on 2 January 2014
The laptop is good for general use. I repair computers for the small town I live in, so needed a laptop with windows 8.1 as an OS to become familiar with it sense some of my customers have bought new computers with that operating system. I personally wouldn't ever use Windows 8 or 8.1 but time moves on. The notebook is cheaply manufactured on the outside, but the internal working are quite good for the price, with the exception of the speakers. It is light, fast, and the screen is excellent. Does not heat up and can be used on the lap with no noticeable heating of the legs. One thing that I would say is that it comes with a 30 trial of McAfee Security, But if you are planning on using another security program the McAfee is hard to uninstall. This is true with any Computer you buy with McAfee trial install. Please note to uninstall it you not only have to run the uninstall program from the control panel, but go to the McAfee web site and down load the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) Tool. If you don't you will receiver errors when you try to install most of the other security programs. Other than the plastic casing, it is great Laptop for £299.
11 comment|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2013
Fast, easy to use, I was on a budget so I think I got a good deal, speakers do let it down so I am looking for a set that is easy to carry around. I found Windows 8.1 easy to use after 2 hours and now think it is great. I brought my lap top at Currys in Bath and wish I had'ent so will stick to Amazon from now on.
on 14 March 2014
Bought this one to follow on from my Toshiba Satellite 300 series (running Vista O/S) . Runs windows 8.1 o/s on this one, a vast improvement on windows 8. Laptop itself runs on 64 bit system and is very fast on start up etc. Li-ion battery seems to have a good storage. Runs anything from 4 to 7 hours from fully charged. Windows 8.1 has a traditional desktop screen as well as the silly tablet /smartphone screen, (I've got a smartphone thank you). The desktop works the same the older versions (complete with shortcuts)
Having "Tamed" this version of windows I find it works quite well. However it is designed for "touchscreen" and the touchpad only works the cursor on this one.So for fast work you will need a mouse, I bought a Microsoft 4000 series wireless mouse for this. Small and light to fit in your pocket. I Rest My Case
on 28 November 2013
A basic Laptop bought as a gift for an elderly person for use mainly surfing the net. Although Windows 8.1 is designed for touch screen it works fine with a mouse.

Once the usual extraneous programs are deleted, this laptop is simple to use and reasonably fast . It is however badly let down by the tinny poor quality sound system.

In summary , generally O K but definitely not for media home entertainment
on 18 February 2014
This machine represents great value. Please we chose it. Does all it should and more. Efficient supplier. Well set up. Took it out of the box and was ready to run.
on 22 March 2014
Love the laptop fo rits look, style and operation but dislike Windows 8 very much as it is clearly designed for touch screen and not mouse use.
Would recommend the unit to anyone but would vastly prefer the option of another operating system designed for mouse use.
Strongly feel in this day and age and at this price a basic word processing application such as Microsoft Works should be included in the deal.
on 1 June 2014
have been using this for about 4 months now. it is not very good, it jumps all over the place and when i am typing it puts maybe 3 or 4 words together, space bar does not seem to work properly.and the cursor goes all over the place when i do e-mails, it also misses lots of letters out of a word, i have had to correct this review .4 times. am thinking of sending it back to amazon.
on 7 February 2014
Laptop arrived with a faulty screen / backlight so it didn't even work. Toshiba offered a standard 4 week repair which was unacceptable as purchased as a present. They then advised just to return it to Amazon for a full refund and go it buy one elsewhere, which is exactly what I did!
on 14 March 2014
Very efficient free post service from Amazon. Laptop too dependant on internet connections to get operating. WINDOWS 8 is a pain to use - why did they shift from XP. Otherwise very pleased and relatively simple to use once I had deleted Microsoft and Mcafree imbedded files.
on 30 November 2014
Rubbish. One morning, 6 months after purchase it started up but only with a message that it was broken. Full refund from Amazon (except the full return postage) bu that didn't compensate for all the trouble with transferring all my stuff to a new one.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse