5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet
My family and I liked our iPad 4 so much the only problem was sharing it among 5 people so I decided to get another iPad but waited for the "Air" so can now compare side by side.

Published 20 months ago by R. D. Pearson

3.0 out of 5 stars I love the iPad itself
I love the iPad itself, I am always on it using it for games and socialising ect, but I brought it in August, and the charger for it is already burning out, the prongs that go into the wall, I don't know why it is doing this, I don't have it on charge that often and when I do put it on charge it is only charging for about thirty minutes at a time, and as I spent a lot on...
Published 5 months ago by hannah

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet, 6 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Apple IPad Air, MD788LL/A 16GB, Wifi, 9.7 in LCD (White with Silver) (Personal Computers)

Weight savings are very noticeable with the Air at 469g compared to the 652g of the iPad 4. That's 28% lighter. The difference feels more pronounced though because in truth the iPad 4 was a tad too heavy. The Air is much more manageable in the hand and feels somehow more like half the weight. The difference is actually between "a little too heavy" and "quite light". The Air is nearly 2mm thinner and whilst this is pleasing I think the weight drop is the more noticeable change.

When working off the same wireless network, same distance away, the Air opens websites slightly quicker, perhaps up to 1 second quicker. That is not a lot but when surfing it speeds things up somewhat. If you stream an HD video then not only does it open faster but the buffer on the Air establishes a greater margin than on the 4. In other words the Air is less likely to stall and more able to stream higher definition content.

The speakers on the Air are noticeably better. They are less tinny in general and have more bass than the 4 although neither are exactly Hi Fi.

The Air looks smaller than previous iPads as when in landscape, the outer upper and lower border is narrower making it 16mm smaller than the iPad 4. Same actual screen size though.

The screen images are the same quality on the Air and the 4. Same screen so not very surprising. I cannot detect a snappier or smoother response, both screens seem to be the same. Cameras appear to be the same also.

About a year ago after much musing and hesitation I bought an iPad 4. This has been in high demand with all family members ever since and is great. The Air is even better and will no doubt get heavy use. If you are wondering about needing a tablet and which one to get I would say that either the 4 or the Air are great tablets and are fun and useful tools. I tend to use MS Windows for general computing but somehow Apple has definitely won me over on the tablet front. I am actually surprised by my own statement at some level. I would recommend you try.

The downsides are the lack of Adobe Flash and camera flash, the ridiculous cost of extra storage and no SD/micro SD slot and the fact that the charger for the Air is not compatible with the 4. Personally I can overlook those issues but for the sake of balance they are worth a mention.

These are my initial impressions and I may add once I have played with the Air some more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very light, fast and beautiful. Is it the best tablet for you?, 29 Dec. 2013
Apologies. It seems Amazon has aggregated products and reviews, and therefore this review simply appears as a duplicate.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my iPad. This review explains why..., 29 Dec. 2013
Apologies if this review appears a duplicate. Amazon have aggregated products and reviews appear to be duplicated. You can see the full review (hopefully) at the top of the list.
Also take a look at the latest iPad - search for "iPad Air 2"

5.0 out of 5 stars The best piece of kit I have ever owned, 19 Nov. 2013
I was torn between buying the iPad Air and the Kindle Fire HDX, but after reading reviews all over the net I decided upon the Air 32gb in silver. Having never owned an Apple product before I wasn't really sure what to expect from it, but since I've had it - only four days - I've loved every single minute of using it.

Firstly it feels so nice to hold and use, the screen is superb and colours are really vibrant. Ease of use is also first class and things I thought would be hard to achieve - such as syncing four email addresses from my current PC - were actually a piece of cake.

Having used my son's Kindle Fire HD (I know it's not really comparable)I am amazed at how much Apple have crammed into such a slim and lightweight device. It's also mindbogglingly fast and everything works seamlessly and instantly. Battery life is very good and seems to last around 11 hours, although I'm yet to run it right down to zero.

If I had to be super picky and find something that Apple's boffin's could improve upon further, it would be sound quality at mid to high levels; it can sound a tiny bit tinny (although it still sounds better than anything I've owned before). This isn't really an issue for me as I usually listen at normal sound levels, or through headphones or WiFi speakers, and in these situations the sound quality is excellent, rich and deep.

