5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Buy - A Massive Save
I purchased my shinny new Macbook Pro 15" from amazon 1 week ago. Worried about the negative reviews and suggestions that the laptop was part of some type of scam. I purchased the laptop from a market place reseller but dispatched by amazon to give me a little security in terms of returning the product incase the offer wasn't quite what it seemed.

With a...
Published 8 months ago by steptron

3.0 out of 5 stars Too good to be true
Published 12 months ago by S. Hartshorne

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Buy - A Massive Save, 27 Jun. 2014
steptron (shrewsbury uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple ME294B/A 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Intel Quad Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB HDD, Iris Pro Graphics, GeForce GT 750M 2GB, Mac OS X) (Personal Computers)

With a whooping saving from the apple store of £600 (ish) what did i have to loose, if the device turned out to be a fake or not as the offer had appeared I would simply contact amazon and ask for them to collect the device and return my money, however if the device was as advertised I would save a huge amount of money.

My laptop arrived the next day and everything looked great - UK Plug, sealed, brand new. It does have an international keyboard but this is not a major issue and only a few keys different to a UK keyboard, everything else is perfect.

My next move was to contact apple and make sure my laptop was genuine and was covered under warranty - My serial number showed on their systems, they confirmed the item was shipped from their warehouse in march 2014 (only 1 month earlier) and after showing proof of purchase they confirmed in writing that the warranty was good.

So £600 saving and forgetting the international keyboard everything is the same as the UK model sold by apple...... I am such a happy man :-) Best deal in years

5.0 out of 5 stars 15" MacBook Pro, 3 Sept. 2014
P. W. Dunwood (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have been a Windows man since 3.11 and Win8 has been a step too far. I'm finding some aspects of the Mac quite challenging but so many things are just so intuitive. The machine was expensive but quality always is. I've loaded Lightroom for editing my raw files. I'm searching for a suitable browser to replace Breeze Browser although the built in software works very well. The machine fires up from cold in no time at all, has a powerful fast processor and I am very impressed with the superb screen display. I can read all of my external drives and the machine is very light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hate laptops, love this though!, 14 Feb. 2014
Mr. G. Shiels (Porthcawl, Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had iMacs for years and my 27" is a dream to use. I'm a web developer so the mac gets used all day and (too) often, all evening. I needed a laptop as I find myself out with clients more often and lugging a 27" iMac is not an option! I'm not keen on laptops as I like a large screen, a mouse and power, however this MacBook Pro is a revelation. I'm actually enjoying using it.

The screen is a joy to look at, it is seriously fast (faster than my 2 year old high powered iMac) and I've even been converted to the trackpad. I am an Excel power user, and the Mac version is tosh, so I have to run Excel in Windows in VMware Fusion. It is astonishingly good. The MacBook handles it easily. My previous laptop was a top end Dell XPS which was nice, but it got very hot and the fans were really loud. This MacBook is silent.

At two grand it ain't cheap, and you must get AppleCare if you intend keeping it for more than one year. I have always bought AppleCare and used it 3 times in the past (all display related issues) and the repairs would have cost me £300, £450 and £600 if I did not have AppleCare.

Is it worth it? I would rather not be adding to the billions Apple already have, and I think they should trim their prices. That said, if you are using it for your livelihood, then I think it is worth it. Bear in mind that Macs hold their resale value, so the cost over 3 years for a superb machine is compelling.

I didn't buy mine from Amazon as I got a better price elsewhere, but I do use Amazon a lot and find the reviews helpful, so I thought I should write a review for what is a big outlay for most of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly slim and light, beautiful design & blisteringly fast!, 1 Jan. 2014
If you're like me, you'll have spent ages comparing features and specs before splashing the cash on a new laptop. I certainly did, and I finally settled for a Mac.

Quick word of warning: I'm a recent (July 2012) convert from Windows to a MacBook Pro, and was lucky enough to recently upgrade to a stunning 13 inch Retina. While I love Apple products, I'm not a Mac expert, and this review is for similar non-experts who are thinking about "converting". Because it's a review of the MBP range, you'll find the same review on other specs - skip to the end to see the specifics on this model.

Firstly, the hardware - which is just stunning. It's incredibly thin and light, and the 15 inch screen is just gigantic - even if you intend to attach an external monitor for much of the time.

