4.0 out of 5 stars Flip door cover
Published 10 months ago by Latent

2.0 out of 5 stars Fatally flawed
Published 11 months ago by gridref

2.0 out of 5 stars Fatally flawed, 1 Feb 2014
I really liked this case for about a week; the fact that it fits on to the back of the phone is an elegant solution. The feel of the material is very good and I like the flip cover. However there is a fundamental design flaw which has resulted in me sending the cover back and may prove to be very expensive indeed. Despite the cover being by Motorola for a Motorola Moto G phone, the magnetic flip cover has completely messed up the magnetometer in the phone rendering any app which employs compass bearings unusable. Google Maps, Google Earth, various astronomy apps such as Sky Eye and ISS tracker are completely baffled and fail to work. Sky Eye described it as an extremely unusual magnetic field. Basic compass apps don't point north but spin around depending on where the case flap is being held. There is a piece of metal in the back of the case which is supposed to shield the magnetometer but it fails completely. The magnet appears to be far too strong; you could easily use it to stick the phone to a fridge or something.

Crucially, I removed the cover and replaced it with the original phone back in the hope of restoring the functionality. I'm rather sorry to report that this has NOT solved the problem and the magnetometer appears to have been completely fried. Google Maps is still confused; even a simple compass doesn't work. It is not just me; a quick search reveals that others have had the same issue; some have complained to Motorola, who appears to have replied along the lines of 'it's a magnet - tough'. That's not good enough in my opinion. My new phone is now not fully functional and I don't know how I stand in terms of warranty. I'm not happy.

It may be that you don't feel that geographic direction is not important and you can live with the problems caused, but it is a fundamental feature of many apps these days. Bear it in mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flip door cover, 10 Feb 2014
I thought at first it might have been a bit flimsy, but that is not the case. It clips securely onto the back of the phone and the front magnetised section folds flat against the screen switching off whatever you have going on in the process. Folded back, the front flat area actually makes the phone easier to hold and use so no problem there. (This probably depends on the size of your hands; mine are big.)
If you are using the main camera, then obviously you cant fold it back but have to hold it open. This where you have to develop some form of technique trying to hold the flap cover and the camera steady. It is not easy.
Perhaps if the flat cover had holes in it for the camera lense and the flash it would be better.
As protective covers go it is quite acceptable overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars great phone protection, 15 Jan 2014
Mr. C. Pugh (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moto G Flip Cover - Vivid Red (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Bought this to get more protection for screen without the useless normal type of protectors.
It not only does that but the sleep action when closed is really good. Also it does not add any bulk to phone and is quite smart looking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Jan 2014
Shortly put, it is a high quality product. Better materials than the S4 plastic £35 flip case and does the same auto on/off for the screen. Adds a few mm of thickness to the body, not the front.

1.0 out of 5 stars We need to talk about the Motorola Flip Door Case Cover for Moto G, 26 Feb 2014
I ordered this case after seeing all the positive reviews on here. At first I was not disappointed, although in retrospect choosing the white finish was foolish - it gets very dirty, very quickly. That is but a minor issue however with what followed.

For the most part the positive reviews are spot on. The case fits brilliantly, looks great, integrates seamlessly with the phone, is simple to apply, has a great textured finish which the otherwise brilliant Moto G lacks. All good.

Then the problems began.

About 4 days after applying the cover things slowly started going wrong. The first thing to go was my WIFI connectivity - every time I shut the cover the WIFI setting switched itself to off. I persevered, a quirk I thought.

Next to go was the keyboard - when trying to type in google or an address bar etc The keyboard would become unresponsive or I would type a couple of characters and then it would stop and shut down.

Next to go were various apps that would shut themselves down mid-use, for no apparent reason.

Then went the alerts for text messages, emails etc. Rather than come through naturally they would come through in bunches of 5 or 6 with huge delays. General responsiveness had slowed down considerably.

Finally a week or so ago all camera functionality completely shut down and just came up with an error message.

Begrudgingly I removed the cover, performed a factory reset and bought a crappy leather case from the local market for a tenner.

Since then my Moto G has performed perfectly and has returned to the Moto G I knew and loved, rather than the HAL 9000 impostor it had become.

I am no tech guy, so this is pure speculation on my part, but I imagine part of the problem is the SUPER MAGNET inside the case. Seriously, it sticks to my fridge like a leech! This works brilliantly to keep the flip door in place, but unfortunately seems to kill your phone as a functioning device.

Imagine putting your phone in the Large Hadron Collider (albeit on a slightly smaller scale), that is essentially what you are doing by applying this case to your phone. Is it any wonder that it turns it into a Sociopathic paper weight?

Motorola/Google - this is an official product that you have released to enhance your otherwise brilliant device. Did you test it at all? It reminds me of when Apple released iPhone 4, then realised you needed a fricking bumper to actually use it. Honestly the road testing policy seem to have taken a leaf out of The Grauniad's proof reading notebook...put it up there and then we'll check it when people complain!

A friend warned me when I said I was ordering this cover that they had seen similar problems on another review...I laughingly ignored her advice. Please don't do the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cover, did just as I expected!, 23 Dec 2013
This cover replaces the back of the phone, so there is no additional bulk and the the flip cover protects the screen with a handy magnetic fastening. Would definitely recommend!

1.0 out of 5 stars Magnet wipes train tickets and credit cards, 4 Jun 2014
Design flaw. Otherwise would've been fine. Magnet is too strong. Cant keep it near your wallet. Some more words here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection for my Moto G, 30 Jan 2014
I love it. I feel my phone is protected and it fits like a glove. Feels good to the touch too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Case Magnet interferes with GPS, 3 July 2014
Jason Jackson "JJ" (UK) - See all my reviews
I want to give this case no stars....the magnet for the door interferes with the phone badly....Google Sky is way off....Anything that uses the GPS is pretty much useless....And its a Motorola Case....And to make matters worse....there is nothing else like it....AWESOME....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product, 24 Dec 2013
D. Gray - See all my reviews
I bought this because my previous two phones met their end via a smashed screen (and hence why I've bought a Moto G - an inexpensive, but high quality device).

This cover completely replaces the default rear shell - an ingenious way of adding no bulk to the phone. The flip cover is magnetic and will remain closed even if I turn my phone upside down. Through black magic the phone will lock/unlock when you close/open the flip cover.

The aesthetics are very pleasing, and make the phone appear even more premium. The shell is textured, compared to the smooth default shell. In my opinion this allows for a more secure grip on the phone.

Moto G Flip Cover - Vivid Red