4.0 out of 5 stars The Tablet That Made Me Sell My Nexus 7 2013 : LG G Pad 8.3 ( Updated Review 07th July 2014 )
Please find my updated thoughts on the tablet right at the end of this review. Thanks

---------------------------------------

My very first touchscreen smartphone was the LG Viewty back in the old days. In some ways i always believed that LG will come back one day with a bang ( even if they lost there dominance in the last few years ). My affair with...
Published 9 months ago by J. Choudhry

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad luck 🍀 I say
Uffffff what can I say about my lg g pad tablet... Let's start with the beginning: I order my item couple of months ago ( October) and instead of the tablet I received a Lego toy and a dvd... Bad luck 🍀 I say... In the end everything was sorted by Amazon customers service and finally I received my item... In the original box but what was strange for me is that...
Published 4 hours ago by jockson

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Some minor niggles, but an excellent tablet, 25 May 2014
This review is from: LG G Pad 8.3-inch Tablet - White (Quad Core 1.7GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera) (Personal Computers)
I've had my G Pad for around a month now and I think it's excellent. I wanted to upgrade from my Samsung tab 2 7.0 To an 8 inch, with an sd card that could do hdmi out via slimport. I had concerns that the Samsung tab 3 8.0 might not be powerful enough so plumped for the G Pad.

The first tablet that was sent had a yellow stripe across the screen. That went straight back to amazon and the replacement arrived the day after with no issues. This is apparently a common fault. The replacement was fine and prompted to upgrade to Android 4.4.2 kitkat.

Overall, the screen has a slight yellow tint when compared to the pure white of my partner's Nexus 7, but it's bright and clear and sharp. The tablet is very smooth and fast always with a quad core and 2gb ram. Nothing i have done has really taxed it.

The built in email app is excellent in my opinion as is the built in IR tv/dvd remote which is very useful and the default keyboard. HDMI via slimport works well. Overall a joy to use, screen issues lose it a star.

4.0 out of 5 stars About the right size., 30 July 2014
M. Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
Have only used for a short time.
Display is very good, with the case on sound is muted, used mainly for emails. A pity the mobile goggle mail app doe not have canned response etc; but that is not a LG problem but still reduces the usefulness of email at times.
With the addition of OTG cable etc; the display and sound on other devices is very good and smooth.
LG overlay I am still unsure of, good and indifferent at times - I have no wish to root at the moment.
As this is the first tablet I have used, have found that closing apps is the best way of extending battery life, will view a video to get a better idea of its capabilities.
Will try tethering next to extend its usefulness.
Will update this review after further use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet with a bit more screen area than the Nexus 7, 11 April 2014
Richard Lewis "reeshar" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I had, and still have, a Gen 1 Nexus 7 when I bought this tablet. The great advantage of this tablet is the obviously larger screen area - approximately 40% bigger - which makes web browsing and watching films that much easier. It's quite a bit faster than the Nexus 7 too.

Other advantages:

Price: Well OK, I paid a bit over the odds to get it in white, but in black the G Pad is unbeatable at £179 (when I last looked on Amazon)

An SD card slot (Yay! Such a rarity these days) into which I have put a 32GB Toshiba MicroSD card, expanding total memory to a mind-boggling 48GB for a mere additional £12

Hackability: If you like upgrading your tablet independently of manufacturer's time schedule then the G Pad is perfect. Very easy to root, install TWRP and then to flash with different ROMs, including the manufacturer's own most recent version of KitKat, not yet released in Europe. Or you can use Cyanogenmod if you don't want the manufacturer's app clutter.

Good screen: Perhaps not quite as good as the Gen 2 Nexus 7 but high-resolution (1920 x 1200 - full HD plus space for the menu bar at the bottom) and very nice to use.

Good battery life: I've not encountered any issues with battery life. I've yet to run it down in the usage I make of it during the day.

Very slim form factor: LG have taken a lesson from their G2 phone and stretched the screen virtually across the width of the tablet. That means you get that extra 40% screen area for only a small increase in size over a Nexus 7. Unfortunately that small increase does mean I can't slip it into my jeans back pocket like I can, and do, my Nexus 7.

Negatives:

The desktop seems a bit retro even for Android 4.2.2 which is what it comes with, but then I'm used to the latest version on the Nexus 7. Too much manufacturer clutter. Easily fixed with a few tweaks or even by installing an alternative ROM if I really want.

The auto-adjust screen brightness seems to set the brightness too low making the screen appear dull. I've seen other similar comments around. I've just turned it off and adjusted it to my own taste and it now looks great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the money, 14 Oct 2014
I carried out a lot of research before buying this tablet, as I didn't want to pay for a so-called premium tablet. Quite a few commented on it's poor brightness and lack of vivid colours. If it is set to automatic I would agree brightness is not good in certain conditions, but I switched this off and have it set at 65% and it's fine like this. I haven't used the camera yet, so can't comment on that. I use it a lot for watching live TV especially sport and found it to be excellent for this. The sound on speakers is not brilliant, but adequate, but I usually use headphones and it's fine on these.
If you are looking for a middle of the range tablet, I would certainly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value tablet with great features and battery life., 9 Aug 2014
Mr. Alistair Burrows (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great tablet, have kept it a few weeks now to evaluate first and can find very little to fault it.

The 8.3" screen is so much bigger than a 7" the extra is so worth having, does increase the weight of it though as it's a lot heavier than Samsung Tab3 7". Probably accountable by the larger battery in it which helps give it a very decent battery life.

