4.0 out of 5 stars The Boy done good!
Boy George is a legend but for a long time it's been for the wrong reasons. This album shows his true talent of song writing and vocal ability. Don't expect to hear the same voice from his Culture Club heyday, this George is a more mature and emotional sounding George, taking the listener on a very personal journey through his life.

Stand out tracks for me are...
Published 11 months ago by Mr. Simon D. Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry George
I bought this after listening to some interviews given by Boy George on the radio and was curious to listen to 'What he does now'. After a few playings I knew this was not for me and lost interest very quickly. I wish him well as he clearly has a new verve for life.
Published 5 months ago by Dangerous Dave

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Boy George This is what I do is the King of the Everything!, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: This Is What I Do (Audio CD)
When Boy George released his new album 'This Is What I Do' with the first single 'King Of Everything' I cried it was such a moving song. The album in its entirely is so fantastic. Each song has a story to it. You can feel his voice on the fan classic 'Bigger Than War'. George sings from the heart on the heart felt 'it's Easy' followed by the gorgeous 'My God'. The album Cd booklet contains the lyrics with some stunning photos of George that you can sing along to. This album is getting some amazing reviews worldwide. In time this album will be comparable to the glorious "Colour By Numbers'Do yourself a favor and get this album. It's WHAT YOU DO!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful songs, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: This Is What I Do (Audio CD)
I wake up with 'nice and slow', and when my husband is annoying me I play 'it's easy': that usually calms him down. I am still recovering from the gig in Camden where he sang the whole album and much more, it was incredibly generous. I feel like a retarded teenager but his songs can be so true. My head is full of reggae, jazz and blues, loved the chicago 50ies band style of the band.
our daughter has taken a like for Boy George too, fascinated by his 80s look and his 'voice a bit like he had an operation like Bonnie Tyler and he sometimes colors his hair like Katy Perry'. 'I like him cause he's different' she says to her friends who are into One Direction. I also always admired the fact that his writing is delicate, intricate, poetic and witty and he never use swear words in his songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning album., 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: This Is What I Do (Audio CD)
I had given up buying CD's, but when I heard 'King Of Everything' on the radio, I had to find out more. Listening to clips from the play list nailed it for me. I bought the CD for my collection. Well done, Boy George.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boy Is back and his new music is hot!, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: This Is What I Do (Audio CD)
This album is stunning, absolutely mind-bogglingly musical, warm, free-spirited, modern, eclectic, and exotic. Boy George has to have one of the very best singing voices in music. I was lucky enough to get a rare ticket to see him live recently and as well as his voice being outrageously versatile he just didn't put a note wrong. There is no doubt that Boy George is one of the most talented, daring, and creative men British music has ever seen. This is a mature album from one of the hippest DJs of the last 2 decades. You might not want to listen to it on public transport - it's difficult to stay still and leaves a very broad smile on your face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy comeback, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: This Is What I Do (Audio CD)
Forget the negative reviews because they try to overshadow what I believe is a fantastic new album.its a pleasure to listen to a soulful heartfelt songwriter.we could all link our past in some way to George's experiences.all the tracks have a story to tell and in the short time I have owned this album it's has never stopped turning in the disc player.please use the preview option and listen to a short piece of the songs,it's an option we have these modern days.dont buy it,listen and then slate it......please enjoy the music as I do.its well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The boy has grown up to be a man - great album, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: This Is What I Do (Audio CD)
This is a great comeback album from Boy George.

For so many years George has made it easy for all of us to forget that he is in fact an artist and a singer. From the very moment "This is what I do" kicks up with "King of everything" you feel that this album is George wanting to re-establish himself as an serious songwriter and singer. And he really succeeds.

Songs like "My god", "It's easy", "My star", "love and danger", "nice and slow" and the aforementioned (and brilliant first single) "King of everything" are stand out tracks and alone worth buying the album for. The rest of the songs are strong too - with only "feel the vibration" as an exception.
Georges voice is strong - but also different from his earlier days. More mature and rough- just like the whole album really feels more mature (not to confuse with boring). Only thing keeping the album from a straight 5-star review is that the production on some of the tracks are a little "muted" and that the running order of the album seems a little illogical with the strongest songs in the "middle" of the album (with the exception of opener "King of everything").

Lyrics are strong and you get the feeling that this is a really personal album - and an album where the artist wants to reconnect with his audience (e.g. check out "Any road" and "King of everything"). Listen to "It's easy", "King of everything" and "My star" - and if you like them, you will like the album.

After listening to "This is what I do" a couple of times you sit with the feeling that Boy George is here to stay, that he can pull more great albums out of his "hat" and that this is just the start. Listening to the album you realize that Boy George is a great songwriter, has a great voice and really still has a lot to offer to the music business. And during the album you reflect (e.g. "King of everything"), you get in a great mood (e.g. "my star"), you feel mellow (e.g. "it's easy") and you feel you are back in the good old days when music really mattered (e.g. "my god" and its fantastic psychedelic guitar solo).

In my mind there are no reasons for not checking this album out and see just how far Boy George has come. The album has my strongest recommendations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of cd., 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: This Is What I Do (Audio CD)
Was very pleased with my puchase. The Boy George album This Is What I Do is excellent Having been a massive Boy George fan since my teens this album was a breath of fresh air. Great maturity in his voice and a far cry from his 80s mussic but atill top notch..

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a listen...., 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: This Is What I Do (Audio CD)
Well whilst it may be 18 years since Mr. O'Dowd last visit to a studio, it was worth the wait.
Don't expect Culture Club mark 2, but a mature & reflective George....
The voice is even more interesting than years ago & this album is definately a grower....
2 or 3 plays & it will be required listening over dinner or a long soak in the bath...
Candlight & Vino optional.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album needs an award!, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: This Is What I Do (Audio CD)
This really is a great effort by one of the UK's finest. No fillers. Each track can stand on it's own and the album features some classic George moments. A great Christmas present for your mum if she was a Culture Club fan back in the day. Will not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars George has grown up!!!!!!, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: This Is What I Do (Audio CD)
Absolutely live this cd. Could listen to it all day. Boy George's voice now has a beautiful deep tone to it..... can't wait for the next one and would 100% recommend to anyone

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›