Lastly, and I suspect this is true for most cameras and tablets on the market, the camera picture quality in low light situations can be somewhat grainy, however in normal light situations it's amazing good. Again this really doesn't bother me, but in the interests of giving a fair representation it has to be mentioned.

The App Store is excellent and easily better than any of the other stores.

I can easily say this is the best piece of kit I have ever owned, and I'm really pleased that I decided on the iPad Air. It may be more expensive than other tablets on the market, but I personally feel you are getting a lot of extra value for your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars iPad Air... Lighter, Thinner and Faster, 15 April 2014
Antoine (Malta) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Apple really know how to work an audience thanks to their marketing hype and by limiting supplies at launch date. Thankfully they are now readily available and prices are creeping down.
I am no Apple iOS diehard fan. In fact I have several android tablets (including the Nexus 7, which I love). Yet there's no denying that the iPad has revolutionised the computer industry by triggering the tablet era.

This review focuses solely on the iPad Air.

Having owned two other iPads: iPad 1 and iPad 3, I am no novice to the iPad, and have followed the incremental upgrades since it was first introduced .... just 4 years ago!

When my iPad Air finally arrived (had it on pre-order for several months) I thought that the store had made a mistake and got me the iPad mini instead!
I opened the usual premium Apple packaging and was greeted by a lovely, super slim and lightweight gem of a tablet. The side bezels are so much thinner too, no wonder it could be mistaken for a Mini at first glance.

The iPad Air is no incremental upgrade, but a total redesign around the existing iPad 4 screen. (albeit offering better viewing angles)

It really is a pity that I had to buy a protective case, which covers the beautifully crafted aluminium body. Yet it means that your investment will still look like new for years.

------------------------------------------
Case options: Skip this part if not interested.

When it comes to cases there is quite a choice. I call these necessary evils, yet one should not skimp on a quality case offering the best protection possible.

I have the original Apple, Invision and the Veo cases for the iPad Air. I cannot comment on cases I do not own which might prove to be actually better.
They weigh 148.7g, 208.5g and 230.7g respectively.
The Apple case is expensive, and the volume and sleep buttons are a nuisance to operate as they are covered in the thick premium leather. The other cases offer easy access to the buttons. However this case offers the best protection and looks great. It takes a lot of patience to remove this cover once it is in place.
The Invision is a very cheap case and a best seller. It looks sturdy and the stitching is top notch, yet I do not particularly like the shiny finish. The iPad is held in place by 4 corner tabs which tend to pop out of place fairly easily.
The Veo is probably the nearest to the Apple as far as looks go. It comes in a mat finish and the iPad is held in place via a plastic strip along the right and 4 corner tabs.
--------------------------------------------

DOES THE iPad LIVE UP TO THE HYPE?

A quick answer is "Yes"! The new zippy 64 bit A7 processor and crisp "Retina display" are the best I've seen on any 10" tablet so far! And even though it sports the same display as the iPad 4, the viewing angle is far superior, probably thanks to the closer proximity of the display to the scratch proof glass.

The Apps further contribute to making this the best iPad to date, as they have been optimized to take full advantage of the powerful 64bit processor. These include *iPhoto, *iMovie, *Numbers, *Pages and *Keynote which are bundled for free!

Apps available for the iPad are generally of a very high standard and virtually virus free. There are various reasons for this:
○ iPad is also targeted for professional environments
○ Stable and reliable iOS platform
○ Applications are only available through the App Store, thus guaranteeing income to the developer.

Pros:
+ Blazing fast, low consumption A7 (64bit) processor. The fastest to date
+ Premium build quality with ever so stylish looks thanks to the precision engineered aluminium housing
+ 30% lighter than iPad4, weighing only 469g for Wi-Fi, and 478g Wi-Fi + Cellular versions
+ Retina display. Great colour saturation producing stunning images
+ iWork and iLife software included for free
+ Vast choice of apps that can mimic laptop/desktop programs
+ Awesome battery life. No other tablet manufacturer can match as yet
+ Is widely used in the Aviation industry by pilots*: This gives the iPad the ultimate seal of approval for reliability, performance and stability.