Mine came with the latest version of Kitkat already installed so can't say if it's any improvement over the previous version as I had nothing to compare it to, but it does seem to run seamlessly it hasn't slowed down for me at all yet although I'm not really a hard user apart from a few internet browser windows open at once. Some of the factory installed features are great especially the side swipe feature, really handy for keeping windows open when doing other things.

The screen isn't the brightest but it is bright enough and the resolution is great, pin sharp.

The wi fi picks up and connects a lot quicker than some of my other devices and bluetooth also works well, but handier than the Samsung it shows up as an accessible drive when connect to my PC so don't need any special software to transfer files onto the G Pad memory card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value tablet, 25 April 2014
For around the same cost as a Nexus 7 you get an 8 inch HD screen, micro SD card support and Kitkat out of the box. The stereo speakers are good (would have been better on the front) and the aluminium back gives a quality feel. At this price point you would be hard pushed to get better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still best small tablet!, 12 Jun 2014
After 4 months of usage it is still the best small form factor tablet!

I use tablet 50% watching videos, 40% browsing, 9% gaming, 1% navigation. I wanted good specs and FullHD screen. LG G Pad checked all the checkboxes.

I considered
Nexus 7 - great tablet, but too much bezel, small screen, no SD slot (but ok)
iPad mini - no SD slot (but ok), 4:3 form factor, not good for videos, difficult to upload videos, ios is kind of old, expensive
Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 - hardware buttons, I demoed Samsung at a shop and I noticed that when I hold tablet in portrait mode, I touch back/apps buttons accidentally. IMHO tablet must have onscreen buttons only! Expensive.

(!) For serious web browsing or writing I prefer Laptop, cause sites detect tablet as a mobile device and load mobile site version or use flash which is not supported. Yes you can do that, but it is much easier with Laptop. This is a problem of ALL tablets.

Build quality 5/5
I picked white G Pad because I read that black one is fingerprint magnet. Absolutely no problems with fingerprints. Solid build, no complains. I think better than iPad (slippery) but not as good as Nexus 7 (I like Nexus 7 feel)

Screen 4/5
I heard that it has yellowish tint. Maybe you will notice that if you compare side by side with calibrated monitor. But I see that the screen is just great. Resolution is more than enough. 16:10 ratio is great for videos and good for web browsing, you can hold tablet with one hand. Viewing angles are great. Brightness is enough for indoor use, wish a little bit more brightness.
Performance 4/5
Snapdragon 600 was not top CPU, it could be 800. I noticed small lags on the main screen when you rotate the screen or push home button. After KitKat update situation is... different... but I still think that iPad is more fluid. There are no lags in apps, iPad Air I used had lags in games. Finally I installed Cyanogen mod. Now no bugs, no lags. Very happy.

Speakers 3/5
Speakers are loud enough, but the main problem is that they are mounted on the back of the tablet and when G Pad lies on your knees you kind of reduce loudness, then you increase volume and it is ok. Then if you lift it, sound becomes very load and you need to decrease volume. I think case usage can fix that, but I don't have one.

Connectivity 4.5/5
Wi-fi is absolutely great. Much much better than my iPhone 5. Signal is very good. I've never regretted that there is no LTE module. I think you need LTE if you use tablet really active outside, reading news in a subway, etc. If I need internet I will convert my iPhone to wi-fi hotsport with one button. No problem at all. I purchased 64Gb micro SD card for 35eur. Works great.

Battery 4/5
Battery hold about 6 hours of video. Navigation eats the battery very fast. That means one day of intensive usage. According to statistics screen is the main drainer. Standby is good and if you just check news every morning G Pad can last for a week or even more. I think battery could be better for a tablet, but it is absolutely ok for indoor and car use, like I do. iPad has better battery life.

Pros.
Good design, small bezels - compact
SD slot
RAM 2Gb
Good FHD screen
Fast enough
Great build quality
Cyanogenmod compatible

Cons
Battery could be better
CPU could be snapdragon 800
Screen brightness could be better

I recommend it especially considering its price. Best small tablet so far.

Nick

5.0 out of 5 stars My first tablet and I love it., 23 Jun 2014
Carl Wright "Carl Wright" (Much Wenlock, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm no expert, but my wife and son have two cheap acer tablets and this just blows them away. I cannot find fault with this product. I like to use my to show friends and family photographs from my DSLR, the image quality is superb, and I'm very very happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great display good allrounder, 16 May 2014
This is my first tablet and I am very pleased with it. The display is really clear and bright, it does everything you would expect and I really appreciate the 8.3" screen. I always felt that 7" displays were a bit small and 10" tablets too big to carry around this one gives you the ideal compromise. My only gripe is that it has no mini HDMI output so if you want to connect it to an external screen or TV you are out of luck, fortunately that is not one of my requirements. I would certainly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice Tablet, 14 Aug 2014
Really nice tablet. I'm not a mega user - it's a toy for me - bujt it's got a really nice crisp screen. Easy to use. responsive and quick. I haven't tried anything too fancy yet but it strikes me as a good value tablet and handles everything I have used it for so far. The ability to addin a 64GB microSD storage is great and with 2GB RAM, it's basically twice as powerful as an iPad for less than half the money. If you don't want to be ripped off by Apple and don't know which other tablet to buy, this has to be a contender. Build quality seems to be up to the usual high LG standard and just looks and feels nice. Great quality item.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›