardware required. ie: Bluetooth GPS, Airprint printers..
- No expandable memory
- No touch ID

I would have loved to see an improved version of the iPhone's touch ID.

------------------------------------------------------

Probably the most difficult task is choosing the version which best suits your needs and budget:

I will first start with the common denominator. All flavours offer the same A7 chip, retina display and Wi-Fi.

So the options are colour, storage size and cellular:
♦ Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, yet I do suggest a side by side hands on comparison.
♦ Given the fast processor I would say go for the largest available storage you can afford. This might easily be a laptop alternative, given the new 128GB SSD version.
♦ Many think that cellular versions only offer data. This version also sports a GPS chip which works as good as the best GPS receivers. So this has to be taken into consideration when factoring the price difference.

Highly recommend to anyone seeking a versatile, fast and reliable alternative to a laptop.

I hope you find this review helpful. Any comments or queries are welcome, and I will try my best to address.

5.0 out of 5 stars iPad air, 21 Nov 2013
Having heard all about the newest tablet from Apple I decided it was time to indulge. I have not been disappointed. It's clean lines, light to hold and fantastically responsive to the touch. This is my first tablet, but if you are to own one it must be this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for students, 1 Sep 2014
Ordered through Elife, fulfilled by Amazon.

I was at first concerned by the low price on Amazon's website. However, this turned out to be unfounded, as the product is in perfect condition. It came in brand-new packaging, and works like a brand-new device should. It was speedily dispatched, and reached me within two days. Excellent service.

I need not elaborate on the qualities of the device itself, these have been listed elsewhere in the comments section. However I will mention that this tablet is particularly lightweight and excellent for travelling around. The reason I bought this in the first place was in order to replace a chunky, heavy, bulky laptop which weighed a good 2 kg more than this device. This was literally a pain in the neck to carry around, and so I had to go for something lighter; the iPad is great by comparison. The structure is fantastically sturdy, and the A7 processor runs as fast as anything else on the market. It barely takes any time for the iPad to power on or shut down, and it handles all application processes seamlessly. When coupled with the free productivity apps, such as pages, this product is perfect for anybody like me who is going into studies. I also personally use Evernote when doing lecture notes, and the other Apple productivity apps in order to create or view slideshows and PDFs. Add a keyboard and you're set for the academic year. Highly recommended.