LOOKS
=====
Sometimes when you get a gadget, the pictures in a brochure or online simply look stunning. And then, when you get the item in the flesh, there's a sense of disappointment. Hmmm, well, how can I put this? Well, this is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Truly amazing. It feels like the future.
I think this looks and feels like 2014. Whereas I think it's competitor: the apple air is starting to look a little tired.

WILL IT HELP YOU TIME TRAVEL?
=============================
I did a test and I am happy to report that it does help with time travel. I haven't managed to go back in time yet. But in terms of time travel forwards: this makes time whizz by* (*the time travel is in real time. And is forwards only.)

HEAVY?
======
Not really, slightly heavier than the macbook air.

DISPLAY
=======
The display is beautiful, crisp and sharp. Vibrant colours appear to jump out of the screen.

KEYBOARD
========
Nice and responsive. Solid and not at all cheap.

CAMERA
======
Tested this with skype and it was fine. Not grainy and captured some detail that my old laptop camera wouldn't have.

BATTERY LIFE
============
This is important for me as I hate when you have to plug a laptop in when you are in the middle of something. Often when a socket isn't available. I used this for a mixture of things, and got on average 6 hours before it was asking for a charge. I was happy with that. Very happy.

VALUE
=====
It does fluctuate and is often as much as £1200. Mine was about 15% cheaper and I think it's a bargain as it'll last me years.

FAST
====
Superfast connection to my wifi, not once dropping off. USB stick seemed to be faster too.

RECOMMENDED
===========
Yep. It's lovely.
on 1 December 2014
It's beautifully packaged and looks pretty good. The general build quality seems fine although the rough edge around the screen is less impressive. Battery life is great at 5-7 hours.
But.... it worked OK with a few glitches for 4 months, then stopped, it seems the hard drive is probably dead. ASUS warranty is a return to base with an aim of 10 day turnaround. Guaranteed all data wiped and no option of retrieving the broken hard drive. So, nice design but just 2 stars for

Unreliable hard drive
Poor service turnaround (not as good as others)
Inflexible service process.

I wouldn't recommend ASUS
on 19 October 2014
Managed to get this laptop pretty cheaply manufacture refurbed (£430+£65p&p) from USA ebay. It arrived and all is well and good but a few minor things that really let it down.

1: the Hitachi HD that comes with it sucks. It is really slow and bottlenecks the entire system. I ran Crystal Diskmark and it was getting 0.3 on Sequential 4k read/write. Im going to upgrade it to a WD black. Normally that is expected of laptops but when you are getting a high end spec one like this, you'd expect a better HD. It has a Sandisk mSata card in but im not sure that is even doing anything...(I could be wrong).

2: it comes with tons of ASUS bloatwear which i spent a while uninstalling.

3: slight backlight bleed, this is quite common but can be annoying. I don't really notice it tbh.

Other than that, great laptop. I've had a couple of issues with the frame but thats just specific to mine and you probably wont have that if you buy it new!
on 9 March 2014
Bought when it was only £780 and am amazed by what I got for that price point. Very snappy out of the box despite having only a 16gb msata boot SSD but I still decided to upgrade to a samsung 840 evo 250gb and stick windows 7 on it (prefer it to windows 8).

Pros:

Fast (i7 4500U and 16gb SSD boot drive)
Battery Life (6.5 - 7 hours of general use)
Beautiful design
WiFi speed is excellent
Fairly easy to upgrade SSD and RAM - doesn't void your warranty.
Stays surprisingly cool at idle and load
100% silent at idle and still quiet at load
Very light and slim
Satisfying build quality
Very large mousepad with great quality chiclet keyboard
Comes with nice accessories (carrying case, usb to ethernet adaptor, usb to VGA adaptor, cleaning cloth)
Surprising number of ports considering the form factor. (HDMI, 3x USB 3.0, mini display port, headphone/mic combo port)
Impressive screen considering price point (1920x1080 IPS)
Responsive touch screen
Considerably loud speakers for this form factor
Decent storage 750GB

Cons:

Weak GPU (although not really designed for gaming) however still plays older titles fairly well
Speakers can sound a bit tin-y and have quite weak bass
Windows 8 is subjectively a downgrade from windows 7
Slightly heavier than UX301 and Macbook air
Current price of £1200 is DEFINITELY NOT WORTH IT! (£900 seems more appropriate).
on 22 October 2014
When I bought this I'd read a few reviews that complained of poor build quality - particularly relating to leakage on the screen and warping on the keyboard. My unit had no keyboard warping. A little light leakage occurs at the bottom of the screen but this only noticable when the screen is black at boot time. After months of use I've watched videos in full screen and they have been crisp with no evidence of shading. The colous on my TV when connected to the HDMI port are more vibrant.

I changed the cache to a 128GB half height SSD. It was tricky to move the OS to the SSD and Asus could provide better support to such an obvious and cheap upgrade path. Once installed the system boots almost instantly and runs silently.

I use the HDD as valuable data storage so that the life of the SSD is not deminished by constant data re-writes. The HDD is quick and quiet - as is the whole system. I rarely hear the fan.

The HDD storage was a big issue for me since UK cloud infrastructure has poor upload speeds. I use the cloud for important documents and pictures - but anyone hoping to store their music collection or videos on cloud will need to be very patient. I've a large video and music colection stored on my NAS and the Asus fast wifi has no problem in quickly loading and syncing my media library.

After many months of use I remain happy with this system. The simple SSD upgrade has creasted a very fast system that has excellent wifi and adequate local data storage. I've not experienced fan noise or heat issues.
on 9 March 2014
It's got that wow factor. great looking machine, excellent build quality, honestly better than i was expecting.
The screen is amazing. Sound Quality spot on. A bonus to find high quality DAC inside so it does sound great on headphones.
I love it.

Critiscm; The 'enter' key is slightly strangely positioned. the # key seems to be squeezed in where it should be, but it's a minor thing.
Comes with Windows 8 which is pretty bad. what were they thinking at Microsoft.. decided to bear with it and upgrade to 8.1. BIG improvement and I'm starting to like the new OS.

my choices were between this , the ux301, dell xps 15 (new), yoga pro 2, or vaio multiflip.
I do not regret my decisoin - highly recommended.battery life - been up and runing for 5 hours and battery still has 1hr 23 left..
not compaining about that.

Highly recommended.
on 11 June 2014
This machine is very slick in presentation with much thought being given to every detail of design. It's speed and power are state-of-the-art.
on 14 June 2014
Hard drive failed within a week. Of course the warranty does not cover the cost of recovering your data, reinstalling all your applications, setting up Outlook etc etc. All of which is a days work.

Paid for a new one and returned faulty one for a refund

Replacement seems fine.....so far
on 6 September 2014
THis is a great looking product, but there is one significant problem. Windows 8! This latest version of the windows operating system is continually needing to be worked on. The internal wifi receiver has stopped, the tabs on the Windows shop stop working, the list seems to be endless. A nice looking product spoilt by WIndows 8.
on 24 July 2014
Looks beautiful. Nothing but trouble since day 1. Ceased working.