In common with all Apple MacBooks it's beautifully carved out of a solid piece of brushed aluminium, with a huge track-pad and a beautifully made back-lit keyboard.

In terms of connectivity you get:-

* Mag Safe power plug.
* 2 x Thunderbolt ports - to attach to fast external disks etc
* 2 x USB 3 ports (one either side - nice touch)
* Headphones output for external speakers
* An SDXC photo card slot
* A full size HDMI port - so you connect an external monitor

Apple hardware is more expensive than the equivalent running Windows, but you do get what you pay for, and they come with incredible attention to detail. This includes the cleverly designed "Mag Safe" magnetic power socket - so if a small child accidentally pulls on the power cable it disconnects from the laptop rather than dragging it crashing to the floor.

These machines don't come with a wired network connection - it's assumed you'll connect using WIFI, but they are well future proofed - as they support the latest 80211ac standard - basically the same as before but faster. Be aware you may need to update your router to make use of this. My existing router is fast enough - but it's nice to have the future proof design.

As a prior Windows laptop user, the multi-touch trackpad is a real revelation. You can scroll down web pages (two fingers up/down), or scroll through web history (two fingers left/right), and the "System Preferences" window where you can configure the options includes a handy video demonstrating the options available. It's hard to over-state the benefit of this. It's so wonderfully accurate, it makes your laptop a real pleasure to use (again compared to my Windows laptop).

As already stated, the keyboard is fantastic. Island style black keys - nicely spaced out, and back-lit. There's a set of dedicated keys along the top to control features including screen brightness, play, fast forward and stop, plus sound.

Of course you don't get a CD/DVD drive - but all software is available online through the Apple Mac Store, and another nice surprise - consistently cheaper than equivalent windows software, and without the annoying collection of boxes, software keys and disks to avoid losing. You can of course buy an external DVD drive if you really need one.

Battery life is quoted at something silly - and I ran an entire day of general use (web browsing, videos, mails etc), in the end I got at least 9-10 hours before I started getting warnings - so you should be able to take this on a long haul flight or a long train journey without any problems.

Where this really shines though is the screen. It's apparently 2,880 x 1,800 pixels, and looks just stunning. In fact it's so good, I think I'm going to need to replace my ageing external monitor for when I use it desk-bound. Videos are crisp and clear, but where is really shines is reading or writing text.

Sound quality is not bad, although not as good as I'd have hoped - but I plug in external speakers myself - or better still, stream music to my Hi Fi speakers via an Apple TV. It's worth noting - you can stream anything on screen (videos or Netflix) to an Apple TV - including high quality sound. A great bonus.

Although I don't often play games, I'm told the MBP is not a serious gaming machine, but for web use or video streaming it's more than capable. I can't really comment more than that.

In terms of software, these are well provided for straight out of the box including free copies of:-

* Pages - a fully featured word processor similar to MS Word
* Numbers - Excel spreadsheets for Apple
* Keynote - PowerPoint equivalent
* Calendar, Mail and iPhoto editor and organiser
* Movie Maker - to edit and publish home-made videos
* Reminders - to remind you

I love the fact the Macs now work well with the iPhone and iPad. That means (for example) you can set a reminder on your Mac and have it automatically appear on your iPhone. Likewise, enter contacts on one device, and they're available on all. You can take a photo on your iPhone and it automatically appears on your Mac (and iPad) without having do do anything. Finally, you can even start a document on your Mac and then continue to edit on your iPad by saving stuff in "the cloud".

But a final word of warning - and not something Apple tend to shout about. I'm used to being able to upgrade hardware when it starts to slow down. Be aware you can't upgrade ANYTHING on these machines. Even the memory is soldered in place so buy the best you can. OK so you can always attach a large external disk, but it's a bit disappointing you can't upgrade the internal disk or memory. Having said that - this is pretty much as top end as it gets!

In terms of this model, it's pretty much top of the range on the CPU processor (2.3Ghz quad core i7), and should have lots of grunt to edit large video files. Likewise, with 16Gb of memory, you should be able to run a huge number of applications without it slowing up much. Just don't fill up the (admittedly blistering) solid state disk.

