4.0 out of 5 stars A well written punchy tour of everything British!
Published 13 months ago by Edward

2.0 out of 5 stars nice idea...
Published 13 months ago by Girliefish

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars nice idea..., 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: I Should Know That: Great Britain: Everything You (and the Prime Minister) Really Should Know About GB (Kindle Edition)
Loved the idea of this book, and enjoyed the style. Some good quotes & nice insights. However the accuracy of the content on the legal / political sections is rather sloppy, which then made me mistrust the rest. Would be great for teenager / foreign student but I don't think I could recommend because of some of the confusion it would cause about some of our basic constitutional & legal facts. Also ended rather abruptly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too simplistic, 1 Jan. 2014
As a help in passing the citizenship test this may be good. as an interesting reader for a reasonable intelligent person its a bit of a let down. it oversimplifies issues by making definitive statements that are not in reality correct. i.e. There is no separate church for Wales and Northern Ireland (sic) ( tell that to the Church in Wales (previous Archbishop Rowan Williams) or The Archbishop of All Ireland in Armagh.
Sorry too basic and inaccurate.

4.0 out of 5 stars A well written punchy tour of everything British!, 5 Jan. 2014
As a Brit who is slightly ashamed about their lack of knowledge of the UK, I found that the book provided a punchy, concise history of everything you'd need to know about the UK. Emma Marriott has done a great job in moving the book on at a decent pace when some parts seem to get slightly tedious and provides well rounded, well researched history of nearly everything British, with some humorous quotes from various influential Brits throughout that'll make readers grin. There are times where the book is overloaded with statistics and I found myself flicking through quickly on occasions as there are sometimes too many numbers to try to absorb. I will definitely refer back to this book in future months and years when my foreign relatives come to visit armed with questions! I highly recommend this book to anyone regardless of their depth of knowledge in the UK.

2.0 out of 5 stars Obvious errors make me distrust the rest, 12 Mar. 2014
Badly let down by inaccuracies. If you're going to chide people for not knowing facts, you need to make sure you have them right yourself. Roger Bannister's sub-four minute mile was run in 3.59 minutes, not 3.69 (the clue is there) and I've never heard of the racing driver Jenson Bunton. These are just the ones I noticed - so how do I know the rest of the book is correct?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Informative, 3 Oct. 2013
Test your knowledge and learn obscure facts about Great Britain you never knew before! A great gift for those who love quiz's and trivia.

1.0 out of 5 stars SUPERFICIAL, 21 Jan. 2014
Very superficial and in some places inaccurate. A survey of the UK that makes no mention of her Armed Forces!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very clever parody - perhaps too subtle, 12 Dec. 2014
David Cross "davorg" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
People don't seem to realise that this is a parody. I think perhaps that the jokes are rather too subtle in places, but it's clear if you look harder. There are too many factual errors for it to be a serious book.

Not sure what my favourite joke in the book was. Perhaps the claim that the Last Night of the Proms is an "eight-week season of classical music". Or maybe the bit that talks about Roger Bannister's sub-four-minute mile was run in "3 minutes 69.4 seconds".

I do worry that the humour is too subtle and that people will assume they can trust the facts in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I should but didn't!, 28 May 2014
Excellent book. Very interesting. Full of information. Good broad range of subjects covered and anecdotes which made it quite funny too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Things you should know (as if), 12 Mar. 2014
Being born and bred in the UK it's useful to know that should I ever need to prove it I will totally fail.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Britain.I should know that, 9 Mar. 2014
Very average and not what I hoped for.I will persist though and keep it for future reference for myself and children..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›