*Jeppesen, the leading Airline chart manufacturer, has been officially endorsed by EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) to provide digital navigation charts on the iPad for use in flight decks by pilots, and is being used by major airlines. This is a first, and truly revolutionary!

Cons:
- Proprietary hardware required. ie: Bluetooth GPS, Airprint printers..
- No expandable memory
- No touch ID

I would have loved to see an improved version of the iPhone's touch ID.

------------------------------------------------------

Probably the most difficult task is choosing the version which best suits your needs and budget:

I will first start with the common denominator. All flavours offer the same A7 chip, retina display and Wi-Fi.

So the options are colour, storage size and cellular:
○ Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, yet I do suggest a side by side hands on comparison.
○ Given the fast processor I would say go for the largest available storage you can afford. This might easily be a laptop alternative, given the new 128GB SSD version.
♦ Many think that cellular versions only offer data. This version also sports a GPS chip which works as good as the best GPS receivers. So this has to be taken into consideration when factoring the price difference.

Highly recommend to anyone seeking a versatile, fast and reliable alternative to a laptop.

I hope you find this review helpful. Any comments or queries are welcome, and I will try my best to address.

5.0 out of 5 stars What to do!!!!, 10 Nov. 2013
I've upgraded my iPad every two releases so have had the the iPad 1, iPad 3 and now the iPad 5 (or 'iPad air' as Apple are calling it, even if that name isn't actually anywhere to be seen on the actual product).

Apple confused issues last year by releasing two versions within 6 months of each other; the 3rd and 4th generations weren't too different from each other but upset a lot of earlier adopters and I'm sure have had a few of those hesitating before making the jump here in case we get another update in early 2014.

So it's with that in mind that I'm writing this review.

I use iPads to surf the net, play music online, play the occasional game, make a bit of music, watch online videos and listen to the radio at home, so I don't need more than 16gb and wifi.

The iPad Air is a far more beautiful item than the last two generations and feels a lot lighter and smaller than I was expecting and so you're far less likely to bop yourself in the nose or mouth when your arm gives way whilst lying on your back watching something.

The wifi is also better, I found myself waiting for a site to open before noticing that it actually done so in the blink of an eye. Nice.

GarageBand has been revamped with loads more tracks and the new 64bit processor handles complex projects easily. Aside from that there are no new apps to take advantage of the new release.

And that's the crux I guess, should you wait for 6 months until a load of smart new apps have appeared? And by then there could be an iPad 6 (or 'iPad Air 2'...) with trendy fingerprint sensor, new cameras and that cool slow motion thing? I'll be gutted if Apple release that, because I won't be upgrading for at least another 18 months.

So verdict; having sold my old version I'm really happy with the new one. It's so much nicer to own and is noticeably faster. Taking into account selling on my old versions it costs me about £2 a week to own an iPad and I think, given how much I use it, represents a massive bargain.
If you have an iPad 1 - buy it
If you have an iPad 2 - buy it
If you have an iPad 3 - buy it if you hate the design and want faster wifi
If you have an iPad 4 - wait until 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best tablet in town, 16 Sept. 2014
I was not a die-hard Apple customer, and until I bought an iPad mini two years ago, had only ever been familiar with one of their products; an iPod.
Until 2012, I rigidly stuck with all things Android and Windows: Sony or Samsung phones and HP or Dell laptops.
But then after having what can only be described as an anti-climactic experience with the much-lauded Kindle Fire HD, I took the plunge and bought the entry-level iPad mini.
There was to be no going back.
Quite simply, to compare Android with Apple is to compare excrement with cream. Sure, Apple products are pricey, but sometimes you just get what you pay for. From the user interface to overall performance, an iPad is the Champions league-winning team, whilst a Samsung tablet is at best, a mid-table humdrum.
Apple aren't without their faults, of course. They turn the financial screws quite severely for every gigabyte of memory you require, and their operating system lacks compatibility with some popular non-Apple software.
But, as they say, no-one is perfect. Though some are more perfect than others.
And this iPad - like its predecessors - is worth the extra pennies because it truly is class in a class of its own.