In short - highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too good to be true, 14 Feb. 2014
S. Hartshorne "Joschiedog" (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
Don't get me wrong, having been a windows man for all of my life, it took a great deal of self-searching to make the bold decision to move to Apple. I received the MacBook Pro in the post, and was excited to play with it straight away. You know what it's like, kid with a new toy and all that. So when I got it out of the box, (this is why I gave it a three. It was going to be a two star, but I relinquished as I know this review is about the item and not the vendor, but I had to have my rant somehow).
Anyway, when I got it out of the box, the keyboard was a US keyboard. My fault I guess for going through Amazon to a vendor that gave no indication on the site whatsoever that they were from Hong Kong!! So my advise is if you want to buy, then thoroughly research to ascertain where the vendor comes from. That said, after my frustration and disappointment, I realised I could buy a UK Bluetooth keyboard to work with the MacBook (at extra cost of course).
But onto the review itself. Like I say, having been on Windows all my life, I was really diving deep in going to Apple, but I was tired of all the constant updates (one of which set my Lenovo back to factory settings). When I switched the MacBook on for the first time, it booted up the fastest I have ever seen anything (fantastic). It comes loaded with tonnes of stuff, to the point for me personally, I have not had to buy anything new or extra to complement the suite that it comes with. The only thing I have loaded is Microsoft Office, but because I have Office 365 I can download to five devices and it doesn't matter if it's Windows or Apple Mac, so it downloaded straight away and I'm up and running. It found my wireless system straight away, password entered and I was off.
A couple of months ago I bought a Seagate drive to connect to my wireless router to create my own mini cloud for my house. I have continually struggled with my Windows to find and connect to this device, so resorted to unplugging from the router and plugging into my device to use as a standalone backup system. When I connected the MacBook Pro to the wireless network, it saw the device straight away, so now I have my own mini cloud with all of my iTunes, pictures etc, that I can stream to my TV through AirPlay from the Mac, Superb!! That alone gives a five start, but I'm still angry about the vendor part, so it remains three (you have to go with me on this one).
I have to say, the only thing I have had to buy extra is a separate DVD drive as it doesn't come with one. OK, the cost is a bit of a bummer, but I have it now, and I'm not complaining. You can see why they don't put one in the device though, it is so sleek and looks absolutely fabulous. The battery is outstanding and lasts for hours. I have the 512Gbyte solid state and that helps with the speed which is awesome. Finally from me, the screen. This is the Retina Pro, and having never had a Mac I can't compare, but I can compare to my old Windows laptop. The screen on the MacBook is stunning. I have watched Sky go programmes, run the odd little game and worked on some complex spreadsheets for my work, and it does not disappoint in any way at all. My guess is, to replicate this in Windows you would have to buy an ever increasing (tech, memory and cost) graphics cards, which means an expensive high end machine to be anywhere comparable.
So, my apologise once again for the three stars, but I really am the happiest person right now, and am glad to have made the move to Apple. When my main PC in the house (the Lenovo) gets old and dies, I will seriously think about getting an Apple desktop to replace it, as I now know by owning the MacBook, that yes the cost is high, but you truly are getting quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy from Gadget Heaven - non-UK model!, 10 Mar. 2014
Despite what they say, Gadget Heaven are selling an international model of this laptop with a non-UK keyboard. I also get no UK warranty as it's not from the UK. Also, doing a search on Apple's site for the serial number comes up with no date of purchase, etc. which seems odd.

I am very upset and I now have to return it.

DO NOT BUY FROM Gadget Heaven!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a great Macbook pro as my previous old mac was but ..., 1 Aug. 2014
Its a great Macbook pro as my previous old mac was but it wasn't a ME294B/A as listed someone had taken great pains in disguising this by blocking out all of the serial numbers and tapping over other numbers until you open the sealed outer packing it then reveals it true serial number/country.
How ever I cannot complaint due to it works fine/price but I believe Amazon should really sell this item with its true country of origin

5.0 out of 5 stars Best price delivered fast, 5 Aug. 2014
Best price delivered fast!

Yes, it is a USA keyboard layout but just simply use shift and number 3 for a pound sign £££. Thats it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple MacBook Pro, 23 Jun. 2014
Not the model I was expecting but just as good with the same huge saving, having lots of fun using it and would buy again from this seller

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Aug. 2014
In immaculate condition - really pleased with it, and with the package generally. A very exciting tool. thank you